What do you think of the 1Dx Mark II?

Now that the cat is out of the bag, how does the 1DX M2 stack up to your expectations

• Total voters
Jul 21, 2010
Jack Douglas said:
In case it's been missed, here is a blurb on the illuminated AF points. Big one for me having loved it on the 1D IV. Seems they went to great lengths to supply this feature.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/eos1dx_mkii/eos1dx_markii_red_af_illumination.shtml

Thanks! Indeed – the AF points are now not part of the transmissive LCD.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
expatinasia said:
Jack Douglas said:
In case it's been missed, here is a blurb on the illuminated AF points. Big one for me having loved it on the 1D IV. Seems they went to great lengths to supply this feature.

"http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/eos1dx_mkii/eos1dx_markii_red_af_illumination.shtml

Jack

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

The one thing I was hoping they would do is make the battery bars in the viewfinder more understandable.

I would like to know how many shots roughly, based on my shooting that day, I have left to go. Even a percentage would be preferable to bars like they have now.

Pity they have not done that, but the other improvements, and the flexibility to show what you want, is brilliant.

Until the battery get fairly low, I don't care the number of shots left. Then a simple warning, change color if < 20% to yellow and to red when < 10% and when really low (perhaps < 3-5%) flash red.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
RGF said:
expatinasia said:
Jack Douglas said:

"http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/eos1dx_mkii/eos1dx_markii_red_af_illumination.shtml

Jack

The one thing I was hoping they would do is make the battery bars in the viewfinder more understandable.

I would like to know how many shots roughly, based on my shooting that day, I have left to go. Even a percentage would be preferable to bars like they have now.

Pity they have not done that, but the other improvements, and the flexibility to show what you want, is brilliant.

Until the battery get fairly low, I don't care the number of shots left. Then a simple warning, change color if < 20% to yellow and to red when < 10% and when really low (perhaps < 3-5%) flash red.

Forget the colors, isn't it time they implement a sweet sexy female voice; "sir your battery is about to expire".

Jack

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
Jack Douglas said:
RGF said:
expatinasia said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Forget the colors, isn't it time they implement a sweet sexy female voice; "sir your battery is about to expire".

Jack

sexist. Why not a husky masculine voice, "sweetie, your battery needs your loving attention". :p

actually what I would like to see is voice recognition added to the camera. Sort of like Siri - [Camera name] F8, or [camera name] increase exposure comp by 1/3 of stop

Now that would be handy.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
Jack Douglas said:
Here is one where the D5 slaughters the 1DX II, on paper of course. Almost as good as Monty Python! ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDiTQRET4VA

Jack

Funny. I went to his website and learned that in addition to being a fan of comic book heroes and stuffed toys, he is also a *typical* Nikon fanboy. He likes all of his toys!

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
I voted for hot camera that exceeded my expectations. For me this will be a major upgrade over my current equipment - at least a 2 stop (maybe 3) improvement in mid to high ISO performance over my 5D2. The video specs finally meet my expectations and I'll likely start shooting video with some regularity.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
bedford said:
Jack Douglas said:
I actually paused before writing "female" voice cause I know there are a few women on here, but ultimately I failed. Really, Canon should just release two gendered cameras.

Jack

Why only two? ;)

Oliver

Yes I thought about that but decided to keep my mouth shut. Of course you were thinking of English where it is he,she and it as opposed to French for example. I don't remember my French - is a camera a he or she. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
JMZawodny said:
Jack Douglas said:
Here is one where the D5 slaughters the 1DX II, on paper of course. Almost as good as Monty Python! ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDiTQRET4VA

Jack

Funny. I went to his website and learned that in addition to being a fan of comic book heroes and stuffed toys, he is also a *typical* Nikon fanboy. He likes all of his toys!

One would have to conclude that his performance is strictly aimed at getting hits through irritation, no?

However, the Ken fellow turned Canon fanboy is far worse. I'd run away and hide for the rest of my life if I'd been writing as he does and yet these people just don't perceive that they are making fools of themselves. Or maybe they do but it's the way they make money and I'm the dumb one. :(

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Viggo said:
I wonder this: Did they finally make the "quality/res"-button programmable to something else? I seriously haven't touched that button ONCE on the 1d4 or the 1dx.

Not sure if this is what you're referring to but in my use of the 1D IV, I was annoyed that when reviewing a shot I hit the magnify it would go to almost 100% and then I had to wait while, with my finger on the -, I'd bring it back down. If I happened to get to full size and went past (smaller) then the + button would take me back to 100% instead of the immediately previous full size. I searched and searched for some way to not have that immediate 100% (OK for focus check only) but never found it. The 6D is way better in this regard with the shutter speed dial changing magnification and a choice of what degree of magnification initially. Any comment, was the 1DX different?

Jack

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
Jack Douglas said:
I actually paused before writing "female" voice cause I know there are a few women on here, but ultimately I failed. Really, Canon should just release two gendered cameras.

Jack

Let the voice be a menu feature.

But seriously why not have the camera have voice recognition - limit functions and would need some feature that would let it only pay attention to you (name, push a button, train it to recognize your voice, ...).

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
Viggo said:
I wonder this: Did they finally make the "quality/res"-button programmable to something else? I seriously haven't touched that button ONCE on the 1d4 or the 1dx.

I would like to see the buttons backlit for night time shooting.

Also have the quality / res button double as as series button. Menu function to change its function. Push it once to mark the start of series (pan, HDR, focus stacking, ...), push it again to mark the end of the series. Have DPP and LR able to read start / stop flags in the meta data and in the case of LR automatically place the images in a stack.

When in the series mode the button could light up, or perhaps the start flag is a quick push and the end of series push a long push.

Lots of ways to implement. with a bit of testing Canon could come up with a good way to do it.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
RGF said:
Viggo said:

I would like to see the buttons backlit for night time shooting.

Also have the quality / res button double as as series button. Menu function to change its function. Push it once to mark the start of series (pan, HDR, focus stacking, ...), push it again to mark the end of the series. Have DPP and LR able to read start / stop flags in the meta data and in the case of LR automatically place the images in a stack.

When in the series mode the button could light up, or perhaps the start flag is a quick push and the end of series push a long push.

Lots of ways to implement. with a bit of testing Canon could come up with a good way to do it.

Interesting question. There are several videos out on the web that should be able to answer that question. The videos show the menu screens related to reassigning button functionality. If I recall correctly, 13 of the buttons can be reprogrammed. I'll try to find more info when I have time, but for now I would guess the answer is yes.

Check this YouTube video from Canon at about 7:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVZbOWXJQnY
I'm not familiar with the icon associated with that particular button.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
StudentOfLight said:
expatinasia said:
pwp said:
Evolution not revolution was always going to be the reality. 20 mp is fine. In some almost intangible way 1DX files look better than my 5DIII images with identical shot, lens & settings. 1DX II files will push further out front.

Illuminated AF points is huge. Matching card slots would have been smart. I don't see any mention of Silent Shutter Mode. Did I miss that or didn't the feature make the final cut? The best AF is even better. More touch screen functionality would have been welcome, this seems a bit gutless.

Overall it pretty much meets expectations. The new camera will be familiar straight out of the box.

Real world reviews and user responses with real, shipping cameras will reveal the juicy truth. ;)

-pw

There is supposed to be a silent mode, but I await a video to show how silent.

As you said, real world reviews, where people are not scared of upsetting Canon, are the key. I await them too.
I expect the 1DX-II silent continuous mode to be the same as the 5Ds/R in high speed continuous. (i.e. a huge improvement over how loud the 5D-III is when shooting at 6fps)

5fps
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos1dx_markii_gallery.shtml

Mentions it @ 2.00 into the video.

Just how silent yet to be determined.

Regards how I feel about the 1Dx II, it's about what I expected & wanted, Personally I don't want an upgraded Camera to be off the wall with new & irrelevant features, if I want that I buy the Sony RX1R II, which I did, and I enjoy the Camera, what I wanted in the 1Dx II was an increase if frame rate, done, a usable increase in Low ISO, done (and re the D5 which shoots an 3 million ISO, good luck with that Nikon users, I hope it works out), the f/8 on all 61 AF points was unexpected but as I use long lenses with the 1.4x converter, it's a great feature that will assist, the video features may get me to use video more often.

All round I like what Canon have done here, enough of an upgrade for me to Pre Order 2 units.

Upvote 0