Well, well, well… could this be Canon’s lens roadmap for 2021? [CR2]

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
But you are referring (at this moment) to super-tele in the EF line, and not the non-existent RF line. As far as RF super-tele, you have absolutely no idea yet what they will weigh.

Then I kindly turn you towards a look at the other RF lenses that are already here. What is lighter than an EF 85mm f/1.2L, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 28-70mm f/2.8L? Any of the RF's? No. Sure, the RF 70-200 is lighter than the EF version. Isn't that just about it? The Canon EF 24-70 is 95gr lighter than the RF version. So where is this advantage of RF over EF? I don't see it when it comes to weight, which for some reason, people keep trying to claim.

You claim there is a weight advantage to RF. I don't see it.
I would argue that the 100-500 is another case in point, albeit not quite a stark as the 70-200 and not quite apple-to-apple:
EF 100-400 Mk 1 (push pull) 92 x 189 mm 1,365 g
EF 100-400 Mk2 94 x 193 mm 1,570 g
RF 100-500 94 x 207 mm 1,365 g

Adapter Ring add 24mm 130 g

If you are using RF, the EF mk2 lens with adapter weighs 1,700 g and is 217mm long, versus 1,365g and 207mm. Not a huge difference in size but you get 100mm extra focal length (and yes you lose ⅔ of an aperture). The 350g difference is far from trivial. For my usage having a maximum reach of 500mm makes the 1.4x extender superfluous, I need more than 400mm but 500 is OK versus 560mm for the 400mm + 1.4, so one item less in the camera bag.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I don't see the point of the "Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-7.1 IS USM". Given we already got a "Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1 L IS USM" which is faster at the wide end and faster at the tele end for the same focal length. The only thing I can think of is that it's smaller or lighter or significantly cheaper. If it was f/5.6 at 400mm then I could see some advantage to giving up the 100mm of reach.

The 11-24 replacement seems to have gained 1mm at wide end again, just like the 15-35mm and it's EF equivalent. I see that the f/4 version of the 15-35 gains yet another 1mm at the wide end, 14-35mm.

I would have loved to see the long primes come with a built in switchable 1.4x TC built in (like the 200-400 f/4L) that was such a great idea.

The RF 100-400mm f/5.6-7.1 IS USM is not an L lens. So it won't be priced at $2,XXX+ USD. It will come in at between $899 and $1199USD - my best SWAG.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
My guess is the TS RF lenses will come in between $2,599 - $2,899. Certainly no more.

Wow...a 70-200 F4 L IS the size of a coke can....They'll probably ask $2k for it though. For $1400, I may consider upgrading from my EF version. I think that's still like $300 more than the current EF version, though I haven't looked in a while.

Glad to see some more offerings in the consumer line. That 100-400 will probably replace the older 75-300 lenses, which were nice for the price.

And autofocus TS-R/E? could those be $3500 lenses? I think so. Or, maybe they'll drive the price on the EF series down enough that I can afford one. Lol.

Last question is - how do I use this list to convince my wife to let me spend the money on the R6 so I can use this stuff? :)

-Brian

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

A new 1200mm. Just wow! What a line-up! And commitment by Canon. Must be being driven by Pros in the Sports world not wanting to have to use a Pro R version with EF lenses and adapters. Although from what I've read the BIG WHITES work fantastically on the R-system with the EF-RF adapter...

Might be more for marketing than anything else. Nikon don't have any mirrorless super tele lenses yet and Sony only have two that compete with the EF lenses but couldn't compete with DO 400/2.8 and 600/4 lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Might be more for marketing than anything else. Nikon don't have any mirrorless super tele lenses yet and Sony only have two that compete with the EF lenses but couldn't compete with DO 400/2.8 and 600/4 lenses.
I think i read somewhere that there may only be 8-12 of the original EF version of the 1200 ever made. So yeah, not a cash cow, more of a statement/specialty/made-to-order kind of thing.

-Brian

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I was really hoping for a pancake lens - somewhere in the 24-50mm range. I would gladly sacrifice some optical quality and stops to make my R5 super portable for hobby stuff(bike-packing etc). I still carry my 6D with the 40mm f/2.8 when space is an issue.
Portability? Ok, this is going out on a limb--but a very good smartphone camera offers superb portability; however, putting a pancake on a FF body, in my opinion, kind of turns one of the best cameras in the world into...a smartphone without the portability. I'm sorry to upset pancake fans, but once I commit to carrying my FF for a specific purpose, be it a session, an event, or just walking/traveling with family, that's it, I know portability is not the priority. I don't have the R5 yet, but of all cameras, putting a pancake on it seems a huge mismatch.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes, like macro. I did some focus stacking with the TS-E 90mm, it is very useful for when the tilted plane isn't deep enough for what you want. And at macro distances you need a lot of tilt to move the plane where you want.
That is one area where RF TS lenses have a distinct advantage over EF TS lenses, in that they could have a lot more tilt because they aren't going to get mirror box shadowing. A range of +/- 8.5° for the TS-E 50 and +/- 10° for the TS-E 90 is pretty pathetic when compared to view cameras with >30° tilt, and as the focal length gets longer and the subject distance (j point really) gets closer you need ever more tilt.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Portability? Ok, this is going out on a limb--but a very good smartphone camera offers superb portability; however, putting a pancake on a FF body, in my opinion, kind of turns one of the best cameras in the world into...a smartphone without the portability. I'm sorry to upset pancake fans, but once I commit to carrying my FF for a specific purpose, be it a session, an event, or just walking/traveling with family, that's it, I know portability is not the priority. I don't have the R5 yet, but of all cameras, putting a pancake on it seems a huge mismatch.

To each their own, I guess, but a fullframe camera with a pancake isn't synonymous to cellphone photography - not when pocketable 35mm film cameras with f/1.7 or faster glass have existed for well over 70 years. That said, the R5 doesn't look so pocketable, but you could certainly slip the RP inside your jacket when you aren't shooting.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If you are stitching then you need to keep the focus (and everything else) fixed and probably at the hyperfocal distance. Not sure how AF will help with that use case.
He has them leaning against a backdrop and shallow depth of field. They don’t move while he takes 3 images quickly moving the tilt lens vertically down. Any slight movement can be fixed in stitching

Upvote 0
Allow me to enlighten you, silly boy. If anyone is spreading falsehood around here, it's you. :rolleyes:

Just confirmed with B&H that orders placed after July 13th have not shipped yet!

So yes, as I said, Canon has only shipped 1 batch of the R5, indicating a problem with the camera or with production.

Please stop spreading misinformation. This a MASSIVE screw up on Canon’s behalf, tantamount to the 1DXiii debacle which chased away a lot of users to Nikon.

Anyone ordering an R5 now won’t see it until well after Jan 2021.

And any new lenses won’t hit the market until 2022-2023. Sorry!

• Haha
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Just confirmed with B&H that orders placed after July 13th have not shipped yet!

So yes, as I said, Canon has only shipped 1 batch of the R5, indicating a problem with the camera or with production.

Please stop spreading misinformation. This a MASSIVE screw up on Canon’s behalf, tantamount to the 1DXiii debacle which chased away a lot of users to Nikon.

I normally keep out of silly shouting matches,
but I call BULLSHIT on you, rontele7!
To say any new lenses won't hit the market until 2022-2023 is utter BULLSHIT.
To claim you know when all stores in the whole world will have & ship R5 orders is BULLSHIT, too!
Please do us all a favor and go away!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I normally keep out of silly shouting matches,
but I call BULLSHIT on you, rontele7!
To say any new lenses won't hit the market until 2022-2023 is utter BULLSHIT.
To claim you know when all stores in the whole world will have & ship R5 orders is BULLSHIT, too!
Please do us all a favor and go away!
And as I posted after him, I know personally of an R5 delivery about 12 days ago now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
I can barely put on the RF35.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Okay, Skippy.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

I'm not a VIP customer of B&H, yet I ordered an R5 September 4th and received it October 4th. Yes it seemed like forever, but now we know you are just making stuff up, honey.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I can barely put on the RF35.
I do have an ef-s 24mm pancake that was ok, kind of fun on my 80D. But then I got the ef-s 35mm f/2.8 IS Macro. The pancake just felt too limiting. Sharp enough, nice contrast, but just not the flexibility I like in a dSLR. The 35mm macro, on the other hand, lets me get in very close, do some decent cityscapes, people photography, and even some nice impromptu portraits of the kids. It isn't much bigger than the pancake, but a lot more bang for carrying around, imo.

With just that 35mm and the ef 70-200mm f/4L IS, I feel pretty well covered for walk-around fun. But that's on an 80D, a camera I still really appreciate.

Ok, I didn't mean to be ANTI pancake (antipa?). Just saying that for cameras with as much potential as the R5/R6, a pancake, in my view, somewhat defeats the purpose. Yes, I do see it as an occasional, fun option, but if I'm holding a body that size, I'd rather have something with more quality and flexibility.

Upvote 0