which Canon crop-DSLR has best low-light noise at ISO 1600 ?

I have a 600D and 700D ( T3i, T5i ) and occasionnally shoot northern lights with fast lenses ( Tokina 11-16/2.8 , Rokinon 16mm/2.0 , EF 50/1.4 ) . I know that EOS 6D and 5D2 are much better for low-light, but they are too expensive for me, so ... So I wonder which is the crop-DSLR that would have the best results specifically in low-light / night photography at ISO 1600 ? Which among these 4 cameras results in the least 'noise' when shooting at ISO 1600 ?

700D (T5i )
750D (T6i )
760D (T6s)
70D
80D

normally I would think the newest, the 80D, would get the best results.... but is that really so ?

and second question : if I had to choose only between 700, 750, 760, 70D ( not including the 80D ), which one would be better ? Is the older 70D better than the newer 760D when shooting at night in 1600 ISO ?

THANKS for your time and comments.

The 80d is brand new and not much testing has been done yet. From the little bit of testing we can get our hands on, it looks like the best by a decent margin.

The 80 is also the most expensive of your choices. The 6d is only 200$ more, yes, but that means buying new, more expensive glass. (The 6d note is not directed at OP, but knowing this forum, half of the crowd will say to upgrade to full frame)

The t6s or i will be the next best, but perhaps not substantially better than the 70d. The 750d and 760d have exactly the same sensor.

In your shoes if iq was priority I'd be looking hard at the 80D- saving my pennies, and waiting for more testing

Upvote 0
thetechhimself said:
lw said:
thetechhimself said:
80D is an unknown (we'll have to wait for benchmarks), it uses the same sensor as the T6i/T6s, but, has an inclusion of on chip analog to digital converter
The 80D also uses a Dual-Pixel sensor - so its quite a different sensor really...
Yes and no (it is a different design, on the same die, so yes a different chip, but same lithography); same frame size (APS-C), same pixel count (24MP) and roughly the same revision, IE 2015 24MP APS-C...

Canon is known for redoing on chip AF between same die's, think 18MP APS-C only a few years ago. T2i/T3i/60D IE CDAF, T4i/EOS M IE Hybrid CMOS AF, T5i/SL1/EOS M2 IE Hybrid CMOS AF II. All had (virtually; within manufacturing variance) identical ISO performance coming off the chip itself, as DIGIC evolved there was some better noise algorithms applied, but same RAW performance coming off the chip itself.
Disagree. The 80D has a CMOS sensor absolutely different from T6i / T6s. The Dual Pixel AF system could never be added to the sensor 24 megapixel existing because it uses two additional microlenses, in addition to green, red and blue. There is also the whole electrical part of the Dual Pixel AF, which could not be added without completely redoing the sensor.
On the other hand, the Hybrid CMOS AF system has been added to existing 18 megapixel sensor, causing small "holes" in CMOS, which are concealed by interpolation of neighboring pixels.

Upvote 0
zim said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Among the models mentioned, 80D has the best image in ISO1600. But the leader in this class is still the 7D Mark II.
Is it?
Thought 80D and 1Dx2 were the first to have on chip what's its that make for less noise across the iso range in general?
The AD converter in the chip improves performance in LOW ISO to decrease the read noise. But no benefit in HIGH ISO, where the read noise is negligible. The improvements in dynamic range at ISO100 of 1DX Mark ii, are due to AD converter on the chip, but high ISO was due to other factors.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
zim said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Among the models mentioned, 80D has the best image in ISO1600. But the leader in this class is still the 7D Mark II.

Is it?
Thought 80D and 1Dx2 were the first to have on chip what's its that make for less noise across the iso range in general?

This is one of the most technical reviews I have read and while I don't understand most of it it seems extremely thorough looking at all aspects of sensor performance and noise. His speciality is night photography and he rates 7D2 as one of the best
The performance is so exceptional it is a game changing camera in the Canon lineup.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
thetechhimself said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
thetechhimself said:
lw said:
thetechhimself said:
80D is an unknown (we'll have to wait for benchmarks), it uses the same sensor as the T6i/T6s, but, has an inclusion of on chip analog to digital converter
The 80D also uses a Dual-Pixel sensor - so its quite a different sensor really...
Yes and no (it is a different design, on the same die, so yes a different chip, but same lithography); same frame size (APS-C), same pixel count (24MP) and roughly the same revision, IE 2015 24MP APS-C...

Canon is known for redoing on chip AF between same die's, think 18MP APS-C only a few years ago. T2i/T3i/60D IE CDAF, T4i/EOS M IE Hybrid CMOS AF, T5i/SL1/EOS M2 IE Hybrid CMOS AF II. All had (virtually; within manufacturing variance) identical ISO performance coming off the chip itself, as DIGIC evolved there was some better noise algorithms applied, but same RAW performance coming off the chip itself.
Disagree. The 80D has a CMOS sensor absolutely different from T6i / T6s. The Dual Pixel AF system could never be added to the sensor 24 megapixel existing because it uses two additional microlenses, in addition to green, red and blue. There is also the whole electrical part of the Dual Pixel AF, which could not be added without completely redoing the sensor.
On the other hand, the Hybrid CMOS AF system has been added to existing 18 megapixel sensor, causing small "holes" in CMOS, which are concealed by interpolation of neighboring pixels.

Just look at the DXO for the 70D vs the T5i; although it's a newer lithography, and additional 2MP, the ISO improvement is roughly 1/3 stop, which is attributed more to the 2MP gain, not Dual Pixel; you can expect the same results, IE same megapixel and mount, adding Dual pixel should have nill impact on ISO.

Of course, but ajfotofilmagem's point was that 80D and T6x use entirely different sensors.

80D has dual photodiodes per photosite and all the associated PDAF readout electronics. If T6x does not (and who knows, maybe the DPAF functionality is merely disabled, like with the C100 at release), ajfotofilmagem is correct.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Mikehit said:
zim said:
ajfotofilmagem said:

Is it?

This is one of the most technical reviews I have read and while I don't understand most of it it seems extremely thorough looking at all aspects of sensor performance and noise. His speciality is night photography and he rates 7D2 as one of the best
The performance is so exceptional it is a game changing camera in the Canon lineup.

Beware when reading this stuff. No one on here actually has information as to the manufacturing techniques of the sensor, so its all based on a guess.

Once chipworks strips the sensor down and checks it, we might even see the word Sony on the lithography, but they have taken to leaving their name off some recent production. Only if someone actually has inside information, or does a analysis can we know for sure.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Beware when reading this stuff. No one on here actually has information as to the manufacturing techniques of the sensor, so its all based on a guess.

Once chipworks strips the sensor down and checks it, we might even see the word Sony on the lithography, but they have taken to leaving their name off some recent production. Only if someone actually has inside information, or does a analysis can we know for sure.

I can't see why the manufacturing techniques are relevant. He is testing the camera so does it matter where it is made and by whom? The fact is he finds the 7D2 an extremely good piece of kit.

But on the sensor issue, Canon have always denied ever using anyone else's sensors in their DSLRs (much to the chagrin of those who eye Nikon jealously). And Nikon have (until recently) seemed to get more out of the Sony sensors than Sony did themselves.

Upvote 0