What’s a “realistic” lens that you’d like to see Canon make?

Jan 29, 2011
I am all for the 14-35 f4 that is filterable. I also vote for the fast ultra-wide astro lens (14 mm and at least f 1.8). Beyond that I would tend to the opposite end of the focal length. Relatively fast, relatively sharp 100-500 or 200-600 and a light 600 mm f4 (DO or otherwise). I have the 100-400 and 600 f4 vII and can adapt both of these but would replace them with R mounts if they were lighter, faster, and as sharp.
Has anybody made a full frame 14mm that is filterable?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Perhaps my first choice would be a 200-600/5.6-6.3 fixed length, then a 100--300/4. Quality level good enough for 45-83 MP would be real nice too. Also, I'd like to see an astro lens, but my preference would be a 20 mm lens. F1.2 would be great but if a 1.4 or 1.8 lens could be significantly more compact that would be worth considering also.

Upvote 0

AdmiralFwiffo

Terrible photographer
Feb 17, 2020
I echo the desire for long macro lenses. An RF refresh of the MPE-65 seems unlikely in the near future; it's such a specialty lens, and must not sell well. It doesn't even have that great of a reputation in the macro/micro community.

A RF version of the TS-E 17mm f/4 L would be great.

Has anyone compiled a list of RF patents? Not all patents become products, but any are possible.

And of course, lots more cheap to mid-range primes.

Upvote 0
Canon is the only remaining mainstream lens manufacturer without a reasonable 50mm lens that belongs to the 21st century, which is quite astonishingly ridiculous when you think about it (even Pentax has got one). All of their 50s bar the €2300 RF 1.2 are either yet another version of the decades old double gauss or barely evolved from it, with all that entails in regards to IQ (ie they're terrible by 2020 standards), and all of them with appalling AF.
Personally I'd like Canon to chase a level of ambition as high as Nikon tried (and not fully successfully so) to reach with the 50mm 1.8 Z, without IS (as IBIS is coming and I'd rather have Canon put it all in IQ), and without the Nikon's issues with onion rings / manufacturing problems, and I'd happily pay between €450 and €700 for it, but I'm rather expecting Canon to target a lower level of ambition with such specs unfortunately.
I would have thought such a reasonable, practical lens likely to end up in lots of hands and as a result quite a bit more likely to produce interesting pictures, a priority, at least more so than lenses designed to enable Canon's marketing department to trumpet the size of Canon's engineering appendage, but what do I know ?

Upvote 0
I think the top priority for "realistic lenses" Are :
-120-300mm f2.8 with built in TC 2.0 (would be a must have lens for sport and safari)
-a sharp, perfect-zero distortion, minimum vignetting, comma and CA, 17mm f2
-50mm f0.95 (come on canon, we all know you can do this)
-400-800mm f5.6-7.1 for bird lovers like me

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
What I would most like to see is a 70-280 f:2.8 (at all focal lengths), with a built-in 1.4 (which would also perform well with external converters). I would think this is well within the realm of possible, as there's already both the 200-400 and 100-400 lenses in the EF mount to draw up for for design and construction.

While this might not be a best-seller, I'm sure Canon could find plenty of buyers in the sports and wildlife ranks. I just returned a few weeks back from a month-long trip to Africa where this could have been taken the place of three lenses I'd brought.

Upvote 0

illadvisedhammer

buggin out
CR Pro
Aug 19, 2015
What do we call the MP-E? Manual focus? Fixed focus variable magnification? I want to see an MP-E variable magnification but with autofocus, to take advantage of the focus bracketing and auto-stacking that's just starting to enter Canon mirrorless. For me 5X isn't needed, but ½X to 3X or 4X, with autofocus, would be great. I'd still use manual focus for most single frames, but would love to add more stacking in camera. To really hijack the thread, doesn't need IS, not super helpful for macro..or is it?

Upvote 0