Well, well, well… could this be Canon’s lens roadmap for 2021? [CR2]

Nope, that’s still the first faulty R5 batch.

Canon clearly stopped shipping R5’s because of technical or production issues.
Andrew Weed of THCHD sued canon and placed an injunction on further shipments. All R5s shiped thereafter are actually bootleg models built by blackmagic x fujifilm x sigma.

Received mine friday of last week. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

filmmakerken

EOS R, EOS 10, FTb
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2020
Virginia
www.cinefoundry.com
Having seen demonstrations of how well the 'head tracking' AF works on the C70 I understand why Canon isn't in a hurry to introduce RF mount Cinema lenses. After all, Cinema lenses are traditionally manual focus and manual iris.

However -- and I've said this before -- while the image quality of top RF lenses, like the 28-70mm f/2, rival that of the Cinema EF line there are other performance issues that do not measure up. 'Breathing' on rack focus is one of the most prominent.

I'm not an optical engineer but it seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to make RF versions of their current Cinema EF lenses. I suppose Canon doesn't see the point since we can mount the current EF lenses with an adapter.

Is it possible that means Canon has plans for mind blowing new Cinema RF lenses?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
1 series buyers are not ‘feature chasers’ and Canon have been quite happy to show they are content moving at their own pace so really don’t care what Sony are doing. Canon will not put IBIS into a 1 series R until they are very very sure it won’t cause any problems and pro buyers are demanding it. As the 1DX III proves they are not there yet.
Canon has never put IBIS in a DSLR. It is whole lot more difficult due to mirror and smaller EF mount.

I am sure the R1 will have IBIS.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I dunno, I may be the only one with a "meh" reaction to all this - I mean, I don't see anything really inspiring or that I don't already have in the EF format. The rumored 10-24 - obviously going to cost an arm and a leg, I'll just keep the EF version. The new 50 1.8, no IS...and if the RF version of the 100 Macro ends up also being a 2.8, there must be a compelling sell over the already excellent EF version.

Personally, I'd like to see Canon do a 105 1.4 like Nikon...now that would stand out.

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
After getting a slow start and having Sony threaten their position in the market Canon is firing all the cannons and broadsiding the competition. If all of this comes out in 2021 along with a pro series R1 body the people who jumped ship are going to cry. Nikon and Sony will be under substantial pressures also.

Really only one lens I've been waiting for to complete my RF kit and that's the 100mm macro. Just for kicks I'm eyeballing the 85 1.2. With this announcement both of these could be in my bag by the end of next year.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon has never put IBIS in a DSLR. It is whole lot more difficult due to mirror and smaller EF mount.

I am sure the R1 will have IBIS.
There are strong indications they will, and there are strong indicators they won’t. I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

As for the difficulty involved in putting it in a DSLR, seriously? Canon register more patents each year than almost anybody, if they wanted to do it they could but for the EF system they chose lens stabilization as their preferred method of stabilization. The big benefit for lens based stabilization for DSLR’s is the fact that you get a stabilized view through the viewfinder, you wouldn’t if it was sensor based stabilization.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
There are strong indications they will, and there are strong indicators they won’t. I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

As for the difficulty involved in putting it in a DSLR, seriously? Canon register more patents each year than almost anybody, if they wanted to do it they could but for the EF system they chose lens stabilization as their preferred method of stabilization. The big benefit for lens based stabilization for DSLR’s is the fact that you get a stabilized view through the viewfinder, you wouldn’t if it was sensor based stabilization.
It is one thing to have a patent, quite another to put it into production. Given that Canon was phasing out of DSLRs anyway, it probably didn't make economic sense to put IBIS in such a low volume camera.

I simply cannot imagine a $7K R1 not having IBIS - Canon would absolutely get skewered for not including it.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
A huge and impressive list of potential future lenses is released and still a good 50% of comments here are complaints :rolleyes:

Fwiw I'd *love* to see what that 1200mm is about. Same front element diameter as a 600 f/4? Expensive but a relative bargain compared to the last 1200.

Much better choice than making 1200mm F5.6. This way it will be portable and relatively affordable, unlike the 5.6 which costs as much as a house. The 1200mm focal length is very niche, even for wildlife photography

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
RIP 100-400. So sad.

Why? Because of the F7.1? I think that's an opportunity actually. The 100-400 F7.1 could be a very small lens, great for travel, hiking, etc. Well under 1kg.
If you want better, you can get the 100-500, which is around F5.6 at 400mm. Today's cameras are much better at high ISO, so losing 2/3 of a stop is not such a big deal when can shave off 600-700g weight from one lens.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
A 100-400mm with f/7.1 at the long end can't be right.

What, no IS on the RF 135mm???

24mm at 1.8 rather than 1.4, but 35mm goes to 1.2?

Might be a reliable source in general, but some of these specifics seem off
IS on the 135mm would be very nice, but I guess I could live without it. I'd prefer with IS though.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
A huge and impressive list of potential future lenses is released and still a good 50% of comments here are complaints :rolleyes:

Fwiw I'd *love* to see what that 1200mm is about. Same front element diameter as a 600 f/4? Expensive but a relative bargain compared to the last 1200.
Could this be why 50% of marriages end in divorce? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0