what do you want to see 7D Mark III

ahsanford said:
Ryananthony said:
Why can't Canon make a tilt screen like every other company. I hate the way it folds out and to the side of the camera. And yes, Ive owned and used them before.

Why does Canon not give us [name any feature] that we want? Because they have data that says it won't kill them to leave it out.

Presumably the 7D2 had a tilty-flippy left out because Canon has market research that says it would be less valuable to photographers on sports' sidelines and in the bush shooting wildlife than (say) a general photographer. Or there is a stigma to the more rough/demanding field shooters that such features are more damage-prone -- those folks might prize overall durability/toughness over the upside of a tilty-flippy.

As many have debunked on this forum, tilty-flippy screens work brilliantly and fears of them taking damage can be easily solved by never tilting-swiveling them.

In the end, I think every camera will get a tilty-flippy other than the 1-series. Whether the 7D3 does or not is a 50-50 in my mind right now.

- A

If having it doesn't affect durability and 5D and 7D consumers shouldn't mind, why is the 1D any different? What means that the 1D should stay with a fixed screen?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
LonelyBoy said:
If having it doesn't affect durability and 5D and 7D consumers shouldn't mind, why is the 1D any different? What means that the 1D should stay with a fixed screen?

Total guess on my part, but here goes:

1-series users these days are all more likely (but not necessarily all) legacy 1D people (or 7D people that stepped up) that are in the field shooting high speed stuff -- not old 1Ds studio folks.

They are folks that are the most demanding physically on their gear, and that gear is far more likely to take drops, impact, collisions, who knows (whiplash in surf shooting, rubber/real bullet fire with war/protest reportage, etc.)

They are also in the field all the time, so they have to deal with the worst temperature extremes, precipitation, etc.

So it's logical that they would see any moving bits as a threat to the invulnerability of their rigs. Again, we lack any data on this, but one would imagine a tilty flippy can't take a hit from an (American) football player run out of bounds on a tackle as well as an traditional integral screen body. Tilty-flippies work well in general use as many here will attest, but can they take that kind of punishment?

I'm playing devil's advocate here -- I think a tilty-flippy is a high value feature that all levels of photographers would benefit from. But some folks have different priorities and may see this feature as not being worth the very very small additional risk of failure. When you are out in the s--- shooting something like this, you may want to keep the moving bits to a minimum -- but I defer to the football sideline / desert rally racing / arctic fox chasing / war correspondents to speak to that.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
LonelyBoy said:

Total guess on my part, but here goes:

1-series users these days are all more likely (but not necessarily all) legacy 1D people (or 7D people that stepped up) that are in the field shooting high speed stuff -- not old 1Ds studio folks.

They are folks that are the most demanding physically on their gear, and that gear is far more likely to take drops, impact, collisions, who knows (whiplash in surf shooting, rubber/real bullet fire with war/protest reportage, etc.)

They are also in the field all the time, so they have to deal with the worst temperature extremes, precipitation, etc.

So it's logical that they would see any moving bits as a threat to the invulnerability of their rigs. Again, we lack any data on this, but one would imagine a tilty flippy can't take a hit from an (American) football player run out of bounds on a tackle as well as an traditional integral screen body. Tilty-flippies work well in general use as many here will attest, but can they take that kind of punishment?

I'm playing devil's advocate here -- I think a tilty-flippy is a high value feature that all levels of photographers would benefit from. But some folks have different priorities and may see this feature as not being worth the very very small additional risk of failure. When you are out in the s--- shooting something like this, you may want to keep the moving bits to a minimum -- but I defer to the football sideline / desert rally racing / arctic fox chasing / war correspondents to speak to that.

- A

Well and that's my point - since a tilty-flippy clearly is a durability compromise, who's to say which bodies it's acceptable on? The XXD and 6D, surely. The 7D? That might be used for football, even if only high school or small-school college, or AFL, or the like, but that can still be quite a hit to get run into by one of those players. Birders might want more durability in the wild as well. The 5D is the one I see most likely to add a tilty-flippy, but it would make me sad. Durability is comforting when you're clumsy...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
johnf3f said:
For me the 7D3 (whishlist) is 1DX Mk1 AF, a lowish MP APSH sensor - 16MP or less, no wi fi, no GPS, no video, no flippy screen, no more whizz bang features that are of o use and a battery grip that accepts 1 series batteries.

Not going to happen - but that is what I want ;D
You can still find it cheap: 1D MkIV ok more or less :D

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

tron said:
johnf3f said:
For me the 7D3 (whishlist) is 1DX Mk1 AF, a lowish MP APSH sensor - 16MP or less, no wi fi, no GPS, no video, no flippy screen, no more whizz bang features that are of o use and a battery grip that accepts 1 series batteries.

You can still find it cheap: 1D MkIV ok more or less :D

Used to have a 1D4, great camera. Been spoilt these days with the 1DX!

If Canon were to build a NEW APSH sensor with moderate MP then the high ISO performance could be quite a bit better than the current 7D2. Add a bump up in the AF performance and I think we could have a very high performing and sensibly priced wildlife/sports body.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
For me, an improved AF. I have read elsewhere that the unpredictability of the AF is as much down to the higher pixel density as anything, though I notice that people think the AF of the 5DSR is better. So who knows....

Two other thing I would find useful for wildlife is all-point AF at f8 and touchscreen that allows you to change focus point with the camera at your eye: being able to dab the screen on my Panasonic MFT to change AF point is something I have used several times.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
tron said:
Hector1970 said:
For me it's a better image quality in the end. I don't find the image as clear as it should be especially as ISO goes up. I always feel it's lacking. I don't expect it to be as good as full frame but much better.
12 FPS would be good. I'm not a fan of the 7DII / 5DSR sensor. At the time too many pixels crammed in.
Have you tested 5DsR and 7DII or 7DII only? I thought the same for 5DsR until I bought it. It's IQ is better than 7DII in low ISO (at least up to 1000).
Yes I've both. Unsatisfied with both. The 5DIV for me produces better images than the 5DSR. It's my number 1 choice.
At higher magnification I find the 7DII and 5DSR images are smudgy where a 5DIII or 5DIV are still clean.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
That is, actually, correct. 5D IV about 15% sharper than 5DsR at pixel level. 7D II is approx. in the same ball park with 5DsR.

5d IV and 80D produce much sharper images at pixel level. 80D is even sharper (slightly) than 5D IV.
I posted this before, but here is the hope that both 5DsR II and 7D III will inherit sensor tech from 80D up-scaled to whatever sensor size Canon choose to use in new bodies.

Hector1970 said:
Yes I've both. Unsatisfied with both. The 5DIV for me produces better images than the 5DSR. It's my number 1 choice.
At higher magnification I find the 7DII and 5DSR images are smudgy where a 5DIII or 5DIV are still clean.

Upvote 0
I'd like them to do everything possible to go head-to-head with the D500 and damn the price, but I'd settle for the following: 80D sensor, but as close to 1-series autofocus as they can get. Keep it at least 10 fps. 100% viewfinder at 1.0 magnification. Touchscreen, but no need for tilty/flippy. Much faster, more user-friendly pairing and remote capabilities with smartphones. At least match the best video capabilities among Canon DSLRs.

In short, give me reasons to be happy not to sell off my small Canon glass collection and start over with another brand for shooting indoor sports on a sub full-frame budget.

Upvote 0
RGF said:
Fleetie said:
RGF said:
My wish list includes

- Low light/High ISO better than 1Dx M2 by 1-2 stops

Anyone else care to share their "realistic" thoughts on what you hope to see in the 7D M3.
Ha-ha-ha! With a crop sensor, too! Chortle!

good point. Perhaps 1-2 stops better than current?

If we got 1-2 stops better high ISO every time it's been asked for it in a successive model, we'd be taking picture of black holes with our iPhones ;D

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
IglooEater said:
RGF said:
Fleetie said:
RGF said:
My wish list includes

- Low light/High ISO better than 1Dx M2 by 1-2 stops

Anyone else care to share their "realistic" thoughts on what you hope to see in the 7D M3.
Ha-ha-ha! With a crop sensor, too! Chortle!

good point. Perhaps 1-2 stops better than current?

If we got 1-2 stops better high ISO every time it's been asked for it in a successive model, we'd be taking picture of black holes with our iPhones ;D
Since no light escapes a black hole, it really does not matter which camera you use

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
johnf3f said:

Your camera is available right now. Go find yourself a good low mileage 1D MkIV.
It's exactly what you've described.

-pw

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
For me if they just stick the 80D sensor and add a touch screen in it would be fine for my usage I think the 7DMKII is really rather excellent as it is.

One thing I would like is if they could improve the consistency of the AF it may have the same AF system as the 5DMKIII and 1DX but it certainly doesnt hit anywhere near as accurately and consistently.

Many occasions it will acquire focus and I will get a frame that is completely out, nothing in the frame is in focus even on the standard AF profile shooting still subjects. It can be frustrating.

When it does hit its fantastic. I had none of these issues with the 5DMKIII.

The 80D and 6DMKII have the same issue so I think it may be something to do with the DPAF.

Upvote 0