What do you think of the 1Dx Mark II?

Now that the cat is out of the bag, how does the 1DX M2 stack up to your expectations

• Total voters

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
In the days and weeks leading up to the announcement a lot of us were speculating on what features the new camera would have or at least what we would like to see.

Now that the 1DX M2 is released, did Canon meet your expectations?

For me I would say they feel slightly short, though I may have been overly optimistic. I had hoped for 22-24 MP and a more focusing points. The two different card slots is a poor design decision for me, but I can understand why they did it. I would have preferred a configuration with 2 of the same.

I am pleased with the price, Canon reduced the intro price compared to the 1DX, at least in USD.

As a devout Canon Shooter I am biased. Also after having read some of the first hand reviews and seen the comments and images from some of the Canon shooters I am even more biased. This just may be the camera that I have been waiting for...no doubt after reading the comments from Rouse and a couple of others that this camera is an improvement over my 1DX that is worth the investment....have mine ordered already!

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Give and take a few. Would have preferred 2-4 more MP and matching slots, didn't expect f/8 for all AF points or on-chip ADC (although we have yet to see what difference that makes).

This.

I also was hoping for illuminated buttons, similar to Nikon's, as well as a third programmable button on the front of the camera. Not major disappointments, though.

I'm giving some thought to upgrading. I have awhile to decide, at least!

Upvote 0
I am happy with the camera as is. For me it is the 61 f/8 points that pushed me over the edge to preorder it. Without that feature I don't think I would have preordered and would have had a more wait and see approach.

I'd rather use my 600+2x on the 1DX2 than the 600+1.4 on the 7D2 but with the 1DX I leaned more towards the 7D2 combo to keep all the AF points. The much better noise control on the 1DX2 (and 1DX) more than makes up for the loss of light compared to the 7D2.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
It's definitely on my radar to buy this thing instead of continually renting. I could see myself selling the 6D & 7D for certain...possibly my 5D3 to mitigate the out of pocket investment on this. It would pay for itself the rest of the way in 12 months. By then, I might go back and pick up a 5D4 too.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
While there are improvements on paper, I find it hard to see how this will make significant a difference in the day of a typical user.
I am almost certain the IQ will be indistinguishable from the current model so the improvements need to be in AF and ergonomics.
DPR's initial experience with a pre-production model was unimpressive in the AF department so we will need to see if progress is made on delivered units.

I always enjoyed the subjective aspects of using the 1D series but gladly gave it up when the 5D series came around.

Upvote 0
I think it met my expectations. I would have liked more dual cross-type AF points for f/2.8 though.

All f/8 does little for me with regards to stills for sport.

I am looking forward to testing it and reading the real-life reviews which will come, especially with regards to the battery life when shooting 4K at 50/60 fps.

I doubt I will be buying it though, but will wait until I test it before deciding, as from a stills perspective it is very close to the 1DX so will keep that, and may get a C100 or something else for video if I need it.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
mackguyver said:
I preordered one as it always seems like the new Canon bodies are far better in actual use than on paper. I also think the new features are definitely things that will benefit my wildlife work. I can always cancel my order if it turns out to be a dud, but I'm doubtful that will be the case.

Agree. the canon improves the camera in ways that the specs can not tell. Looking forward to trying the new body.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
In case it's been missed, here is a blurb on the illuminated AF points. Big one for me having loved it on the 1D IV. Seems they went to great lengths to supply this feature.

"http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/eos1dx_mkii/eos1dx_markii_red_af_illumination.shtml

Jack

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

The one thing I was hoping they would do is make the battery bars in the viewfinder more understandable.

I would like to know how many shots roughly, based on my shooting that day, I have left to go. Even a percentage would be preferable to bars like they have now.

Pity they have not done that, but the other improvements, and the flexibility to show what you want, is brilliant.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Evolution not revolution was always going to be the reality. 20 mp is fine. In some almost intangible way 1DX files look better than my 5DIII images with identical shot, lens & settings. 1DX II files will push further out front.

Illuminated AF points is huge. Matching card slots would have been smart. I don't see any mention of Silent Shutter Mode. Did I miss that or didn't the feature make the final cut? The best AF is even better. More touch screen functionality would have been welcome, this seems a bit gutless.

Overall it pretty much meets expectations. The new camera will be familiar straight out of the box.

Real world reviews and user responses with real, shipping cameras will reveal the juicy truth. ;)

-pw

Upvote 0
pwp said:
Evolution not revolution was always going to be the reality. 20 mp is fine. In some almost intangible way 1DX files look better than my 5DIII images with identical shot, lens & settings. 1DX II files will push further out front.

Illuminated AF points is huge. Matching card slots would have been smart. I don't see any mention of Silent Shutter Mode. Did I miss that or didn't the feature make the final cut? The best AF is even better. More touch screen functionality would have been welcome, this seems a bit gutless.

Overall it pretty much meets expectations. The new camera will be familiar straight out of the box.

Real world reviews and user responses with real, shipping cameras will reveal the juicy truth. ;)

-pw

There is supposed to be a silent mode, but I await a video to show how silent.

As you said, real world reviews, where people are not scared of upsetting Canon, are the key. I await them too.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
expatinasia said:
pwp said:

-pw

There is supposed to be a silent mode, but I await a video to show how silent.

As you said, real world reviews, where people are not scared of upsetting Canon, are the key. I await them too.
I expect the 1DX-II silent continuous mode to be the same as the 5Ds/R in high speed continuous. (i.e. a huge improvement over how loud the 5D-III is when shooting at 6fps)

Upvote 0