What’s next from Canon?

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
I wouldn't understand why Canon wouldn't release a 5D Mark V.

90% of the job is done.

Body and shape : just re-use the Mark IV, it's perfect
Sensor and DIGIC : just re-use the R5
AF : just re-use the AF of the 1D X III or a "lighter" version of it

Done.

I'd gladly buy such a camera. Throw at it something unique such as a feature to get rid of this AF micro-adjustment thingy and it's a dream come true.

That would create a DSLR that performs much better in live view mode than when it is used with the OVF. There is no point in such a camera, if you don't use the OVF any more. View finder type and AF type are tightly coupled.

Mirrorless cameras will easily supersede DSLRs, when both, AF performance and view finders are superior. Does the R5 mark the tipping point here? Maybe! We will see very soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Just wondering, what is M6 detachable evf flaws? I just sold my m100 and planning to get the rumored m50mii, but i think i will miss m100 pocketable size so I'm leaning to get m6ii
I have an 270EX external flash on my M5, all the time. Putting the detachable EVF on the M6-2 prevents that. I owned an M100 for about 3 weeks but its internal flash restricts the range of lenses that can be used with flash. For example, the 18-150 lens blocks the flash at 18mm and I use that lens a lot. (I have a 430EX III-RT flash on my 5D3, but that combination is much heavier than the M5/270-EX and, at 70 years old, reducing equipment weight is a priority.)

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
Just wondering, what is M6 detachable evf flaws? I just sold my m100 and planning to get the rumored m50mii, but i think i will miss m100 pocketable size so I'm leaning to get m6ii
I got my partner a M100 setup and the size really is a tremendous advantage. It's the one thing I'm jealous of.

That said, I wouldn't trade my EVF or the ergonomics of the M50 even for that.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'm afraid Canon don't care if you do or don't. Looking at it from a profit point of view - what would a 5D DSLR look like today? they want to convert people to the RF mount, getting you to eventually re-buy lenses you've already bought. Well, the camera body you can have is either 45 mpx, or 20 mpx. For those saying that there's a middle ground around 32mpx, I'd gently suggest buying a 5D mk4. They haven't stopped selling them, and some people are in that market still.

Canon don't just half-ass their market planning. There is a long term goal here, and it's to move everything over to RF - this will give you eventually faster, more powerful bodies. They've stated they want this mount to last 25 years. In turn, you're going to re-buy glass that works, so it works differently with the system. Watch them drop the RF mount cinema camera in the next 12 months, and everyone complain about that before realising the existing RF glass handles 8K resolution beautifully, and the next iteration of a C500 / C700 with native 8K becomes a practical reality.

That negativity and resistance tug you feel is realising the marketing is working...
Maybe English isn’t your first language but I don’t know how you can infer any negativity or resistance from my post. My only user feedback was I find looking through EVF’s for extended periods nauseating, I know others do too hence the 1DX III and not an R1 yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
I'm afraid Canon don't care if you do or don't. Looking at it from a profit point of view - what would a 5D DSLR look like today? they want to convert people to the RF mount, getting you to eventually re-buy lenses you've already bought. Well, the camera body you can have is either 45 mpx, or 20 mpx. For those saying that there's a middle ground around 32mpx, I'd gently suggest buying a 5D mk4. They haven't stopped selling them, and some people are in that market still.

Canon don't just half-ass their market planning. There is a long term goal here, and it's to move everything over to RF - this will give you eventually faster, more powerful bodies. They've stated they want this mount to last 25 years. In turn, you're going to re-buy glass that works, so it works differently with the system. Watch them drop the RF mount cinema camera in the next 12 months, and everyone complain about that before realising the existing RF glass handles 8K resolution beautifully, and the next iteration of a C500 / C700 with native 8K becomes a practical reality.

That negativity and resistance tug you feel is realising the marketing is working...

You don’t HAVE to re-buy lenses. Your EF lenses are perfectly good to live out the rest of their lives on the R mount and you replace them when you NEED to.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
It would be really nice to see Canon release an R mount camera aimed at stills photographers.

Right now, if I had to replace my 5D's in a hurry (if they were stolen or dropped of a cliff or something) - the options I have for a new camera are: 5D4 (with 4 year old tech) - or move to Sony with the A7R4 (or R3). Its kind of disappointing that after 4 years and 4 RF bodies, Canon have nothing new to offer 5D users, and nothing seems to be in the pipeline either.
[and no - a £4200 R5 is NOT a replacement for a '5D' camera]

• Haha
Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2019
I got my partner a M100 setup and the size really is a tremendous advantage. It's the one thing I'm jealous of.

That said, I wouldn't trade my EVF or the ergonomics of the M50 even for that.

Yeah m100+22mmf2 is great walkaround setup, fit in my jeans pocket, still want evf that's why i sell it, my m is only for travel so i think i will pick m6 as i can live without flash, but let me see the new m camera first

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
Yeah m100+22mmf2 is great walkaround setup, fit in my jeans pocket, still want evf that's why i sell it, my m is only for travel so i think i will pick m6 as i can live without flash, but let me see the new m camera first
That is literally what I set her up with and she loves it. It really is a great entry level camera.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
It would be really nice to see Canon release an R mount camera aimed at stills photographers.

Right now, if I had to replace my 5D's in a hurry (if they were stolen or dropped of a cliff or something) - the options I have for a new camera are: 5D4 (with 4 year old tech) - or move to Sony with the A7R4 (or R3). Its kind of disappointing that after 4 years and 4 RF bodies, Canon have nothing new to offer 5D users, and nothing seems to be in the pipeline either.

Just to be clear, your argument here is totally based on price? The R5 is not a 5D4 replacement because it's too expensive?

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011

The R5 is only $400 more expensive than the 5D4 when it was released in 2016. I’d say you’ve got a pretty fantastic stills camera in the R5 that just happens to have some phenomenal video features that you don’t have to use.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA

Honestly curious...are you saying that last part based on price alone? Because the rest of the feature set and most of Canon's marketing seem to imply they thing it IS a 5D class camera. What else might I be missing.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI

I show the 5D MK IV introduced at about £3600, not sure if that's with VAT or not, but inflation nearly covers the entire gap regardless. 4 years later you get a 50% resolution increase, 1 stop DR increase, IBIS, new gen DPAF, 12 fps mechanical/20 fps electronic, and focus stacking. In what way do you not see it as a replacement?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
That would create a DSLR that performs much better in live view mode than when it is used with the OVF. There is no point in such a camera, if you don't use the OVF any more. View finder type and AF type are tightly coupled.

Mirrorless cameras will easily supersede DSLRs, when both, AF performance and view finders are superior. Does the R5 mark the tipping point here? Maybe! We will see very soon.

Regarding viewfinder type, the 1DX3 shows there's still performance headroom in discrete PDAF modules. That said, the R5 does seem to be the first camera that challenges the big "gripped" bodies in terms of AF performance. I would expect the 1DX3 would still outperform with a big white though, purely from a power delivery standpoint though.

EVF vs OVF is not something I expect to ever be "settled" just like how there are still a lot of folks who prefer film.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Time will tell, but I think that ship is loaded with a lot of 5D Vs bound for enthusiasts and professionals hands.

Maybe so, maybe no.

For me, my two 'full time' cameras will now be my EOS-R and my pre-ordered R5.

Even up until this point when my go-to combo has been my 5D4 and my R, I usually grabbed the R first. The adapted glass works perfectly and the additional features it has over the 5D4 make it an obvious choice for me. I shoot outdoors all the time, mostly wildlife, so maybe people who sit in a studio or shoot weddings or whatever have needs that I don't understand. If so, I defer to their judgment.

With the R5 shipping soon there is nothing a 5D5 could offer that would interest me. I can't think of a reason why Canon would dilute their push to mirrorless by offering it. I don't see Sony supporting a redundant product line and I think Canon would do well to cut that cord and get on with it. The market share to be won is mirrorless - not old school.

If there were IQ problems when using the adapter, okay, but there aren't. Why should they do both?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I really doubt Canon would do an APS-C R mount camera. They have the EF-M line for that.

Canon have already said the R6 pretty much replaces the 6D and 7D lines.
How on earth does does the R6 with its low density sensor replace the 7D line with its high density sensor, which is used by wild-life photographers precisely because ot its high resolution? The R5 in crop mode would do that.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
DSLRs will always have one advantage: the speed of light. No electronic viewfinder will ever match a mirror.

Honestly, I fail to understand the way some on this forum (not you) have an almost religious devotion to mirrorless systems. I use both. I like both. There are advantages to both. I have yet to see anyone make a solid business argument that Canon is going to walk away from the DSLR market or the EF system anytime soon.
I sure see what you're saying there. And we're all just speculating at this point so the more the merrier. I guess my personal bias is that this is a small version of the film to digital conversion. People swore the digital would never overtake some advantages film had and the two would live side by side for ever. Well, film isn't totally gone yet but its relegated to a very small niche at this point. I think the cost and logistics and splitting the market between your own competing product lines just means that Canon or any other mfg won't want to maintain the two side by side for long. And as people get used to EVF vs OVF it'll just get easier. The technology will improve to the point where the differences are minimized enough, and the advantages maximized enough that the new one will just take over. I don't have a mirrorless body so I don't really know how hard that transition is. Maybe I can convince the wife to let me rent one for a week to try out.

Only time will tell for sure!

Upvote 0