What camera and lens were used to shoot the 2013 Oscar group portrait?

Feb 1, 2013
Haha, you're an aps-h fanboy huh? As I said before, there also seems to be no rectilinear distortion of the people at the sides...which kind of says panorama. It certainly could be a 24mm. But given the apparent resolution of the print on the Jimmy Kimmel show, if it's a single shot, it pretty much has to be done with either a D800, or medium format. I guess it really doesn't matter, I just was kind of shocked when i saw the huge print of it on the show. I forget who the guest was, but they were in the picture. These things can be youtubed...

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
CarlTN said:
Quasi, what's so horrendous about it?

IMHO it looks boring and too traditional, although it is a large group shot. There is also a lot of disturbing elements, like the people in front, the carpet, but mostly because of the way people are stacked up in an unnattural pose. In connection with the something anniversary of MGM? They had gathered many of the actors for a similar type of shot, but it was done much more interesting, with their poses, positions and the way they looked at the camera (I don't recall now where I saw that picture, but there was also a short video of the setup). This looks like a type of shot where the photographer had very limited time with all the people and had to throw them in together just to get the shot before they went their way.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
Freelancer said:
Quasimodo said:
[This looks like a type of shot where the photographer had very limited time with all the people and had to throw them in together just to get the shot before they went their way.

as in 99,5% of all large group shots....

Which is understandable, but still results imho in a run of the mill boring shot which will not pass into the history books :)

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Quasi, I think I can agree with you...which points to it being a single shot, rather than a panorama or some other multi-camera arrayed panorama. It's still interesting to speculate.

In selecting this, it wasn't because I thought it was compositionally a spectacular picture...I was just amazed by the detail.

I'm very ignorant of good portrait technique...but I will say this. Most of the stuff I see, such as on facebook, where local photographers make their own little facebook page, and post family portraiture they've done...it just looks juvenile and stupid to me. Especially where a small family is gathered around, pretending to laugh at something...or the shots where they're all jumping on a trampoline.

That stuff certainly isn't boring, but it's not what I would define as good group portraiture, even if I did know anything about it.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
CarlTN said:
Quasi, I think I can agree with you...which points to it being a single shot, rather than a panorama or some other multi-camera arrayed panorama. It's still interesting to speculate.

In selecting this, it wasn't because I thought it was compositionally a spectacular picture...I was just amazed by the detail.

I'm very ignorant of good portrait technique...but I will say this. Most of the stuff I see, such as on facebook, where local photographers make their own little facebook page, and post family portraiture they've done...it just looks juvenile and stupid to me. Especially where a small family is gathered around, pretending to laugh at something...or the shots where they're all jumping on a trampoline.

That stuff certainly isn't boring, but it's not what I would define as good group portraiture, even if I did know anything about it.

I hear you :)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Freelancer said:
Quasimodo said:
[This looks like a type of shot where the photographer had very limited time with all the people and had to throw them in together just to get the shot before they went their way.

as in 99,5% of all large group shots....
+1
I make a lot of group photos at my office and I always find it is very challenging than a majestic landscape ... dealing with people, getting them to smile/look the way you want is not an easy job, it is an art in itself that stretches beyond the science of photography ... I find it very difficult especially when the people I am photographing are CEO's, Ministers and the like who can only spare a few seconds for the shot. So I can understand the possible challenges faced by that photographer.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Rienzphotoz said:
+1
I make a lot of group photos at my office and I always find it is very challenging than a majestic landscape ... dealing with people, getting them to smile/look the way you want is not an easy job, it is an art in itself that stretches beyond the science of photography ... I find it very difficult especially when the people I am photographing are CEO's, Ministers and the like who can only spare a few seconds for the shot. So I can understand the possible challenges faced by that photographer.

Good point. I've never had the ability to make people do what I want them to, I guess that's why I don't do much portraiture!

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
CarlTN said:
Rienzphotoz said:
+1

Good point. I've never had the ability to make people do what I want them to, I guess that's why I don't do much portraiture!
Yeah, people photography especially group photos are a nightmare ... the last group photo I made on 28 Feb 2013 was so bad that I tell people it is not made by me :-[ ... coz 4 (out of the 35) people were hidden behind someone else, 2 guys had their eyes closed, one guy for some reason was looking at an imaginary planet, another guy decided to squat ahead of the front row at the edge of frame (making him look twice as fat as the fattest guy in the group) and while I was trying to get them all to look at the lens and visible to the camera, our Senior most Operations Manger was getting increasingly impatient that I was taking so long to make that photo ... the end result was an embaressing group photo. I much prefer making photos of landscapes, animals, birds or anything else for that matter, even though I am not very good at it. ;D

Upvote 0
There's some exif on this much larger version of the image:

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news/35533/_1360077899.jpg

It names the photographer as Greg Harbaugh. I assume that this is the guy:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/greg-harbaugh/5/7a3/5a5

His name is also on this version of the image:

http://www.pukmedia.com/Wenekan_Geleri/66121022013_image8.jpg

Although it's smaller that version has more exif data and identifies the equipment as a Nikon D800 with a 24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8. The full details are as follows:

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D800
Lens: 24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8
Image Date: 2013-02-04 16:30:57 -0800
Focal Length: 35.0mm (35mm equivalent: 35mm)
Focus Distance: 5.01m
Aperture: f/13.0
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Manual
Light Source: Flash
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Photographer: Greg Harbaugh
City: Beverly Hills
Sublocation: International Ballroom, Beverly Hilton Hotel
Province/State: CA
Copyright: ©A.M.P.A.S.
Title: 85th Academy Awards, Nominees Luncheon
Caption: Nominees for the 85th Academy Awards® pose for a group photo at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Oscar® Nominees Luncheon in Beverly Hills, California, Monday, February 4, 2013. The 85th Academy Awards will be presented on Sunday, February 24, 2013 at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network
Instructions: ©A.M.P.A.S. All rights reserved. No reproduction allowed without prior written permission. 310-247-3000.
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Macintosh

Upvote 0