Weekend Lexar Memory Card Sale at Adorama

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/03/weekend-lexar-memory-card-sale-at-adorama/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/03/weekend-lexar-memory-card-sale-at-adorama/">Tweet</a></div>
<p>Adorama has up to 50% off large capacity memory cards this weekend. Both professional SD and CF cards are on the list.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?category=1000075%204294962920&sort=p_price_sort%7c1&emailprice=t&utm_term=Search&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Search&utm_source=rflaid64393" target="_blank">Lexar deals at Adorama</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

According B&H, who somehow seem to get the write speed specs from everyone:

"The 64GB Professional 1066x Compact Flash Memory Card (UDMA 7) from Lexar features a 64GB storage capacity perfect for storing large files including high-quality photos, 1080p Full-HD, 3D, and 4K video. With a 1066x speed rating, this card is capable of achieving data read speeds of up to 160 MB/s and data write speeds of up to 155 MB/s, allowing you to transfer your files via the card-to-computer transfer method via a UDMA 7-enabled card reader (sold separately). "

Upvote 0
BEWARE LEXAR FAIL!

I had 2 Lexar 1000X Professional CF cards literally die on me. One time after taking 500 irreplaceable
vacation photos and the second time after 2 hours of a paid shoot which I had to restart completely.
I went back to Sandisk Extreme Pro 1066X which hasn't failed me in 13 years.
Save yourself a headache and don't buy Lexar.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Re: BEWARE LEXAR FAIL!

clicstudio said:
I had 2 Lexar 1000X Professional CF cards literally die on me. One time after taking 500 irreplaceable
vacation photos and the second time after 2 hours of a paid shoot which I had to restart completely.

The lever cards I've had have never failed... but I do think the premium for SanDisk is warranted.

I had a SanDisk sd card die on me after my wife washed and dried it 100 times... but those were extenuating circumstances.

Upvote 0

clicstudio said:

Your personal anecdotes are just anecdotes. You may have gotten counterfeit cards, you may have mistreated them, or you may be the statistical anomaly that had two fail in a short span. Every manufacturer will have a small percentage of defects; you happened to bump into defects labeled "Lexar." Others tell the same story with Sandisk..or whatever. I've used cheap (Transcend) cards for years without problem. I always test new cards thoroughly before using them. Do you test your new cards?

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore

Orangutan said:
clicstudio said:

Your personal anecdotes are just anecdotes. You may have gotten counterfeit cards, you may have mistreated them, or you may be the statistical anomaly that had two fail in a short span. Every manufacturer will have a small percentage of defects; you happened to bump into defects labeled "Lexar." Others tell the same story with Sandisk..or whatever. I've used cheap (Transcend) cards for years without problem. I always test new cards thoroughly before using them. Do you test your new cards?

Anecdote or not, I've mentioned on CR a couple times regards failed Lexar 128GB Pro Cards, bought 4 through Amazon, 1 of the 4 arrived Dead on Arrival, could not be formatted in camera or by computer, Amazon exchanged it for a new one, within 6 months I had 2 of the 4 cards fail at different times in different 1Dx bodies, fortunately I was able to save 70% of the Images by using Sandisc Rescue Pro, but the cards failed again even after a deep format on computer).

I do still have the remaining 2 as back ups to MY 128GB Pro Sandisc Cards, I doubt wether I would try Lexar Cards again after my own experience. Originally when I purchased the lexar Cards it was because they were 20% faster than the equivalent Sandisc, that's no longer the case, Sandisc I've been using for several years with zero failures.

It may well be anecdotal, but we generally take experiences like this and make decisions going forward that are reflected by that experience, i.e.. no more Lexar Cards for me.

Upvote 0

eml58 said:
Orangutan said:
Your personal anecdotes are just anecdotes.
It may well be anecdotal, but we generally take experiences like this and make decisions going forward that are reflected by that experience

Yes, that's true. My point was that I've heard the same story with the villain being Sandisk or some other brand. All manufacturers ship some defective stock. Amazon (and other vendors) are in good position to know if they're getting heavy returns on certain brands or models and can (and have) suspended sales of those. If Amazon continues to sell them, it's likely Lexars do not have an overall failure rate out of line with the industry as a whole.

My questions are: did you buy from Amazon itself or from another vendor through Amazon? After how many full uses did the cards fail? I.e., did they fail early (first 20-30 uses) middle (30-150) or later? If they failed early, I'll again recommend testing all cards with a computer and card reader before trusting them for high-value use.

If the problem is not really with Lexar, you're at risk of having the same experience with Sandisk.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011

Orangutan said:
clicstudio said:

I don't want to pick on anyone... but if you have multiple cards fail... it might not be the cards... it is more likely that you are the common denominator.

Upvote 0

clicstudio said:

Probably just random luck. In my case, the only card of any brand I've ever had fail was a SanDisk, once.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore

jdramirez said:
I don't want to pick on anyone... but if you have multiple cards fail... it might not be the cards... it is more likely that you are the common denominator.

And that's a reasonable point, opening the Card Door & or trying to remove the cards while the Camera is still in shutdown mode is a guaranteed Card screw Up, done that.

And it's also fair to say all manufactured equipment has a failure rate.

Upvote 0

eml58 said:
jdramirez said:

And that's a reasonable point, opening the Card Door & or trying to remove the cards while the Camera is still in shutdown mode is a guaranteed Card screw Up, done that.

And it's also fair to say all manufactured equipment has a failure rate.

It's always good to start with the question "other people don't seem to have this problem, so what could I be doing wrong." Even if it turns out the problem is hardware failure, it doesn't hurt to talk to others about their experiences, and think it through carefully. True failure rate on major brand cards must be very low or we'd see a lot more complaints. Having multiple faulty cards certainly isn't impossible, but it is very unlikely.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Orangutan said:
jdramirez said:
I hate spending money on memory cards. So I test them like I do my lenses and bodies... so I under and remove them as little as possible.

What's your test procedure?

Stupid phone. I treat them like my lenses and body... at least it didn't replace the word with testes... I might have more explaining to do.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Orangutan said:
jdramirez said:
I hate spending money on memory cards. So I test them like I do my lenses and bodies... so I under and remove them as little as possible.

What's your test procedure?

Stupid phone. I treat them like my lenses and body... at least it didn't replace the word with testes... I might have more explaining to do.

:)

Hey, that gives me an idea for a new feature in the P&S market: your camera suggests the photo composition; you can override it of course, but why would you override the superior AI? :p

Upvote 0