What's the consensus on R6 upgrade to Mark II?

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I've been using an R6 pretty heavily for more than two years and I'm starting to think about getting a backup body. I have an R10 to use in an emergency, but I want a second body that is similar to my main camera. Should I just get another R6 Mark I or pay a bit more for a Mark II. I'm just shooting stills... lots and lots of stills. I'm happy with the 20 Megapixel sensor.

I understand the autofocus is unchanged, which is fine. Is there any difference in dynamic range or some other aspect of image quality? Any new features that you love?

Thanks for sharing!

Dr. Mike

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Brian, from The Digital Picture, has an excellent detailed review of the R6 II:

Canon-EOS-R6-Mark-II.aspx

He does a specific comparison with the R6, and finds lots of advantages, especially in the the AF, which gets the software algorithms from the R3, while lacking that camera's BSI sensor. So, I think the AF is clearly superior to the R6. He comes down heavily overall on the side of the R6 II, even with the price discount at the moment for the R6.

But, frankly, if you really like your current R6, why not save some $s and get a 2nd body you can set up identically to your other one?

Edit: or have you thought about the R8, which is really a smaller, lighter, cut-down version of the R6 II, but with the same sensor, and pretty much identical AF? At a lot less $s.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
@drmikeinpdx,
The R62 brings some significant improvements over the mkI. The additional cost is well worth the enhancements to the camera's software, AF and increased resolution, even if it's only 4MP. It does what the R6 did so much better. I know you said 20MP works for you. I was not a fan of the mkI as I was not willing to part ways with the additional 6MP I had on my 6D2. MP's aren't everything, but if you want to crop in post even a little, there just isn't as much there to do it with on the mkI. It's mirrorless and takes nice photos, but the mkII gets the modest bumps in several key areas making it a much better long-term investment between the two. Even as a B-Cam. The mkII has focus-breathing correction also. Another differentiator for that $500

@Jethro's R8 suggestion is also good, if it aligns with your use cases. Canon clearly realized 24 not 20 was the real sweet spot. Yes, I am slightly hung up on resolution but this is because my primary interest is in landscapes and architecture. Its a matter of preference. If the mkII was $1000 extra dollars that might be one thing, but for $500 it doesn't even require a second thought. Throw a lens on it and use both.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I own an R6, not a Mark II. But if I were purchasing another camera, I'd jump on the Mark II even though most of the new features are video-oriented. With there only being a $500 price difference, I think I'd regret not having the latest and greatest AF and other features. Not to mention, the R6 Mark II will likely be getting additional features in the future via firmware updates. The R6 is probably done with that.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I wanted a backup body to go with my R6 and thought about just getting another R6 since the prices have come down. After debating with myself for a month, I decided to go with the R6 Mark II. It wasn't available online, so drove to a local pro camera store to pick it up, just like in the old days. Unfortunately, I also got to see how nasty some parts of Portland look these days.

I've only done a single two hour photoshoot with a model, but I can already say that I'm impressed with the autofocus upgrade. I use eye tracking/servo a lot. The Mark II finds the eye faster and sticks to it better in all lighting conditions. That's exactly what I was hoping for.

Since I don't need large files, I decided to try using C-RAW with this new body. I think the images look great. My only complaint is that the camera won't save both RAW and C-RAW. I've had to choose C-RAW and JPG, but I think I can live with that.

Upvote 0