Whats the possibility or likely hood of either a cinema upgrade to the R5 or a cinema version with cooling.

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The camera is getting slammed by many for the heating issues and Canon expected this. This release is very Un-Canon-like, they were always known for reliability and won't add features if they dont work properly or with compromises in operation. A lot of canon users want a small body for serious video work but with high quality features. Who thinks that Canon might have another version in the near future that sacrifices the weather sealing for cooler internals. It makes sense to me to do that. I call it the EOS R5C. Canon you better pay me if you use this name.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The camera is getting slammed by many for the heating issues and Canon expected this. This release is very Un-Canon-like, they were always known for reliability and won't add features if they dont work properly or with compromises in operation. A lot of canon users want a small body for serious video work but with high quality features. Who thinks that Canon might have another version in the near future that sacrifices the weather sealing for cooler internals. It makes sense to me to do that. I call it the EOS R5C. Canon you better pay me if you use this name.

The 7D had similar heating issues when it was used as a video production camera. Production companies dealt with it by keeping multiple copies (3-4) of the body in rotation. In production environments under "hot lights', even the 5D Mark II had to be rotated using multiple bodies when used as a primary production camera (such as with some episodes of the TV series "House").

Canon is known for reliably delivering what they promise. They've always been more up front about what limitations their cameras may have in specific scenarios, and such cameras almost always deliver more than Canon promises in such scenarios, not less.

Canon has made it very clear that the R5 is not intended as a primary "A" camera for productions that require extended shooting intervals. It's meant to be a supplemental camera in such scenarios, for use as a "B" roll camera (which doesn't need to be able to record indefinitely), or as a specialized slow motion/special effects camera (which, again, does not require being able to record indefinitely), or as one for shots with tight space constraints (which again don't normally last for extended time periods).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The 7D had similar heating issues when it was used as a video production camera. Production companies dealt with it by keeping multiple copies (3-4) of the body in rotation. In production environments under "hot lights', even the 5D Mark II had to be rotated using multiple bodies when used as a primary production camera (such as with some episodes of the TV series "House").

Canon is known for reliably delivering what they promise. They've always been more up front about what limitations their cameras may have in specific scenarios, and such cameras almost always deliver more than Canon promises in such scenarios, not less.

Canon has made it very clear that the R5 is not intended as a primary "A" camera for productions that require extended shooting intervals. It's meant to be a supplemental camera in such scenarios, for use as a "B" roll camera (which doesn't need to be able to record indefinitely), or as a specialized slow motion/special effects camera (which, again, does not require being able to record indefinitely), or as one for shots with tight space constraints (which again don't normally last for extended time periods).
7D is like a dinosaur now. Cameras overheating in 2020 forward man. Really? If it was just the 8K, thats fine, but every mode outside of the usual modes the cameras been had. 4k 60 overheating?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
7D is like a dinosaur now. Cameras overheating in 2020 forward man. Really? If it was just the 8K, thats fine, but every mode outside of the usual modes the cameras been had. 4k 60 overheating?

You act like no Canon camera has ever had heat limitations before. That is simply not the case, historically.

As I said before, Canon is known for reliably delivering what they promise.

They're not known for selling Rolls-Royce features at a Toyota, or even an Audi, price point.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
You act like no Canon camera has ever had heat limitations before. That is simply not the case, historically.

As I said before, Canon is known for reliably delivering what they promise.

They're not known for selling Rolls-Royce features at a Toyota, or even an Audi, price point.

I find it amazing at what you get for the price. For the intended market, I see no issue with overheating, and a real production company is going to use several cameras, not try to use one for extended periods.

Is there a complete 8K FF camera that shoots indefinitely at this price?

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Cameras overheating in 2020 forward man. Really?
Sonys still do - they just tweaked the firmware to take longer to react to it.

Panasonic's S1 flagship overheats too, as reflected in the camera manual:
"*2 Maximum 15 minutes in 4K60p and unlimited recording time in Full HD until the SD Memory Card becomes full or the battery runs out.
*3 Maximum 29 minutes 59 seconds in 4K60p until the SD Memory Card becomes full or the battery runs out.
When the ambient temperature is high or continuous recording is performed, the camera may stop the recording to protect itself. Wait until the camera cools down (*2*3).
Camera manufacturers have little influence over the laws of physics, it would seem.

Who knew?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[...] A lot of canon users want a small body for serious video work but with high quality features. Who thinks that Canon might have another version in the near future that sacrifices the weather sealing for cooler internals. [...]
A serious video camera for serious video work will not be physically small. That is why serious users rig the body: add cage, add rails, add follow focus, add audio, add monitor, add recorder and the battery always resides outside the body. In serious video work, the camera body is only a piece of the video gear. All said, serious users also know how to deal with the limitations of their gear, being heat, disk capacity, battery life, lenses, network bandwidth, etc., and build their workflow considering those limitations.
If serious means having a camera that the user sets and forgets it, there you have a Go-Pro. R5/R6 are not built for and will not suit that use-case. Perhaps something like a ZCAM body with R5/R6 features could be possible but Canon already has better than that in its cinema line.

• Love
Upvote 0
I can remember a Sony camera that almost burned my hands.
I think Canon has done well compared to many other cameras.
It's just the Canon haters trying something, anything, to knock Canon.
The R5 and R6 are going to shake up the camera market.
A bit like complaining that CO2 is choking us, when it only makes up 4/100th of 1% of the atmosphere, and plants have got to have something to breathe.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

I suspect that an EF to RF adaptor with an active cooling fan will be launched by either Canon or a third party manufacturer very soon. That is all.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I find it amazing at what you get for the price. For the intended market, I see no issue with overheating, and a real production company is going to use several cameras, not try to use one for extended periods.

Is there a complete 8K FF camera that shoots indefinitely at this price?

Please take my previous comment in the context of a reply to RV360's comment. You're not going to get an "A" grade camera with active cooling at below a "C" grade price, just like you're not going to get a DigiSuper 100 at an EF 28-300mm price.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
They do. They are called Canon 'Cinema' cameras. Usually designated by a 'C'. Not and 'R'

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Attenborough’s next nature series, The White Planet, will be shot in Antarctica using the R5. The camera team will not need hand warmers, and the final scene will illustrate global warming with a single R5 melting a whole ice sheet.
Naaahhh.. In the cold, the battery will go flat too quickly.

You'll be telling us next that sensible users should take appropriate mitigation measures, like taking extra batteries...

Upvote 0
Attenborough’s next nature series, The White Planet, will be shot in Antarctica using the R5. The camera team will not need hand warmers, and the final scene will illustrate global warming with a single R5 melting a whole ice sheet.
But on the way to Antarctica if they use the camera to sneaks a couple of selfie shots with the crew, the camera will heat up so bad that it will perpetually show zero video record time and they will never get the chance to shoot the video. :p

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
It will be called EOS C700 Mark II, and will cost accordingly. That will be very Canon-like.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That sounds a bit like this:

View attachment 191564
It's actually logical and scientifically sound that a battery can warm itself up by doing work and becoming more efficient. A petrol (gas) or diesel engine is very inefficient when cold and does very few miles per filling of a tank but it heats itself up and becomes more efficient so a tankfull lasts much longer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0