What’s next for the Canon EOS R system and the rest of the lineup?

Personnaly i would love a R that does video nicely - with good slowmo, beautiful image and solid build. I’m waiting for something around 5d / 1dx that will allow me to shoot videos and still be portable enough to shoot nice picts. The 85DS looks very nice on paper, cant wait to see what it will do. Please canon release a pro body soon with video in mind !

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’m selfishly disappointed that a 100 f1.4 L isn’t coming soon. Not any news regarding that lens? 85 is a tad short for me..
I feel that way about 85 too. I think of it as 50 with a little cropping built-in, HaHa. And since Canon doesn't have a 50 IS I use 85 (also have a 45 Tamron VC) for low light normal shooting. Sigma's 105 1.4 is a beast but the 135 Sigma 1.8 isn't so bad, don't have one, but it looks good.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA

If Canon builds on the success of the M50, why would it abandon the M line? If the IL camera market will continue to shrink and if the future for ILCs will be mirrorless, then Canon has a compelling incentive to develop the M line of cameras and lenses. Companies defend large market positions, they do not throw them away.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
It'd only take minimal cropping. The DOF etc. of cropped 85/1.2 is the same as 100/1.4. (They're both circa 71mm entrance aperture, along with 135/2 and 200/2.8.) The much more accurate AF of the R, plus the sharpness (if it's anything like the 50/1.2) should allow you to blow up a bit more.

If you ask me, the same kind of firm that advanced specs like the 28-70/2 could well try to blow more minds with a 100/1.2 at some point.
I’m seriously not cropping away bokeh or pixels in any way shape or form if it isn’t HIGHLY required and I’ve shot a lot with both 85 and 100 and for portraits I like 100 a lot more, it’s like 50 and 35, I always know exactly what I get in the frame. I’ll also use it for kids soccer and ballet and I’ll have to crop with a 100mm sometimes. 100 is much more exciting to use for me.

I saw someone mention the Sigma, and I’ll never buy a Sigma ever again, but I saw Otus 100 f1.4 mentioned and that tickles me toes :p I’ve owned the Zeiss 100 f2 mp previously and it’s my favorite portrait lens of all times, epic epic lens...

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I saw someone mention the Sigma, and I’ll never buy a Sigma ever again, but I saw Otus 100 f1.4 mentioned and that tickles me toes :p I’ve owned the Zeiss 100 f2 mp previously and it’s my favorite portrait lens of all times, epic epic lens...
I do agree that some copies to have unexpected focusing problems in mirror-mode, but so far I really don't have anything bad to say about the Sigma in Live-View mode with the latest firmware, it simply does what's being told, looked at them at 100%, no difference to Canon lenses whatsoever, and why would it behave any differently on an EOS R, I am sure the forums would already been filled with complaints and I am not seeing that so far.
Yes, the color rendition is more greenish compared to the Canon, but it is certainly delivers very nice-looking images for way, way less money. Good job they are still coming out with EF glass(28/1.4, nice), because, for now, they are certainly being trolled by Canon and Nikon to join their native system.

Of course everyone has a dream, for me it is the EF 35/1.4 II look and optical quality, but with much reduced size and weight, like a Leica 35 Lux with AF ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well, just give me more FPS in Servo Mode on the R - other than that i LOVE it. I just did some testing with my 100 f2.8 IS L on the EOS-R and really it blew me away. My dog wasn't really fast running (just normal walked towards me), i used the R in Av mode, Auto ISO , longest shutter time set to Auto (+2) and AF mode to single with sourroundig 4 or environment (surrounding 9) . I would not normally consider this lens a action lens and i tested it just because i'm gonna test all my EF lenses on the R over time. In fact on my DSLR's i had to do some tough AF adjustements for this lens (using focal) and never was 100% satisfied. The image is the last (before he was too close to me) from a series and i really like the sharpness. It's f2.8 and 1/640s. Shot in raw and exported to jpeg with 2048 px - no idea how this looks here after posting.
EOR_3094.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
7D Mark iii with a new 40MP APS-C sensor. Full width oversampled (4 sensor pixels per video pixel) 4K video. Same sensor may be used in future Canon Cinema models to deliver oversampled 4K video.

The 7 series will continue to be the APSC version of the 1DX series. Which means mid-20s to MAYBE 30MP with high FPS (10-12ish) WITH very accurate Servo AF at those rates.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I do agree that some copies to have unexpected focusing problems in mirror-mode, but so far I really don't have anything bad to say about the Sigma in Live-View mode with the latest firmware, it simply does what's being told, looked at them at 100%, no difference to Canon lenses whatsoever, and why would it behave any differently on an EOS R, I am sure the forums would already been filled with complaints and I am not seeing that so far.
Yes, the color rendition is more greenish compared to the Canon, but it is certainly delivers very nice-looking images for way, way less money. Good job they are still coming out with EF glass(28/1.4, nice), because, for now, they are certainly being trolled by Canon and Nikon to join their native system.

Of course everyone has a dream, for me it is the EF 35/1.4 II look and optical quality, but with much reduced size and weight, like a Leica 35 Lux with AF ;)
I don’t like the flat look they give...

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I don’t like the flat look they give...
A highly subjective thing as always, but for instance I really don't see either the 105/1.4 or the 135/1.8 looking flat. (Of course I can imagine a Zeiss 100/1.4 looking even better still - for way more money - but it's not like the former ones looking like crap)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
No patent exists as far as I'm aware, so it is a very long way, there will be a 90mm or a 100mm 2.8 Macro IS some time later, some crazy wide-angle is also rumored. And besides the development announcements, I predict that a 100-400mm f3.5-5.6 patent is also a go, the demand is certainly there for that besides a 70-200 2.8.

Well the adapted EF Sigma 105/1.4 will work just fine, although huge, very heavy and unbalanced. And the Otus 100/1.4 is also coming very soon, but also very big and no AF.

I would not be the slightest bit surprised if Canon did an RF update of their 8-15mm f4.0L UWA Fisheye for the RF. Or a just a straight 10-15mm f4.0L rectilinear lens UWA (non-fisheye). And perhaps some amalgamated version of the 10-22mm EF & 10-18 EF-S (a more budget minded UWA than any L lens but still a decent performer.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Canon has traditionally reserved that focal length for Macro in both L and non-L versions. I have both the 85L 1.4 and still amazing 135L. You’ll have to settle for one. Otherwise it’s 2.8 at 100 with macro. But I tell ya, I love this new 85. And it’s not that much shorter than a 100. What are you trying to shoot? Can’t take one step closer? View attachment 183143
Canon is still making (I think) and selling the 100mm f2.0 USM EF lens. It's available on the CanonUSA website and most major retailers still have it listed.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
This is slightly off-topic - it concerns the new EOS RP: Jared Polin (mildly annoying at times but generally for the sake of trying to be funny) at froknowsphoto.com has a ~30 minute video PREVIEW (not a review) - on YOUTUBE - of the new RP. It's a fairly in-depth preview. And he mentions that at some point in the near future he will do a complete hands-on review.
Of which I'm sure that Bryan C (at <thedigitalpicture.com> ) and Dustin Abbott (dustinabbott.com) will both be doing as well as many others (Mr. Rockwell, the Northrupps, including the folks over at DPReview).

Upvote 0
Personal experience with Sigma 35mm on 5DSR was not that pleasant and focus was consistently inconsistent! However, Sigma 20mm on EOS-R is totally different experience. It seems that later Sigma lenses on Canon mirrorless bodies perform quite well and features such as profile based correction and in camera vignetting removal work fine. I haven't tried Sigma's zoom or longer lenses, though.

Upvote 0