What lenses do you feel are "missing" from RF still?

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I’m not too fussed about it being L, just a RF 24-70 F4 IS would suffice.
When you think back to the ef 24-85 3.5-4.5 usm, makes me wonder why canon are pi$$ing about.
At this point I think there won't be any constant-aperture FF RF zooms without the L branding.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
At this point I think there won't be any constant-aperture FF RF zooms without the L branding.
Agreed. Canon seems to be drawing a clear distinction between consumer lenses and L-series lenses, beyond just weather sealing. People here frequently ask for 'mid-range' lenses, i.e. f/1.4 primes falling between expensive f/1.2L and consumer f/1.8 or constant aperture non-L zooms. I suspect there's a very good reason we haven't seen such lenses and won't – Canon wants people to buy the more expensive, high margin L-series lenses to drive their bottom line.

Having said that, Canon is offering some really good values in their non-L lenses. As I've said before, there's not another brand where you can build a three-zoom kit covering 15-400mm for $1550 (or less if you catch one of the discount periods), or an OEM 800mm lens for $1000.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Agreed. Canon seems to be drawing a clear distinction between consumer lenses and L-series lenses, beyond just weather sealing. People here frequently ask for 'mid-range' lenses, i.e. f/1.4 primes falling between expensive f/1.2L and consumer f/1.8 or constant aperture non-L zooms. I suspect there's a very good reason we haven't seen such lenses and won't – Canon wants people to buy the more expensive, high margin L-series lenses to drive their bottom line.

Having said that, Canon is offering some really good values in their non-L lenses. As I've said before, there's not another brand where you can build a three-zoom kit covering 15-400mm for $1550 (or less if you catch one of the discount periods), or an OEM 800mm lens for $1000.
Comparing the EF and RF prices, I feel that RF only has 'mid-range' and L lenses. The bottom tier is missing compared to EF. The RF15-30 STM is about twice as expensive as I expected an EF version of that to be, but it's also performing a lot better than I expected it to. The EF17-40L I compared it to sets a really low bar, but it does have a red ring!

Having said that, my copy of the RF50 STM performs poorly most of the time and the RF50L has "Let me explain our privacy and recording policies to you" vibes, so 50mm that sits in between those does appeal to me. But Sony showed that people will pay €1700 for a 50/1.4, so I'm not optimistic about the price point Canon will pick for those not-quite-L lenses.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
… People here frequently ask for 'mid-range' lenses, i.e. f/1.4 primes falling between expensive f/1.2L and consumer f/1.8 or constant aperture non-L zooms. …
From what I’ve seen in tests and reviews I think, one should take into account, that the new consumer primes offer better IQ at f/1.8 wide open than the old „f/1.4 midrange“ did at f/2 or f/2.8.

If this is fits in the real world and comes with a good QC in production I see no more reason for three lines/levels but just two.

I can understand complaints here about built quality or extending or rotating barrels.
But if Canon decided to build a lens that way it means just to take or leave it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Lol. You're welcome to your opinion. Personally, I think choice is a good thing. It's a $200 (kit cost) standard zoom lens for FF. Nothing crippled about it, you're getting what you pay for. If you can't afford 'stupidly expensive' high-quality zooms, you're not alone. Canon is offering a FF camera with a standard zoom for $1700.

The 24-105/4L that I'll use often on the R8 will overbalance the body...
View attachment 208287
...and it cost nearly as much as the R8.

The 24-50 is the right size for the R8, and a good match...
View attachment 208288

As I said, you don't like...don't buy. But if there wasn't a market for this lens, Canon would not have made it.

How about comparing the new 24-50 to the 24-105/4-7.1 IS STM, rather than the much more expensive L.

Bryan Carnathan has a handy comparison in his review

The 24-105 has:
  • bigger range of focal lengths (obviously)
  • is a tad faster, aperture-wise
  • less peripheral shading, wide open
  • Sharper over much of the overlapping range
  • Much higher magnification (0.5x versus 0.19x for the 24-50)
But, the 24-50 is a tad heavier and more expensive.

I'm sure the 24-50 must have a market, but on the whole I see little to recommend the 24-50 over the 24-105.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
How about comparing the new 24-50 to the 24-105/4-7.1 IS STM, rather than the much more expensive L.
Certainly a good comparison, and optically the 24-105 non-L has minor advantages in IQ and a major advantage of covering a much broader focal range with the same wide end.

Incidentally, I was comparing the 24-50 to the 24-105/4L because I have the latter (and I have no intention of getting either the 24-50 or the 24-105 non-L).

But, the 24-50 is a tad heavier and more expensive.
I'm sure the 24-50 must have a market, but on the whole I see little to recommend the 24-50 over the 24-105.
You need to check your facts on those points. RF 24-105/4-7.1 weighs 395 g compared to 210 g for the RF 24-50, meaning the 24-50 is not a 'tad heavier' as you suggest but rather about half the weight of the 24-105 non-L. The 24-50 is also almost 1 cm thinner and 3 cm shorter.

Also, the RF 24-105/4-7.1 sells (in the US) for $399 alone or $300 in a kit, while the RF 24-50 sells for $299 alone or $200 in a kit, so the 24-50 is not more expensive as you suggest, but rather costs 25-33% less.

So what the 24-50 has to recommend over the 24-105 non-L is that it's significantly smaller, lighter and cheaper.

As I said, with the 24-50 you're getting what you pay for – a small, light, inexpensive lens covering the wide-normal range that is a very good match for a small FF body like the R8.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Comparing the EF and RF prices, I feel that RF only has 'mid-range' and L lenses. The bottom tier is missing compared to EF. The RF15-30 STM is about twice as expensive as I expected an EF version of that to be, but it's also performing a lot better than I expected it to. The EF17-40L I compared it to sets a really low bar, but it does have a red ring!

Having said that, my copy of the RF50 STM performs poorly most of the time and the RF50L has "Let me explain our privacy and recording policies to you" vibes, so 50mm that sits in between those does appeal to me. But Sony showed that people will pay €1700 for a 50/1.4, so I'm not optimistic about the price point Canon will pick for those not-quite-L lenses.
That's a fair point from the standpoint of price, although the EF lenses you're talking about are generally much older and inflation relative to launch price matters for such comparisons. But I'd say that from a performance perspective, the consumer RF lenses are generally comparable to the 'mid-range' EF lenses from an optical standpoint (albeit with slower apertures in general), as @Maximilian stated above.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I noticed that comment before about rotating barrels. Does any RF lens do this?
Not that I'm aware of.
Same here!
But I read some complaint here.
Sorry for causing confusion.
But I also don't have the time to check each and every feature.
I only wanted to say, that people might have complaints.
But if so, everyone has to think about what is a no-go for them.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
You need to check your facts on those points. RF 24-105/4-7.1 weighs 395 g compared to 210 g for the RF 24-50, meaning the 24-50 is not a 'tad heavier' as you suggest but rather about half the weight of the 24-105 non-L. The 24-50 is also almost 1 cm thinner and 3 cm shorter.

Also, the RF 24-105/4-7.1 sells (in the US) for $399 alone or $300 in a kit, while the RF 24-50 sells for $299 alone or $200 in a kit, so the 24-50 is not more expensive as you suggest, but rather costs 25-33% less.

So what the 24-50 has to recommend over the 24-105 non-L is that it's significantly smaller, lighter and cheaper.

As I said, with the 24-50 you're getting what you pay for – a small, light, inexpensive lens covering the wide-normal range that is a very good match for a small FF body like the R8.
What I really need to do is re-read before I post (slaps forehead) - I meant to say that the 24-50 is lighter and less expensive. Anyways, thanks for pointing this out.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I think that there are numerous lenses missing in the RF- line: the third party lenses. Canon produces consumer lenses and high end lenses, but there is a gap in between. Why not open the market for e.g. Irix and Tokina? Manual focus will do fine! Canons keeps control over the market that way.
Lol, best to check your facts before you post, it helps you avoid looking foolish. What makes you think the RF mount is closed? Are you unaware of the dozens of 3rd party manual focus RF lenses currently available from Laowa, TTArtisans, Irix, and Cosina’s recently-announced 50/1.0?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 393686

Lol, best to check your facts before you post, it helps you avoid looking foolish. What makes you think the RF mount is closed? Are you unaware of the dozens of 3rd party manual focus RF lenses currently available from Laowa, TTArtisans, Irix, and Cosina’s recently-announced 50/1.0?
Well, i tried several Irix lenses on my R10. Non of them worked, not Af and not Mf. Irix admits that (see my earlier thread). Checking facts you said?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Well, i tried several Irix lenses on my R10. Non of them worked, not Af and not Mf. Irix admits that (see my earlier thread). Checking facts you said?
Perhaps I misinterpreted your post. The fact is that there are many manual focus RF-mount lenses by 3rd parties, including Irix, that work perfectly on R-series cameras.

Yes, old EF-mount Irix lenses when used on some R bodies via the EF-RF mount adapter do not work. Is that what you mean by 'open the market' – that you believe it's Canon's responsibility to make old, reverse-engineered lenses for a previous mount compatible with their R-series cameras? Lol. Don't hold your breath.

Judging by the number of responses —zero— to your post about this ‘issue’, why would Canon even care? Especially since the incompatibility is almost certainly due to the lens, it’s an Irix problem (and apparently a you problem), not a Canon problem.

Also, if your actual concern is that Canon’s RF lens lineup lacks a ‘middle tier’ there are a wide variety of EF lenses that fill that gap, including L-series lenses with used prices that have fallen into the range of non-L RF lenses, along with an array of 3rd party lenses from Sigma/Tamron/Tokina, that are fully compatible with R-series bodies.

Upvote 0
I think that there are numerous lenses missing in the RF- line: the third party lenses. Canon produces consumer lenses and high end lenses, but there is a gap in between. Why not open the market for e.g. Irix and Tokina? Manual focus will do fine! Canons keeps control over the market that way.
Exactly. A tamron 28-75 on the R8 would be a dream come true, but Canon seems against that so in the meantime I have to go with a different brand, losing them a customer.

Upvote 0