what do you want to see 7D Mark III

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
gekko said:
bhf3737 said:
2. Spot metering linked to AF points.

Already present on the 80D, so it would be very surprising if it was omitted on the 7D3.

Hi Grekko,

I have a very bad habit of forgetting about posts I've comented on and I forget to come back to them hence the late reply!

The original post (not by you) that I replyed to was specifically talking about Spot metering linked to AF points.
I don't think the 80D or 7D2 has that from the table (I don't have a either so happy to be corrected!)

What I didn't realise was that metering is linked in other modes though, really cool and as you say that functionality won't go back the way!

Regards

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Orangutan said:
I totally don't get the anti-AA filter fetish -- I'd much rather have microscopic softness than moiré.

Yeah, I'm with you. Moiré will totally ruin a shot; softness you'll never see, won't. Plus, post-processing sharpening will completely eliminate the softness 99.999% of the time, and provide an acceptable result to most human beings 100% of the time; but if you get hit with moiré on something that matters, that you don't catch in the moment, you're screwed.

Plus, very few people really need 20+ megapixel files in the finished product. Once you reduce it, any softness will be gone, but you'll still be stuck with moiré.

Upvote 0
Interesting that everyone seems locked in on the 24 mp. I hope for at least that and possible a little more (up to 30 mp). Reason being, with bird or wildlife photography I will take all the MPs and cropping/reach I can get. I use the 5DSR and appreciate the ability to crop images and still maintain resolution of feathers, eye detail, etc.

It would be great to have the equivalent resolution (considering crop sensor) with all the additional reach, speed, focusing ability, etc. If I get that as well as better low light handling (better handling up to 4-5000 iso) and dynamic range (1-1.5 stops).

Not sure if I will get all of that, but it would drastically improve all of the deficiencies I deal with in the 5DSR today and keep most of the benefits of the higher resolution.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Talys said:
Orangutan said:
I totally don't get the anti-AA filter fetish -- I'd much rather have microscopic softness than moiré.

Yeah, I'm with you. Moiré will totally ruin a shot; softness you'll never see, won't. Plus, post-processing sharpening will completely eliminate the softness 99.999% of the time, and provide an acceptable result to most human beings 100% of the time; but if you get hit with moiré on something that matters, that you don't catch in the moment, you're screwed.

Plus, very few people really need 20+ megapixel files in the finished product. Once you reduce it, any softness will be gone, but you'll still be stuck with moiré.

Yes, but the gear-heads want a camera with the MOST MPs, the MOST fps, the MOST DR, the MOST sharpness. Otherwise they feel that the camera is crippled. Doesn't matter if too much sharpness is actually a negative in MOST photographs.

Upvote 0
RGF said:
Fleetie said:
RGF said:
My wish list includes

- Low light/High ISO better than 1Dx M2 by 1-2 stops

Anyone else care to share their "realistic" thoughts on what you hope to see in the 7D M3.
Ha-ha-ha! With a crop sensor, too! Chortle!

good point. Perhaps 1-2 stops better than current?

Not going to happen

Readout noise is sufficently low now that I'd challenge anyone to notice the difference between current state of the art and absolute perfection in that regard.

One way forward is to improve quantum efficiency.

Raw sensor QE with micro-lenses is around 70% peak at the moment, less in red and blue. Add in the bayer matrix and we're down to about 25%.

So you need to change the matrix to an on chip dichroric style prism microlens array (not yet invented), or go with three sensors and a BIG interference filter based beam spitter to efficently split the colours and you'd need back illumination to get the raw quantum efficiny of the sensors up to ~90% across the entire optical band.

Otherwise you're stuck at around 25% QE.

here's an excellent write up done in the era of the 5DII and 50D, things have improved a little since then: http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/50d/test.htm

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
I strongly suspect that Canon has surveyed photographers and found that most pros will say "don't mess with my buttons" as people who use their cameras daily are creatures of habit and don't take kindly to having the cheese moved around.

Can someone tell microsoft please!

Upvote 0
rfdesigner said:
unfocused said:
I strongly suspect that Canon has surveyed photographers and found that most pros will say "don't mess with my buttons" as people who use their cameras daily are creatures of habit and don't take kindly to having the cheese moved around.

Can someone tell microsoft please!

Wouldn't do any good to tell them, they don't listen.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
unfocused said:
Orangutan said:
I totally don't get the anti-AA filter fetish -- I'd much rather have microscopic softness than moiré. Unacceptable softness is much more likely to be caused by poor AF or DoF than the AA filter. For landscape I can almost see removing the AA filter because AF and DoF error can usually be removed by proper technique; even there, though, unless you're printing YUGE you're not going to notice slight softness on 20+ MP images. And, BTW, the 7D-series is marketed more for action than landscape

As an aside, I'd love to see side-by-side shots of 5DS and 5DSr of the same scene for comparison.

I'm with you. I strongly suspect the anti-AA filter fetish is one of those Internet forum infatuations that is driven by a desire to be cool and sophisticated. Somebody comes up with the idea and everybody jumps on it based on some assumptions that aren't necessarily reflected in real world use.

For routine use, not ultra high MP, the AA filter does not hurt much, if at all, and can save problems.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ronaldbyram said:
I wish there was a way to add a improved scratch proof screen. I would say the 7D3 needs a cover but if they get a FLippy then that is not the answer.

The stuff they use for high end smartphones now is pretty scratch resistant, and it's not like you have to worry about shatter -- if something is going to shatter your DSLR screen (like dropping it onto a hard surface), worse things will happen than screen shatter.

Upvote 0
zim said:
gekko said:
bhf3737 said:
2. Spot metering linked to AF points.

Already present on the 80D, so it would be very surprising if it was omitted on the 7D3.

Hi Grekko,

I have a very bad habit of forgetting about posts I've comented on and I forget to come back to them hence the late reply!

The original post (not by you) that I replyed to was specifically talking about Spot metering linked to AF points.
I don't think the 80D or 7D2 has that from the table (I don't have a either so happy to be corrected!)

What I didn't realise was that metering is linked in other modes though, really cool and as you say that functionality won't go back the way!

Regards

See here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=33181.msg684569#msg684569
and here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=33181.msg684742#msg684742

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Talys said:
Orangutan said:

If you have access to the RAW files you should be able to correct for that anyway through pre-debeyering softening. AA filters were only really necessary in the pre-RAW era, and having them in the camera now takes way options you might otherwise have.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Tugela said:
Talys said:
Orangutan said:

If you have access to the RAW files you should be able to correct for that anyway through pre-debeyering softening. AA filters were only really necessary in the pre-RAW era, and having them in the camera now takes way options you might otherwise have.

I have taken tens of thousands of shots with my 5DSR of birds and have had only a handful of them being spoiled by Moire (and not really spoiled, just a slight amount that is only noticeable on high enlargement that you do don't see in small prints). I have had similar Moire from my 5DIV. I have had great shots from my 7DII. The 5DSR crops are simply sharper.

As for: " Plus, post-processing sharpening will completely eliminate the softness 99.999% of the time, and provide an acceptable result to most human beings 100% of the time". Sharpening increases acutance, apparent sharpness; it doesn't restore details that are lost by softness, ie get back the lost resolution because of blurring by the AA-filter.

Upvote 0