Weather Sealing on Canon Eos R5

None of that means the cameras are water- or splash-proof. Using your camera in the rain is always a gamble. Personally, I’ve used my 7D and R3 in light rain and my 1D X in moderately heavy rain (always with L lenses) and had no issues. But if my camera or lens did fail after use in the rain, I know it would be my responsibility to pay for repairs.
That would be your opinion, mine is if used properly it should be a warranty claim if under warranty.

Per Canon:
This is on the product description at Canon USA "the EOS R3 camera proves to be a reliable partner in virtually any climate."
If used properly in the rain, with the appropriate lens, I would expect it to be a warranty claim for the R3 as their weather sealing failed.
To a certain extent Canon tells you the precautions to take in the rain. Page 25 of the advanced users guide.
The warranty gives verbiage for their argument if you have water damage. But the statement is not definitive.

Using any of my bodies has never been a problem in the rain, common sense applied.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That would be your opinion, mine is if used properly it should be a warranty claim if under warranty.

Per Canon:
This is on the product description at Canon USA "the EOS R3 camera proves to be a reliable partner in virtually any climate."
If used properly in the rain, with the appropriate lens, I would expect it to be a warranty claim for the R3 as their weather sealing failed.
To a certain extent Canon tells you the precautions to take in the rain. Page 25 of the advanced users guide.
The warranty gives verbiage for their argument if you have water damage. But the statement is not definitive.

Using any of my bodies has never been a problem in the rain, common sense applied.
Should your camera suffer water damage, I wish you luck prosecuting your warranty claim with Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

GPA

Dec 1, 2022
As I said, they’re not IP rated. When they say ‘dust and weather resistance’, they mean they use a variety of engineering methods to reduce the chance of dust/moisture ingress. Those include (in increasing order of protection) tight joins, foam seals, and rubber seals / O-rings. The better the camera/lens sealing the more foam and rubber are used, so a 1-series camera has many rubber seals and O-rings while an R10 has few. An R5 is in the middle.

None of that means the cameras are water- or splash-proof. Using your camera in the rain is always a gamble. Personally, I’ve used my 7D and R3 in light rain and my 1D X in moderately heavy rain (always with L lenses) and had no issues. But if my camera or lens did fail after use in the rain, I know it would be my responsibility to pay for repairs.

AFAIK, the only ILC with a strong IP rating was the Nikon 1 AW1 and it’s associated lenses, they were waterproof to 15 m. That was part of Nikon’s first MILC venture, that ultimately failed.
No argument, just annoyed they don't. I would think providing IP would help people decide R5 vs R3 or wait till R1. I'll keep my R5 unless I drop it in Puget Sound.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Warranties are written for legal claims, where customer service is geared toward customer relation. It costs nothing to request.
Sure, sure. And it costs Canon nothing to decline your request, except your good will which they really don't need.

The operating instructions state:
This camera is designed to be dust- and drip- resistant, in order to help prevent sand, dust, dirt, or water that falls on it unexpectedly from getting inside, but it is impossible to prevent dirt, dust, water, or salt from getting inside at all. As far as possible, do not allow dirt, dust, water, or salt to get on the camera.

The warranty states:
This limited warranty covers all defects encountered in normal use of the Product, and does not apply in the following cases:
(a) Loss of or damage to the Product due to abuse, mishandling, improper packaging by you, alteration, accident, electrical current fluctuations, failure to follow operating, maintenance or environmental instructions prescribed in Canon U.S.A.'s or Canon Canada's user's manual or services performed by someone other than Canon U.S.A. or Canon Canada, or a Canon authorized service provider for the Product. Without limiting the foregoing, water damage, sand/corrosion damage, battery leakage, dropping the Product, scratches, abrasions or damage to the body, lenses or LCD display or damage to the any of the accessories mentioned in the first paragraph above will be presumed to have resulted from misuse, abuse or failure to operate the Product as set forth in the operating instructions

Therefore, if you allow water to get on the camera you are failing to operate the Product as set forth in the operating instructions, and the warranty does not apply. That's all Canon has to say when they refuse to repair your water-damaged camera for free.

The bottom line is that Canon will likely not even service a camera that has suffered water ingress, and if they do it will not be for free even during the warranty period. The best approach would be to have your gear insured, and if the value of the damaged gear is sufficiently high, consider filing an insurance claim for replacement.

Upvote 0
As Neuro said, it can take time. Best thing to do is follow AlanF’s advice. Pack it with Silica gel, you can get them from Amazon, the more the better. These cameras are not waterproof.

Is every one sure that R5 isn't waterproof?
I know a guy that took his diving once.
But he only took it once.
I went diving for my R5.... Couldn't get it. It was in the middle of the night--- I'd knocked it (on tripod) into a reservoir downstream from Hells Canyon, whilst shooting Milky Way time-lapses. Gave up, slept a few brief fitful hours. After it being ~10' under for six hours, I managed to retrieve it, with a makeshift bottom fishing rig, with some string and Home Depot rope I had in my truck...and a rock for a weight. Only reason I got it was that I have flourescent tape on my tripod in six places. Water was murky and I wasn't able to dive down, find and grab the one leg that was off the bottom... I'm now being extra careful with its replacement.

Upvote 0

GPA

Dec 1, 2022
I went diving for my R5.... Couldn't get it. It was in the middle of the night--- I'd knocked it (on tripod) into a reservoir downstream from Hells Canyon, whilst shooting Milky Way time-lapses. Gave up, slept a few brief fitful hours. After it being ~10' under for six hours, I managed to retrieve it, with a makeshift bottom fishing rig, with some string and Home Depot rope I had in my truck...and a rock for a weight. Only reason I got it was that I have flourescent tape on my tripod in six places. Water was murky and I wasn't able to dive down, find and grab the one leg that was off the bottom... I'm now being extra careful with its replacement.
:unsure: Justification for a new camera and lens?

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
As long as a camera is not IP rated, and you can't PROVE you exposed it to the exact conditions defined by IP, you'll stand no chance of getting a free repair.
And even should you succeed in delivering a proof, almost impossible outside a testing laboratory, a free repair will still depend on the manufacturer's good will. I once experienced such an issue after diving with a Nikonos...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No argument, just annoyed they don't. I would think providing IP would help people decide R5 vs R3 or wait till R1. I'll keep my R5 unless I drop it in Puget Sound.
See my post just above. Read it and then this and you'll see that I'm a basket case. About 9-1-20 I was at Rialto Beach, with two tripods set up, shooting the Milky Way. I thought the tide was going out. I was wrong. A new acquaintance spotted the rogue wave knock over my 5D IV and grabbed it. It was under for 1-5 seconds, I think. I didn't wash it off (only had a few ounces of fresh drinking water with me) or take the battery out. Sent it to Canon. It came back as unrepairable but with a nice letter offering me 10% off on anything. It proceeded to turn on (it wouldn't for me, after the disaster)

Well, until a few short months ago, it worked perfectly. Now it seems to have bricked two batteries- one being the new H one that came with my first R5. It stays on and has to be switched off. Now I only use it with older batteries that show one bar for their charge hold ability. Tested it and compared it with my 7D II shooting intervals of a wall in my house. It worked fine. So, I'll keep on using it...and hope the corrosion doesn't keep spreading. This was the last shot before the dunk 1673032513893.png

Upvote 0

GPA

Dec 1, 2022
See my post just above. Read it and then this and you'll see that I'm a basket case. About 9-1-20 I was at Rialto Beach, with two tripods set up, shooting the Milky Way. I thought the tide was going out. I was wrong. A new acquaintance spotted the rogue wave knock over my 5D IV and grabbed it. It was under for 1-5 seconds, I think. I didn't wash it off (only had a few ounces of fresh drinking water with me) or take the battery out. Sent it to Canon. It came back as unrepairable but with a nice letter offering me 10% off on anything. It proceeded to turn on (it wouldn't for me, after the disaster)

Well, until a few short months ago, it worked perfectly. Now it seems to have bricked two batteries- one being the new H one that came with my first R5. It stays on and has to be switched off. Now I only use it with older batteries that show one bar for their charge hold ability. Tested it and compared it with my 7D II shooting intervals of a wall in my house. It worked fine. So, I'll keep on using it...and hope the corrosion doesn't keep spreading. This was the last shot before the dunk View attachment 207096
(y) intending to head over to La Push this spring/summer and hopefully capture the MW.

Upvote 0
:unsure: Justification for a new camera and lens?
Note my last sentence... "extra careful with its replacement" I got a used Rokinon 24 f/1.4 to replace the dunked one... which still works, but is ugly inside! I'd just gotten PPA insurance, but they made me also go through my homeowner's, which didn't make me happy. I got the new R5 via cpwatch.com for no tax and $150 off, so, all told, only paid $100, allowing for the combined deductible.

Speaking of Gordon and cpwatch.. I had ordered the first R5 on day one, via his discount, from B&H..It didn't come. I ended up getting two from Camera Canada, no tax again and discounts. Sold one and the one that finally came from B&H--made almost $600!! Gordon never misses a deal.... he feeds my OCGD....sigh!!

Attached is the 1st and 2nd image that the dunked camera saved after it went swimming... and the last one prior. Six second exposures. 1st "wet" one shows some star squiggles as it was falling (prolly 1/2 second... with the sharp stars noted for the first few seconds. the haze would be as it was sinking. Next shot is recording my red head lamp beam. Then, the camera said enough already. Thankfully, the 2 tb Delkin CF-E card survived, as it had gobs on it!

Attachments

• Canon EOS R5 - 0545 - small_resize.jpg
    Canon EOS R5 - 0545 - small_resize.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Canon EOS R5 - 0546 oopsie_resize.jpg
    Canon EOS R5 - 0546 oopsie_resize.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Canon EOS R5 - 0544 last dry shot small Copy_resize.jpg
    Canon EOS R5 - 0544 last dry shot small Copy_resize.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
(y) intending to head over to La Push this spring/summer and hopefully capture the MW.
Summer is better due to the MW timing and position. but if a good spot can be found that faces south east a bit, then late spring can work. I've now shot it at Second Beach, Ruby twice, Rialto, Flattery and Shi Shi . This was 9-2-21 at Second Beach. It's processed from a total of 15 in camera raw files, in HDR vivid.. and stitched . (5 shot landscape mode panorama, Rokinon 24 f/1.4) The camera did an acceptable job of aligning each of the HDR's..especially considering that the average exposure was 10 seconds.

You should join me, as I plan to spend at least two days at Shi Shi... I was only there for a few hours.. and needed to hike a good distance south to Point of the Arches. plan is to capture tidal pool images at low tide, sunsets and the MW

Attachments

• Canon EOS R5 - 3D4A6796_sm 5 shot HDR titch_resize.jpg
    Canon EOS R5 - 3D4A6796_sm 5 shot HDR titch_resize.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0