What’s next from Canon?

I wouldn't understand why Canon wouldn't release a 5D Mark V.

90% of the job is done.

Body and shape : just re-use the Mark IV, it's perfect
Sensor and DIGIC : just re-use the R5
AF : just re-use the AF of the 1D X III or a "lighter" version of it

Done.

I'd gladly buy such a camera. Throw at it something unique such as a feature to get rid of this AF micro-adjustment thingy and it's a dream come true.
I don't undserstand why you think they would want to , I mean the new R5 is the new 5d , there's nothing in it for them , thousands of bought into the RF system now , they are not going to bring out a 5D now it doesn't have a big enough following anymore .

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I don't undserstand why you think they would want to , I mean the new R5 is the new 5d , there's nothing in it for them , thousands of bought into the RF system now , they are not going to bring out a 5D now it doesn't have a major following .
The retort would be: Too expensive and lacking some feature in the R5. Perfection in everyone’s eyes is unobtainum.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I don't undserstand why you think they would want to , I mean the new R5 is the new 5d , there's nothing in it for them , thousands of bought into the RF system now , they are not going to bring out a 5D now it doesn't have a major following .
I think you're off by saying it doesn't have a major following. Certainly there are tons out there and its an 'easier' upgrade for many already in the EF system.

So i think it'll come down to one thing - how confident is canon that its mirrorless is ready to take over the mantle from DSLR? They weren't ready to hand over 1 series duties yet, but are they ready to hand over 5 series duties?

If the answer is yes, no 5DV. If the answer isn't yes, the next question is when will they be? I think the 5DV would likely be the last of its line if we do see it. Once people get over the mental hump of EVF usage, the advantages seem so many for mirrorless that I can't imagine EF mount survives much longer.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

90% of the job is done.

Done.

I'd gladly buy such a camera. Throw at it something unique such as a feature to get rid of this AF micro-adjustment thingy and it's a dream come true.

They just did - it's the R5. I think the ship for non-mirrorless cameras at the high end from Canon has sailed.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
An M50 style body with IBIS would be ideal for me. And an extra dial to make changing ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed much faster would be a great bonus. That's it and I'll have a near perfect everyday camera.

So an M5 Mark II? Its rumored to be coming out this year :).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don't undserstand why you think they would want to , I mean the new R5 is the new 5d , there's nothing in it for them , thousands of bought into the RF system now , they are not going to bring out a 5D now it doesn't have a big enough following anymore .
Way to just make stuff up.

DSLRs still constitute a huge share of the market.There will not be a 100% migration to mirrorless in a single generation, if ever.

Canon will not abandon half or more of the full frame market, especially in these highly competitive times when every manufacturer is fighting to hold on to market share.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
They just did - it's the R5. I think the ship for non-mirrorless cameras at the high end from Canon has sailed.
Time will tell, but I think that ship is loaded with a lot of 5D Vs bound for enthusiasts and professionals hands.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
How its's possible to compare M series with the 7D2?
They both have the same size sensor and can use the same lenses. The M cameras require an adapter but I'm using two Vello and one Canon adapters with a closet full of lenses on an M5, without any problems at all. The build quality and capabilities of a hypothetical M7 are a result of corporate marketing decisions.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...the advantages seem so many for mirrorless that I can't imagine EF mount survives much longer...
DSLRs will always have one advantage: the speed of light. No electronic viewfinder will ever match a mirror.

Honestly, I fail to understand the way some on this forum (not you) have an almost religious devotion to mirrorless systems. I use both. I like both. There are advantages to both. I have yet to see anyone make a solid business argument that Canon is going to walk away from the DSLR market or the EF system anytime soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Way to just make stuff up.

DSLRs still constitute a huge share of the market.There will not be a 100% migration to mirrorless in a single generation, if ever.

Canon will not abandon half or more of the full frame market, especially in these highly competitive times when every manufacturer is fighting to hold on to market share.

Who is producing and selling significant quantities of full-frame non-mirrorless DSLR's right now? The MSRP on the 5D MKIV is like $1k less than it was at launch. If there was a huge market for these cameras, it would reflected in price stability and new product introduction across the marketplace, not just gearheads whining for a tech upgrade.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020

90% of the job is done.

Done.

Sounds good but it doesn't help Canon push RF glass.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Wrong

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Who is producing and selling significant quantities of full-frame non-mirrorless DSLR's right now? The MSRP on the 5D MKIV is like $1k less than it was at launch. If there was a huge market for these cameras, it would reflected in price stability and new product introduction across the marketplace, not just gearheads whining for a tech upgrade.

The 5D4 (and I own one) was a lukewarm upgrade over earlier cameras at launch. Several years in it does feel a little limiting compared to what mirrorless offers. I wouldn't take the softness in it's price as an indicator. Nikon's releases seem to be doing well on that side (uh, D6 aside lol) and the 1DX3 does show canon is still making investments into DSLR autofocus technology. It does seem like a shame for Canon to never use that AF sensor in another camera?

The catch is that with the potential for global slowdowns, there might not be the market for two "5" series cameras differing only in the mirror box.

Upvote 0