What’s next from Canon?

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Maybe a Canon EOS R7 APS-C to replace the 7D MKII...
Or how about an M7? I want the flagship M camera to have the features and speed of the R6, but with an M mount and 24MP APS-C sensor. I'm sure that they could make one about the size of the X-T30. And if Canon won't create an f/2.8-4 trinity of M lenses, then hopefully Sigma will, when they introduce the APS-C L-mount body and the trinity for that mount.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I'm basing this off my experience with the EOS R. It's a lovely camera for people, but it's terrible for motorsports photography.

Based on improved OVF, I am sure the R5 will be much better than the R but the concern is the EVF lag. With OVF there is no lag the image is pretty much at the speed of the light. The limiting factor is the human brain how fast the brain can process what the eyes see in a OVF. OTOH the EVF depends on the delay introduced in reading the image off the sensor, processing and displaying the image. This EVF lag will go away the day the processing speed exceeds the speed at which a human brain can process what the eyes see. Until then definitely humans can feel the lag. Now for motorsports is this good enough or not is something only the real world tests can show.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
R6 is not enough?
lots of folks worry about pixel density. Not as many pixels per bird due to the resolution and sensor size. They'd need to get a longer lens. I never really was a pixel peeper, and I never had a 7D, but I kinda want an R6 to get soccer shots of my daughter. The 5DIII i have is only 6 fps...i can definitely benefit from 12/20.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Yes, last week was a HOT week for Canon possibly it’s best with the announcement of those stunning new bodies not to mention new lenses and convertors etc.

Those five new lenses to follow sound tasty I think I’m going to stick with my EF versions of the nifty fifty and my 70-200mm f/2.8 after all I’ll need a use for my EF / RF adapter for something.

I’m not sure I’ll use my 17-40 f/4 much anymore having experienced the sharpness of the RF 24-70 f/2.8

The RF 24mm really appeals to me and maybe the 18-45mm I guess that could be a cheaper kit lens, but it would be nice if Canon made it a red stripe f/4

I really fancy an R6 if the pennies allow, using a 1D for so many years 20MP has never bothered me and wow 102K native ISO is fantastic for a camera in its price range.

Well done to Canon you nailed it this time!

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
I guess, now Canon does not have excuses not to release 3-series camera, finally oriented on photographers who don't only shoot sports for agencies.
Canon EOS R3 with 100 megapixels, ISO 25, 18 stop DR, 16-bit etc... OMG. Canon, take my money now!
I guess, now Canon does not have excuses not to release 3-series camera, finally oriented on photographers who don't only shoot sports for agencies.
Canon EOS R3 with 100 megapixels, ISO 25, 18 stop DR, 16-bit etc... OMG. Canon, take my money now!

18 stops dynamic range? i'd be happy with 15 at this point

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I feel this is where Canon is missing the point. The R5 is definitely great on paper but after seeing all the limitation with the video I don't even know why canon tried to pull off the 8k video in this body. They could have stopped at unlimited (yeah I know the stupid EU tax, few other manufacturers have ignored this and moved on. So why not you Canon?) 4k60p with some innovation (like a heat sink grip) instead Canon tried to create a marketing buzz with 8K and missed out yet again on the 4k too. They also have AA filter on the R5 (obviously we are yet to see how strong it is).

This is what Canon could have done instead, made the R5 more of a photography product even with just 4k30p limited to 29:59 mins of recording and AA filter cancellation effect like the 5DsR and made the R6 with AA filter and great video specs (FHD @ 240fps and 4k @ 120fps with AF). IMO the R5 is a product neither an exceptional photo centric product because of AA filter nor a good hybrid camera because of video limitations. Had Canon done that they do not need to come up with another low cost body with the same 45MP sensor. Obviously it is just my opinion and I know that will not count at all at this point :) I was very excited to hear the specs of R5 mostly I wanted to try my 600 f/4L V1 on this body. But after seeing there is a AA filter and priced at $3900 I did not pre-order. I guess the reports of overwhelming reports are BS like Sony and Fuji does. The R5 is already discounted if you know where to get it.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2020
Or how about an M7? I want the flagship M camera to have the features and speed of the R6, but with an M mount and 24MP APS-C sensor. I'm sure that they could make one about the size of the X-T30. And if Canon won't create an f/2.8-4 trinity of M lenses, then hopefully Sigma will, when they introduce the APS-C L-mount body and the trinity for that mount.
How its's possible to compare M series with the 7D2?

Upvote 0
This EVF lag will go away the day the processing speed exceeds the speed at which a human brain can process what the eyes see. Until then definitely humans can feel the lag.

At 120fps in the EVF I can assume the additional lag (compared to the OVF) will be no more than 1/120s. Considering that 0.1s is a very good reaction time to press the shutter button, the EVF adds less than 10%.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0