What’s next from Canon?

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Nobody said it was about quality, and those imagining it is are a tiny, tiny niche market - just look at CD vs Spotify revenues! The convenience and ease is the main factor. I doubt many are watching feature length movies that way, but those don't account for a lot of the market either. Get on a train and look around, everyone is consuming media of some sort for the whole journey. Go to a fast food place and you'll probably see the same. Heck, even walking down most streets you'll see people holding up their little devices and watching something!
It is hard to deny. Especially here in Japan. But it still boggles my Luddite mind.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nobody said it was about quality, and those imagining it is are a tiny, tiny niche market - just look at CD vs Spotify revenues! The convenience and ease is the main factor. I doubt many are watching feature length movies that way, but those don't account for a lot of the market either. Get on a train and look around, everyone is consuming media of some sort for the whole journey. Go to a fast food place and you'll probably see the same. Heck, even walking down most streets you'll see people holding up their little devices and watching something!
In general Fullframer is not my audience

Netflix subscriptions are imploding, what does it say ?

Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
In general Fullframer is not my audience

Netflix subscriptions are imploding, what does it say ?
That they shut off Russia due to the war and lost millions of subscribers overnight, then decided to raise prices and cut off people using in multiple homes but did their sums first and will make more profit regardless. I did read more than the headlines though...

Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
It is hard to deny. Especially here in Japan. But it still boggles my Luddite mind.
You're not alone, I'm still angry at the world for dumping CD and moving to Spotify and Sonos. May as well put in earplugs while we're at it, but very hard to fight the crowd. It won't be long before cameras split like audio did with home and pro being separated by a huge price and quality chasm

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
You're not alone, I'm still angry at the world for dumping CD and moving to Spotify and Sonos. May as well put in earplugs while we're at it, but very hard to fight the crowd. It won't be long before cameras split like audio did with home and pro being separated by a huge price and quality chasm
My issue with the new world order is that everything is stored on someone else's computer, so I try to buy music and video on physical carriers and make a backup to my own computer.

Upvote 0
That the global economy is in the toilet, and people are moving on from the (still ongoing) pandemic and spending less time at home.
I rest my case: more media content is going to be consumed via mobile devices…

one day fullframers are going to be as mediumformat people… ( pure ego tripsters )

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

But what you don't see is those same people when they get home and watch their large screen TVs for several hours before they go to sleep.

Of course they're watching small screens on the train or at the fast food place. They have no other practical option. But when home for several hours they do have other options.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yes, I think Canon is saying the R7 is not for pros. Not sure why so many folks;
a) can't understand that,
b) can't accept that.

Also not sure why so many forum members have to categorize these new cameras as successors to previous cameras. This is a new mirrorless lineup. These mirrorless cameras do not have to be successors. It's a new lineup...deal with it like mature adults. (OK, that was a joke!)

It is quite possible that Canon did not go higher-end with the R7 becuase they do plan on having a high MP FF camera - that is pro level. A high MP FF camera should have the pixel density that wildlife/birders want - whether cropping in camera or in post. So that should satisfy the wildlife/birder segment looking for better weather sealing, bigger body, grip. If they do release such a camera, then the R7 would be redundant if they had decided to make that model high-end. Therefore it is more of a consumer level camera.

Pixel density is only one of several boxes that need to be checked.

Fast frame rate and a deep buffer is another. No matter how fast a 100MP+ FF camera is, a 40MP APS-C camera can be that much faster processing and writing 40% as much data to get the same center of the picture.

So is cost.

Then there are those who may want both tools, and want to use both at the same time. Throw a WA lens on the 100MP FF and a telephoto lens on the 40MP APS-C. It works a lot faster than constantly changing lenses, especially in outdoor settings with wind , dust, and who knows what else blowing around.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
But what you don't see is those same people when they get home and watch their large screen TVs for several hours before they go to sleep.

Of course they're watching small screens on the train or at the fast food place. They have no other practical option. But when home for several hours they do have other options.
On the other hand, how many people watching at home pay extra for higher definition content? I’m guessing that most people save the money and opt for lower resolution.

Upvote 0

Sorry, mobile still massively outweighs this. I'm not guessing, this is well recorded stuff if you look into it. The number of watch hours on mobile is enormous compared to any kind of fixed set up like TVs, Cinemas, even computers.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Sorry, mobile still massively outweighs this. I'm not guessing, this is well recorded stuff if you look into it. The number of watch hours on mobile is enormous compared to any kind of fixed set up like TVs, Cinemas, even computers.

Maybe in Japan or in large cities elsewhere in which a lot of folks spend a lot of time commuting via public transit. But in most of the U.S., people have their TVs on from the time they get home until when they go to sleep (if they don't leave them on even then), and turn them on from the time they wake up until they leave.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
On the other hand, how many people watching at home pay extra for higher definition content? I’m guessing that most people save the money and opt for lower resolution.

Even FHD is higher resolution than the majority of phone screens in the world. Only the more expensive top tier phones popular in wealthy nations have 1080p or better resolution.

Amazon often offers multiple resolutions available for the streaming content they offer in both "rent" (stream) and "buy" (download) options, so one would assume at least some folks are willing to pay a premium for the higher resolution when watching on their large, high definition screens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Maybe in Japan or in large cities elsewhere in which a lot of folks spend a lot of time commuting via public transit. But in most of the U.S., people have their TVs on from the time they get home until when they go to sleep (if they don't leave them on even then), and turn them on from the time they wake up until they leave.
Your age is showing. Having spent the last several years working on a college campus, i can assure you that @lustyd is correct. Most media is short form video and is being consumed on mobile devices.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Your age is showing. Having spent the last several years working on a college campus, i can assure you that @lustyd is correct. Most media is short form video and is being consumed on mobile devices.
Indeed, though TV remains a significant platform (the difference is not ‘enormous’ as @lustyd suggests) mobile viewing took the majority position in the US in 2019 and has continued to increase (source):

US consumers’ average time spent on their phones will reach 4 hours, 31 minutes per day this year, a 2.5% increase YoY. As recently as 2018, the average US adult still spent more time per day with TV (3 hours, 42 minutes) than consuming media on mobile devices (3 hours, 27 minutes), a category that includes smartphones, feature phones, and tablets. But those positions switched in 2019 and have continued to diverge as mobile time surges and TV time falls. By 2023, the average US adult will spend a staggering 4 hours, 35 minutes per day consuming media on mobile devices and less than 3 hours (2 hours, 51 minutes) with TV.

Don’t expect @Michael Clark to admit that he’s wrong, though.

Upvote 0
Indeed, though TV remains a significant platform (the difference is not ‘enormous’ as @lustyd suggests) mobile viewing took the majority position in the US in 2019 and has continued to increase (source):

US consumers’ average time spent on their phones will reach 4 hours, 31 minutes per day this year, a 2.5% increase YoY. As recently as 2018, the average US adult still spent more time per day with TV (3 hours, 42 minutes) than consuming media on mobile devices (3 hours, 27 minutes), a category that includes smartphones, feature phones, and tablets. But those positions switched in 2019 and have continued to diverge as mobile time surges and TV time falls. By 2023, the average US adult will spend a staggering 4 hours, 35 minutes per day consuming media on mobile devices and less than 3 hours (2 hours, 51 minutes) with TV.

Don’t expect @Michael Clark to admit that he’s wrong, though.
To be clear, I was talking globally. The USA has always been behind the tech curve, especially when it comes to mobile phones and their usage.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
…Only the more expensive top tier phones popular in wealthy nations have 1080p or better resolution…
I question that. Many less developed nations never had the legacy telephone and television infrastructure of the U.S. and adopted cellular systems much more quickly, leapfrogging over the U.S. I’d be interested in data that supports your assertion, as I have a suspicion that in countries where there is less embedded infrastructure and fewer options people may be more reliant on cell phones for communications, internet access, entertainment and education.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
To be clear, I was talking globally. The USA has always been behind the tech curve, especially when it comes to mobile phones and their usage.
Thanks. Yes, that was clear. However, @Michael Clark was trying to make the point that ‘most of the US’ has more TV media viewing time than mobile media viewing time, which was his attempt to wiggle out of being wrong about the global situation. Of course, he was wrong about the US situation as well.

Or maybe he thinks his house is ‘most of the US’. Lol. Personally (as an irrelevant anecdote), in my house it’s not uncommon for my wife and I to be watching a show on a 4K TV while our three kids are each streaming something different on their mobile devices and the two other 4K TVs in the house are dark.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

I'd certainly agree with you about the college age and below demographic. I'm around a lot of high school kids that are the same way. That trend has really taken off in the past decade or so. 10-15 years ago the kids were still talking about tv shows and movies they went to see at the theater. But in the U.S., at least, roughly 68.5% of the population is age 25 or older. The median age is 38.31 years. There are also slightly more people in the U.S. age 50+ (117,838,030) than there are 25-49 (108,852,000) or 0-24 (104,312,620). So while the trend is heading in that direction, I don't think we've yet arrived there.

Upvote 0