Well, this sucks... Camera and Lens snapped at the mount

Jun 25, 2012
Canada
I went out Sunday for my first photo excursion of 2019. My buddy and I arrived at Vermillion Lakes in Banff, AB just before sunrise in the hopes of catching some glorious morning light.

The sunrise was amazing. I was predominately using my 5DsR and 24-70, and I captured two images that I'm quite happy with.

Unfortunately, shortly afterwards, while walking around with my Manfrotto Bumblee 230 backpack on, I slipped backwards and landed on my butt. Only the bottom portion the backpack hit the ground. When I opened my back pack my 1D X Mark II and EF 100-400 II had separated.

One of the len's metal flanges had broken off, and the other was bent. The camera-body mount protruded slightly from the body, and appears to also have broken some metal. The top LCD screen also popped off the camera.

I've sent both the lens and the camera body off to CPS Canon Canada. I"m expecting an expensive repair. I'm also worried that the lens and camera will never focus accurately, or as well as they did, again. I never had to do micro adjustments with this combination before. :(

I've asked CPS to fix the mount and check for other internal damage on the 1DX2. With regard to the lens, I've asked them to fix the mount, check the IS unit, and to check for element decentering as well as focus accuracy and consistency.

This is the first time anything like this has happened to me. I'm really upset about it.

Has anyone else had their lens mount or body mount repaired or replaced before? If so, what was your experience after the repair?

I'll post some pictures of the damage, as well as the two keeper images I managed to capture from the otherwise terrible day.

Attachments

• IMG_4847.jpg
    IMG_4847.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_4846.jpg
    IMG_4846.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_4848.jpg
    IMG_4848.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_4849.jpg
    IMG_4849.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_4850.jpg
    IMG_4850.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 530
  • _61A8992-Edit-Edit-Edit copy.jpg
    _61A8992-Edit-Edit-Edit copy.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 548
  • _61A9032-Edit-Edit-Edit copy.jpg
    _61A9032-Edit-Edit-Edit copy.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 541
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
That's what always scares me when I'm out in either of the polar regions--falling on the ice or snow and breaking either my equipment or a bone! Looks like you've suffered a painful (to the pocketbook) injury o_O
Catherine

Hi Catherine,

It's always a risk, especially this time of the year with all the freezing and thawing that's been going on. Fortunately, nothing was damaged on me other than my pride.

Still, having equipment that you're proud of damaged practically before your eyes hurts in a different way too.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
During my last vacation in Jersey (the channel island), I dropped my 24 TSE lens from a height of 3 ft. on concrete. It fell on its filter.
After that, the lens' rear optical group was tilted, focusing was impossible, and electronic communication was disrupted. To put it short: the repair cost about $1200, BUT, the lens was every bit as good as before!

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi R1.
Sorry to hear / see the damage you have done to your equipment, but it could be so much worse, you could have seriously injured yourself, in fact I’ll bet it hurt like hell anyway! There must have been significant forces to do such damage!
The good thing is that you did capture a couple of really nice shots, I particularly like the second shot, the nice should be some small recompense for the loss. And yes I understand the feeling of regret you have and the dread you feel towards relieving your repaired gear in less than perfect working order and the hassle of proving such.
To help mitigate this dread do see some of the reports of repair bills, people complaining of the cost and about how much was replaced for a little damage! It seems they will likely replace absolutely every item that could have sustained damage and this is what will give you the best chance of having a perfect repair.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
In a case where a fall is likely, carrying the camera with lens unmounted would probably have eliminated or greatly reduced damage. I hope you had insurance. Some backpacks absorb shock better than others, but with a lens mounted to camera, the forces at the mount can be incredible.

I'd certainly file a Warranty Claim with Manfrotto. They claim it will protect a camera with lens mounted and it did not. The claim is similar for other Bumblee Models.

"The Bumblebee-130 PL backpack keeps a high-end CSC or a DSLR safe with a 70-200/2.8 lens attached and eight additional lenses or an unattached 400/2.8 with three additional lenses. In video configuration, it protects disassembled modular camcorders like a SONY FS-5. It also fits a 15” laptop in its own padded compartment."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
During my last vacation in Jersey (the channel island), I dropped my 24 TSE lens from a height of 3 ft. on concrete. It fell on its filter.
After that, the lens' rear optical group was tilted, focusing was impossible, and electronic communication was disrupted. To put it short: the repair cost about $1200, BUT, the lens was every bit as good as before!

Ouch, both in terms of what happened as well as repair costs. I'm really happy to hear, though, that Canon was able to make the lens as good as before. That's comforting.

The equipment is tough, but there are still tight tolerances. It's nice to know that they can get it back in tip-top shape.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Hi R1.
Sorry to hear / see the damage you have done to your equipment, but it could be so much worse, you could have seriously injured yourself, in fact I’ll bet it hurt like hell anyway! There must have been significant forces to do such damage!
The good thing is that you did capture a couple of really nice shots, I particularly like the second shot, the nice should be some small recompense for the loss. And yes I understand the feeling of regret you have and the dread you feel towards relieving your repaired gear in less than perfect working order and the hassle of proving such.
To help mitigate this dread do see some of the reports of repair bills, people complaining of the cost and about how much was replaced for a little damage! It seems they will likely replace absolutely every item that could have sustained damage and this is what will give you the best chance of having a perfect repair.

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Graham,

Thanks, and I agree; I'm grateful I wasn't seriously hurt. It would have been very easy to have broken a bone or to have torn something.

Thank you also for your thoughts and complements on my images. After getting the files on the computer and seeing that there was something worthwhile to edit and publish certainly softened the blow.

I'll be going through insurance for the repair, so I'm quite happy if Canon wants to repair anything that looks like it took a knock.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
In a case where a fall is likely, carrying the camera with lens unmounted would probably have eliminated or greatly reduced damage. I hope you had insurance. Some backpacks absorb shock better than others, but with a lens mounted to camera, the forces at the mount can be incredible.

I'd certainly file a Warranty Claim with Manfrotto. They claim it will protect a camera with lens mounted and it did not. The claim is similar for other Bumblee Models.

"The Bumblebee-130 PL backpack keeps a high-end CSC or a DSLR safe with a 70-200/2.8 lens attached and eight additional lenses or an unattached 400/2.8 with three additional lenses. In video configuration, it protects disassembled modular camcorders like a SONY FS-5. It also fits a 15” laptop in its own padded compartment."

Thanks for that information, Mt. Spokane!

I will look into that.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Thanks for that information, Mt. Spokane!

I will look into that.
They will likely put you off, but then you can post photos of the damage and the backpack on social media saying that they do not honor their claim. You can also post on the reviews section of B&H and Amazon warning people not to believe their claim. Just be honest, don't exadurate, honest reviews just let people know that they should be aware.

Some credit cards have a warranty, It would not hurt to call the card company if Manfroto doesn't help. My homeowners insurance covers that type of accident as well.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mt Spokane, R1.
I feel that it might be reasonable for Manfrotto to use a version of the advisory found on some motorcycle crash helmets, “Some reasonably foreseeable impacts may exceed this helmet's bags capability to protect against severe injury or death damage or breakages!”
I’m not trying to play down the pain of the breakages, but if it is good enough for a piece of personal protection equipment to have this disclaimer then a camera bag might be expected to be allowed the same grace, however they do make quite a bold claim and although it does state 70-200mm 2.8 the 100-400 L II is pretty much the same size and weight.

Cheers, Graham.

They will likely put you off, but then you can post photos of the damage and the backpack on social media saying that they do not honor their claim. You can also post on the reviews section of B&H and Amazon warning people not to believe their claim. Just be honest, don't exadurate, honest reviews just let people know that they should be aware.

Some credit cards have a warranty, It would not hurt to call the card company if Manfroto doesn't help. My homeowners insurance covers that type of accident as well.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada

I have no doubt they'll put me off. Hell, battling with insurance companies who I have paid for this sort of thing, is often bad enough. Going through someone who can just dismiss the "tenuous" representation and warranty will be another level of frustration entirely. That said, I like your idea and I am going to tweet them. I might get a positive response.

I have four Manfrotto bags - Bumblee 210, Bumblebee 220, Bumblebee 230, and Bumblebee M-30. I'll be sure to include a picture of all of them when I get in touch.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Hi Mt Spokane, R1.
I feel that it might be reasonable for Manfrotto to use a version of the advisory found on some motorcycle crash helmets, “Some reasonably foreseeable impacts may exceed this helmet's bags capability to protect against severe injury or death damage or breakages!”
I’m not trying to play down the pain of the breakages, but if it is good enough for a piece of personal protection equipment to have this disclaimer then a camera bag might be expected to be allowed the same grace, however they do make quite a bold claim and although it does state 70-200mm 2.8 the 100-400 L II is pretty much the same size and weight.

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Graham,

Indeed, by using that kind of language Manfrotto would definitely be limiting their liability under such a situation. Their current wording could be construed as making warranties and representations, however. I need to examine their website more thoroughly, as well as the Canadian-specific Manfrotto site, to see what disclaimers they have within their product warranties.

Upvote 0
I was with a friend taking some evening shots of Sydney harbour, when a gust of wind came and blew his camera and tripod onto concrete.
The lens was ripped off the body.
The lens was now a throw away, but the camera was repaired with a new mount, and after it was repaired, the camera was perfect.
CPS does a very good job so I would say that your camera and lens will be fixed well and you'll forget about it in due course.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
I was with a friend taking some evening shots of Sydney harbour, when a gust of wind came and blew his camera and tripod onto concrete.
The lens was ripped off the body.
The lens was now a throw away, but the camera was repaired with a new mount, and after it was repaired, the camera was perfect.
CPS does a very good job so I would say that your camera and lens will be fixed well and you'll forget about it in due course.

Ouch, I feel badly for your friend. Thanks, though, for your thoughts and confidence; I'm keeping my fingers crossed CPS gets everything back to how it was.

CPS received my camera and lens today. I didn't get an estimate yet, though. I guess they are still diagnosing everything.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
If its just metal damaged, and no glass or expensive IS or AF motor, the lens can be fixed reasonably. To replace the mount and metal chassis on the camera, it must be totally stripped and then re-assembled, sensor aligned, the whole calibration thing, and, of course, some parts will have to be replaced. Labor is the killer in both cases. Canon designs their cameras and lenses to be relatively easy to repair, Sony lenses are a nightmare labor wise, and their parts are crazy high as well.

I hope some insurance covers it.

Upvote 0