Where is Canon headed?

sanj said:
If you think it makes your, a seasoned photographer's head hurt, imagine the plight of the normal people.
Too too many models. I agree.

If you look at the "normal" market though things don't look like they will change much or indeed have changed much in the last couple of years. The only real change has been offering a Rebel with some extra controls and a second cheaper EF-S UWA and a pancake prime.

Its the "Seasoned" or pro market that's being targeted with more specific products, likely because Canon believe there is a better return here as photographers are more likely to have specific needs and also more likely to want extra performance.

Upvote 0
Sometime I use to listen to an English-speaking Photography podcast to improve both my English and my technique.

In an episode, they mentioned a poll about "which camera brand will you buy next?".
The results are interesting:
Nikon & Canon: 25-24%
Sony: 16%
Fuji: 15%
Olympus: 12%
Others: ...

http://photofocus.com/2015/02/07/question-of-the-week-which-brand-camera-will-you-buy-next/

Understanding the results is a bit more complicated.
Are Canon and Nikon doomed as it seems?
I think that the audience of Photofocus is more advanced than most of the "former-point-and-shooters".

The market share related to the first time DSLR/Mirrorless isn't - in my opinion - reflected by the pool, so we can expect that Canon's and Nikon's market share will not tend to reduce in the short - medium term.

But one of the interest thing that I understand is that many expert Canon and Nikon shooters will experiment a Fuji body.
Many of them won't switch completely, they'll probably adopt a "two sistems" approach...

What do you fellow guys of Canonrumors think of this poll?

Attachments

• Schermata 2015-05-09 alle 11.52.54.png
    Schermata 2015-05-09 alle 11.52.54.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,056
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
JohanCruyff said:

I don't care at all. Camera buying is not a sport where I root for a favorite team. If more people buy Sonys or Nikons, why should that matter one bit in my life? What difference does it make if Nikon or Canon or Sony is selling the most cameras? If Canon were in "10th place" would it matter?

As long as the camera I have works well, then I am satisfied. As long as Canon doesn't go out of business when I am ready for my next camera (should I choose a Canon in the future because I have Canon lenses) then I don't care if they are 1st or 10th.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Having said that take a second to look at it from the perspective of Canon, for the second time in a week in just 24 hours Best Digital have sold nearly 200 1DX's at $3,999, that is over $752,000 per sale, how many Rebels do they have to make and sell to get that, 2,000 or more! Compared to the 438 7D MkII's that brought in just $525,000.

eBay doesn't make it easy to see this, but they've actually sold around 200 1DX's in about one year, not 24 hours. If you look at the listing revisions, it's been an active listing since May 2014 - they just move the price up and down:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&item=151303034199

Jason

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
ritholtz said:
It is only confusing for experience users. For simple users, it is just a rebel.

Except that for an experienced user it's not confusing, unless you're the type of person who buys $3,000 cameras on impulse and without reading the label, but that person will just have one of each anyway.
(I can just imagine a billionare buying all of Canon's new cameras next year and walking away praising the 6D2 as "the best" because it's the lightest and the only one with wi-fi.)

Upvote 0
JohanCruyff said:
Sometime I use to listen to an English-speaking Photography podcast to improve both my English and my technique.

In an episode, they mentioned a poll about "which camera brand will you buy next?".
The results are interesting:
Nikon & Canon: 25-24%
Sony: 16%
Fuji: 15%
Olympus: 12%
Others: ...

http://photofocus.com/2015/02/07/question-of-the-week-which-brand-camera-will-you-buy-next/

Understanding the results is a bit more complicated.
Are Canon and Nikon doomed as it seems?
I think that the audience of Photofocus is more advanced than most of the "former-point-and-shooters".

The market share related to the first time DSLR/Mirrorless isn't - in my opinion - reflected by the pool, so we can expect that Canon's and Nikon's market share will not tend to reduce in the short - medium term.

But one of the interest thing that I understand is that many expert Canon and Nikon shooters will experiment a Fuji body.
Many of them won't switch completely, they'll probably adopt a "two sistems" approach...

The poll is like most other information found on the Internet: don't base your decisions on it.

Where is Canon headed? I can only use my limited personal experience and that of people I know who have bought into Canon gear. The stats are

Person A with T2i - camera functions as expected
Me with T3i - camera functions as expected
Person B with T4i - camera required warranty repairs for defects
Me with 7D2 - camera has focus issues
Person A with 70D - camera has focus issues

This is not a troll post but would I spend 4 grand on a new canon body? NO
As far as I can tell Canon's QA does not live up to the claims in the hardware advertisements. It seems the newer the hardware the more likely you are to have problems.
This is just my opinion. You may or may not have a different opinion.

Rod

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
As far as "too many" models. Read any thread on this site. The same message is repeated over and over again by the whiners: "Canon isn't making the perfect camera for me."
Not only are there a lot of topics saying that, but I wonder if the reducing number of topics on this site are a symptom of that too. When you look at the forum stats, you see: -

Total new topics for 2012 8719
Total new topics for 2013 6244
Total new topics for 2014 4921
Total new topics for 2015 YTD 1510 (approx 4240 when extrapolated out to end of year)

To me, that suggests a noticeable number of people might have already moved on to other cameras that are closer to what they want. It also suggests a reduced level of excitement in Canon products. (Of course, it could also just mean that Neuro and co have educated us all and there's nothing new to learn.)

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
I really don't think that the following is too many pro cameras

1DX2 at 25MP - ultimate Sports/wildlife action
5D4 at 28MP - general purpose camera
5D4C at 18MP - movie only? should this be on the list
5DS/SR at 50MP - for those who need BIG images in good light
6D2 at 28MP - prosumer general purpose camera
7D2 at 20MP - prosumer wildlife action

Only thing missing is ultra high MP in 1D body. 5Ds/sR serve this purpose but not in the 1D series body.

Not sure if the 6D2 should be on the list, just as 80D is removed, perhaps the 6D2 should be omitted.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
LookingThroughMyLens81 said:
I don't know where Canon is headed, except that they are focusing more on Professional-grade products to sell to the Pro market. In the Consumer market, Canon has pretty much been coasting on the Digital Rebel line, which was once ground-breaking, but now old and stagnant. I'm thinking about selling all my Canon gear and buying into another camera brand that is more innovative, higher-performing, and user-friendly, like Pentax, Samsung, or Sony. Canon is just set in their way of thinking and the way they do things hasn't paid off for them lately.

Great, don't talk about it just do it, if another brand will work better for you why should anybody, including Canon, care? Canon are not in the market to make a camera for you, they are in the market to make money for their shareholders, and as far as DSLR manufacturers go they do a pretty good job of it.

Personally I have no problem with Canon focusing on the pro market with $2-3,000 lenses and $3-7,000 bodies, but I well understand if you and many others do. Having said that take a second to look at it from the perspective of Canon, for the second time in a week in just 24 hours Best Digital have sold nearly 200 1DX's at $3,999, that is over $752,000 per sale, how many Rebels do they have to make and sell to get that, 2,000 or more! Compared to the 438 7D MkII's that brought in just $525,000.

And I'd wager that Canon Japan are not getting less ¥ back for those 'discounted' 1DX's than they would if they came via the USA importer and dealer with their inevitable markups, all due to the vagaries of currency fluctuations the purposefully devalued ¥ and the comparatively strong US$.

Attachments

• canongrowth.PNG
    canongrowth.PNG
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,385
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
See the dividend history ratings?

In a shrinking market that has recently ballooned and is now deflating from a tech advancement (digital cameras) maintaining an 'Excellent' dividend record is difficult, do that in one of the strongest recessions in world history while selling non essential luxury consumer goods and it looks like a remarkable performance to me, besides, I did say "as far as DSLR manufacturers go", I wasn't talking out of control and corrupt banks. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 4.24.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 4.24.08 PM.png
    182.5 KB · Views: 1,348
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 4.24.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 4.24.28 PM.png
    317.8 KB · Views: 216
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Tugela said:
"Where is Canon headed?"

Simple......

Drain-Cleaning.jpg

;)

Is that the short cut to the bank? ;D

Upvote 0
I was thinking about the electronics I own now vs when I was younger...
I used to own cutting edge stuff. It was powerful and pretty inexpensive and pre-job and kids I would spend hours getting the most out of it. It took a fair amount of work and tweeking but it was great. Now I have very good equIpment but not cutting edge. I pay a premium for it to just work. I want it to do what I need consistently and work well with all my other electronics. I don't have time for equipment that does one thing one day and something completely differently the next. Of course I'm talking about computers but I think cameras are pretty similar. I could buy a combination of Sony and canon etc to get all the newest tech. Presumably if I had time I could make it do amazing things. However, I need my camera gear to "just work." I want consistency and resilience so I can get the shot I want. Rarely do I have hours to get the perfect shot.

So I shoot canon. Great equipment though maybe not the absolute cutting edge but it always works.

I know that I'm going to get responses about how cutting edge canon is...I think they are innovative but not the cutting edge. They wait until the tech works consistently before selling it. Which I appreciate.

Oh could I please have another couple stops of low noise at high ISO. 12800 would be great. I keep finding myself at poorly lit night soccer games. I've got the 300 2.8 but it's pretty dark.

So maybe that is where canon is going. It has worked well for Apple over the last decade.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
lux said:
...I need my camera gear to "just work." I want consistency and resilience so I can get the shot I want. Rarely do I have hours to get the perfect shot...
So I shoot canon.

I am in a very similar position. I bought a 5D about a year and a half ago. At the time I was only shooting for myself and for the occasional friend, family member, etc., that needed portraits and couldn't afford to hire someone. (A lot of work for starving young actors and actresses in need of headshots).

Anyway, I loved the 5DIII, but candidly there wasn't much I did with it that I couldn't have done with my 7D.

Then, six months ago, I retired from one job (managing a communications staff, but not doing much photography myself) and began a new job working for a very small public relations firm. I quickly became the sole photographer. The assignments are nothing very exciting -- lots of meetings, often with elected officials and our clients. Invariably, they are in dark rooms. I must blend in, so no flash and always silent shooting. When you are shooting for someone else, the conditions don't matter and you can't control them. But, if your client has been given a meeting with the Governor or a Congressman, you had better bring back the picture anyway.

Thank God I have the 5DIII. I am living at 6400 or even higher. And...it just works. Maybe some people don't consider that innovation. But, whatever you call it...I hope they just keep doing the same.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
RGF said:
1DX2 at 25MP - ultimate Sports/wildlife action

25MP won't be enough to reclaim that title for the 1DX2.

The current model only puts as many pixels on an APS-H-sized target as a 1D3. Yes, they are lower-noise pixels but when you're focal-length-limited with a 600mm and 2x extender, it's still not enough resolution compared to the old 1D4 or the 7D2.

A 25 MP 1DX2 still won't match pixels-on-duck delivered by those two cameras. Superb autofocus isn't much help if you have to crop like mad afterwards to extract something from the middle of the frame.

And it won't give enough resolution for former users of 1Ds3 who will be looking at the 5DS.

Frankly I don't know where the 1D series is headed, it just seems to be disappearing up its own lens-mount. My 1D4 replacement is likely to be from the 7D series.

Upvote 0
martti said:
Canon is heading and well on the way to 2030 and further.
No pampered pixel peeper can stop them...it is a major company wchich is run like a business. Lots of resources there in finances and research. Just stay put.

Sony vs Canon over the past 12 months...looks like the times they are a'changin'.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 10.50.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 10.50.58 PM.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 221
Upvote 0