What will the 5D MK III really be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
The rumors for a 5D MK III are, as we know, 22mp or thereabouts. However, I detected some subtle comments (hints) from DPR that it might not be the case. If a announcement is coming up in three weeks, there is a outside chance that they know something.

Here are two statements that have me thinking. I doubt that they are intentionally dropping any hints... Or are they?? Something to consider.

1. From the D800 description.

Nikon's newest DSLR offers a significantly more advanced feature set, including a pixel count of 36.3MP that - for now at least - bests the competition by a comfortable margin, and is comparable only with high-end medium format digital equipment.

2. From the article on the 24-70mm MK II, and the 24 & 28mm Primes.

the most interesting thing about these launches is the fact that Canon feels the need to update various full-frame lenses, almost as if something likely to test the quality of its existing versions was in the offing.

Mar 25, 2011
pdirestajr said:
Isn't it possible they feel the need to update some full frame lenses because they are 25 years old? (28mm f/2.8)

It is also the 25th anniversary of the EOS system on March 1. So get ready for that 650D! Haha.

Of course it is, I was merely noting DPR's suggestive comments. They do get specs and review information in advance under a Non-disclosure agreement, but they might also have untentionally dropped a vague hint.

The WPPI event is in about 1 week in Las Vegas (Wedding Photography Association). It's one of the places to announce a wedding oriented camera like the 5D MK ?? DPR would have some info by now, if a announcement were upcoming before Feb 16.

http://www.wppionline.com/

Upvote 0
a good 30MP, 6fps, 7D AF as is, better video

Yeah as soon as I saw that statement from DPR I wondered if it might not be a hint, they were mad in the past that they had to stand to the NDA while everyone leaked this or that and it was a sore point for them that stuck in their craw for years so maybe this was a sneaky non-leak leak of a hint of course they might just be guessing too.

The information on the LCD screen from the Africa photos also hints at high MP. The easiest reading of it delivers about 30MP, although 23MP and 37MP are within margin of fairly reasonable error so you can't really say for sure.

A few other things point this way too. I think CR just may be way, way wrong on their CR2 specs this time, we will see.

You do wonder what Canon is waiting for at this point, if they actually had something ready and good though....

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

Mt Spokane Photography said:
What will the 5D MK III really be?

It will be really awesome.

I personally don't think Canon will go down the megapixel route, they can do it, they've done it, they've chosen not to. 20-22 sounds reasonable - to me anyway. Better FPS, but not a major issue if its not there, 4 or 5 FPS, with 6/7 with mirror lockup enabled, kinda the way its done in the 1Dx would be nice, definitely going to have better AF (dedicated Digic 4 for AF? or is that just wishful thinking...), one stop of ISO improvement would be nice, two will be awesome, anything more and all those "OMG D800" campers will sell their new D800s and return to the fold.... ::)

Upvote 0
that - for now at least

This comment I think taken on its own is just an indication of the on going back and forth between Canon/Nikon; and that it's not a question of if Canon will respond, but when.

almost as if something likely to test the quality of its existing versions was in the offing.

Since the release of the three new lenses at least a poster or two here on CR have speculated on this very point, so this statement isn't a major revelation.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just playing devils advocate and looking at the comments by themselves for a second.

However, when you put these two comments together as you have and factor in that they came from DPR on the same day, and add in that CR has heard information about a high MP camera to be released this year, well yes I think you might be on to something. The big question in my mind is, is this new high MP camera the 5DIII or something else?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.