What will Canon bring to the table with the EOS R1?

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Never heard of that while I designed ICs. Got a link? Seriously interested.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It's the way we should all be. People seem to hold opinions to the death even when evidence shows otherwise
Although last Saturday's 7.1 magnitude earthquake may scuttle Canon's 2021 plans. Good luck to everyone actually buying gear in 2021.

The problem with product rumors is that almost all the time its based on what the buyer wants to happen rather than what makes sense economically for the company producing.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Although last Saturday's 7.1 magnitude earthquake may scuttle Canon's 2021 plans. Good luck to everyone actually buying gear in 2021.

The problem with product rumors is that almost all the time its based on what the buyer wants to happen rather than what makes sense economically for the company producing.
What was the level of damage to the manufacturing industry in Japan from that earthquake?

Upvote 0
What was the level of damage to the manufacturing industry in Japan from that earthquake?
CanonRumor has yet to disclose that information.

When the 2011 Japan earthquake occurred my order for the 400/2.8 IS II was delayed by a year.

Back then they had a plant near the epicenter. I am unsure if this has changed.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
The more I see on the SONY A1, I just don't see how Canon can compete with the R1
I dont think they will try to compete. The R5 has most of what the A1 offers at a much better price. I think an R1 will be a true 'profeesional' body. Big, solid, almost indestructable and containing all the features and specs to get the job done well in any situation. It will be a monster of a camera but not necessarily a 'spec monster'. Although having said that i have no doubt its specs will still be insane

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
If that's the case.... The R1 will be a failure
Hmmm...let’s restate this.

So your opinion is that if the R5 competes well the Sony A1 well enough as is, then the R1 will be a failure?

There is a first for everything so perhaps you are right, BUT...a couple of things.

1. While I don’t know, I suspect that whatever specs the R1 ultimately has it will surpass those of the R5 by a good margin. Considering the success of the R5 thus far it would seem a little shortsighted to label the eventual R1 as a failure.
2. The 1 series from Canon, and the comparable Nikon body (what’s the latest D6?). Have been at the pinnacle of pro action photography for a very long time. People have their opinions on which way the wind has blown with any given model release but from what I see nothing else introduced has knocked either of them from that spot. Sony has certainly introduced some competition in this niche which is great...but taken it over? Not even close. Considering all their histories at this point I would be highly surprised if any of them introduced a failure to the market.

But hey...time will tell as it always does and perhaps I’m reading it all wrong. I mean I was certainly wrong when I didn’t believe Canon was going down the tubes.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

So your opinion is that if the R5 competes well the Sony A1 well enough as is, then the R1 will be a failure?

There is a first for everything so perhaps you are right, BUT...a couple of things.

1. While I don’t know, I suspect that whatever specs the R1 ultimately has it will surpass those of the R5 by a good margin. Considering the success of the R5 thus far it would seem a little shortsighted to label the eventual R1 as a failure.
2. The 1 series from Canon, and the comparable Nikon body (what’s the latest D6?). Have been at the pinnacle of pro action photography for a very long time. People have their opinions on which way the wind has blown with any given model release but from what I see nothing else introduced has knocked either of them from that spot. Sony has certainly introduced some competition in this niche which is great...but taken it over? Not even close. Considering all their histories at this point I would be highly surprised if any of them introduced a failure to the market.

But hey...time will tell as it always does and perhaps I’m reading it all wrong. I mean I was certainly wrong when I didn’t believe Canon was going down the tubes.
Keep in mind that GoldWing operates under such high standards that the lowly 1DX III is a disaster in his eyes.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Keep in mind that GoldWing operates under such high standards that the lowly 1DX III is a disaster in his eyes.
As an "upgrade to the 1DXMKII" it is and was. Canon knew full well the timing and R6 R5 modality at the time. It was dishonest IMHO. If today Canon released the R5 and 1DXMKIII on the same day, what do you think the market would have done. We all know the game!

• Haha
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
As an "upgrade to the 1DXMKII" it is and was. Canon knew full well the timing and R6 R5 modality at the time. It was dishonest IMHO. If today Canon released the R5 and 1DXMKIII on the same day, what do you think the market would have done. We all know the game!
Bottom line, if the R1 does not exceed R5 and A1 it will not sell. Canon has enough time to not put a dumbed down camera in front of professionals within context of the A1 and R5. This could be their last chance according to many.

• Haha
Upvote 0
The market for something like the R5 and the R1 are very different.

The R1 needs to be designed to work 100% 24/7 while standing in the middle of a hurricane before stepping into a -30C blizzard before stepping into a 40C heat wave. No babying. No thinking it might work it might not.

It needs to be tough enough to crack walnuts in between shots.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The market for something like the R5 and the R1 are very different.

The R1 needs to be designed to work 100% 24/7 while standing in the middle of a hurricane before stepping into a -30C blizzard before stepping into a 40C heat wave. No babying. No thinking it might work it might not.

It needs to be tough enough to crack walnuts in between shots.
Wrong. It needs to be tough enough to crack brazil nuts.

Oh, and there'd better be some indication that they're working on being able to withstand the flame from a bernz-o-matic, too.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
It's the way we should all be. People seem to hold opinions to the death even when evidence shows otherwise

I agree it's the way we should be. I was just referencing another post where lots of evidence was presented and dolina was solidly dug in that there would be no R1 until 2024.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Wrong. It needs to be tough enough to crack brazil nuts.

Oh, and there'd better be some indication that they're working on being able to withstand the flame from a bernz-o-matic, too.

I always thought the standard was you could use it to bludgeon someone to death and still be able to use it to take a perfectly focused photo of the corpse?

• Haha
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Relative to Canon R5, SONY A1 it is. The move from MKII to MKIII was a waste with Canon knowing the R5 was being released. Many are tired of dumbed down cameras. Fuji, Sony, Samsung are leaps in front. If the R1 is not superior to the A1 and R5, Canon will lose their pro sports franchise.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org

The Canon 1 series and Nikon D are antiquaded compared to current technology. The R1 will test if Canon can stay relevant.

Upvote 0