When and where did you order your R5 and when did it arrive?

It may be interesting to watch the progess as future orders start to get filled.

I was slightly snookered by the Canon store website. I was poking around there on 8/25/20 while still not sure I was ready to by this year. When I saw the "In Stock" status, I bit and entered an order. I immediatly received an email showing that it was on back order. So I called to talk to a human and while I was on hold the website was updated to show back order. Since the price has been the same everywhere I looked (except gougers on ebay), I left my order standing. The agent on the phone said I would receive an email when it was shipped but there would be no other communcation about it. (no eta).

I ordered mine on the day it was released during the rollout from B&H and got it on August 3rd. I ordered the 100-500 on 8/6 from B&H and it never came in. Adorama has them in stock as of a few minutes ago and I canceled my B&H order and bought one from Adorama. With their credit card, you save 5% which almost paid the sales tax.

Upvote 0

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
Somebody started a tracker spreadsheet in an older thread here, but I don't think it has been kept up to date. From what I can tell though, Canon fulfilled a lot, but certainly not all of their early pre-orders through their direct store. If you didn't order in the first hour from B&H or Amazon you're still waiting. Everything else is very much a mixed bag. Some people have gotten lucky through brick and mortar stores. Most are still waiting.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Walked into my brick and mortar and ordered it on June 18 (yes, June). Got it the first day. (They called me the day before and said they had it but couldn't give it to me until the next day, which I certainly understood.)

It's quite possible I was the first person in my county to get one, but unfortunately the other guy who ordered early showed up right after I did and already owned LPE6 type batteries so he probably got to take pictures before I did. (I had to charge the one that came with the camera!)

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
It may be interesting to watch the progess as future orders start to get filled.

I was slightly snookered by the Canon store website. I was poking around there on 8/25/20 while still not sure I was ready to by this year. When I saw the "In Stock" status, I bit and entered an order. .........

Me too, September 21. And since then, it has shown up as "in stock" for literally a few moments, now and then. Mine? Still backordered.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Now, as I finally have a gig lined up, and I'm getting impatient, a question keeps nagging me...Did Canon announce prematurely, before they had a proper first run ready to ship? Is it really logistical and production problems only? I wonder how many they sold in the first round, and how that number compares to previous new releases--the 5DIV, as an example. (Though I know mirrorless is still new territory for Canon and customers.)

Ok, just grumbling. I do have an R, and I do have an 80D (and fortunately a few ef/ef-s lenses to go with it). But I've gotten used to having two FF for events. Spoiled, I know, but I'm so slow changing lenses, I've just come to depend on two.

Upvote 0
I’m amazed that you all are getting your BH orders filled. I ordered mine on 7/24 (body only with extra battery and Ef adapter) and received the adapter last week and the battery two weeks ago. Still haven’t shipped the actual camera. This is my first time ordering with them, so I feel like something is wrong with my order 2856CA7C-DED3-4993-BB75-D3027F43351B.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’m amazed that you all are getting your BH orders filled. I ordered mine on 7/24 (body only with extra battery and Ef adapter) and received the adapter last week and the battery two weeks ago. Still haven’t shipped the actual camera. This is my first time ordering with them, so I feel like something is wrong with my order
Same here, I ordered 8/3 still on backorder. Started seeing some comments about dates ordered and dates received which lead me here where I found out a few people who've ordered in September have already received theirs AND with $200 off! I waited all week to call B&H this morning only to be told my issues would be emailed to a supervisor.

Upvote 0