Which photographers do you admire or are influenced by?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paul13walnut5

I picked up a camera because I was interested in the power of photography. I became interested in gear, but really a great image interests me more than a great new innovation.

I've listed a few photographers who's work I admire, would be interested to see who other forum users list.

http://www.martinparr.com/ I admire his cheeky, punchy, observational images. Divisive. To me he is the photographic equivalent of Nick Broomfield or Jonathan Meades.

http://www.oscarmarzaroli.com/ Some of the best known images of Glasgow old meeting Glasgow new (well, then, new) from the old industries and slums to the brave new world of motorways through the heart of the city.
Not a photographer of exceptional vision or talent imho, but he documented a place I know well and love at a time before I could know it.

http://www.rockarchive.com/jill-furmanovsky-photographer.html She documented most of my musical heroes. On stage but also around the bands, personal and intimate. Off-guard. Part of my thinks i should judge such musical heroes on their music, part of me wants to know a bit about them, and that part of me seeks out the images of Jill Furmanovsky.

http://www.colinprior.co.uk/portfolio/ When I dabble in landscape I try to pick a spot that Colin hasn't been to. He sets the benchmark in Scottish landscapes. Nobody else's work will measure up for a given location. His work was over-franchised a few years ago, and the camera club crew seem to want to replicate his every shot (a compliment) but the quality and craft endures. I try (without any great success) to learn from his approach but would never tackle one of his subjects, except for fun.

We already had the discussion about Colin Prior some time ago..... Being that I love Scotland's scenery and admire Colin Prior's dedication, he is certainly somebody I admire. I picked up 'High Light' some time ago and some of those images are just magical, as indeed is the place. As you also mentioned back then, Joe Cornish is another worthy of admiration, I didn't realise until I just looked that he was born in my hometown of Exeter! I bought his book on Scotland's Mountains a couple years back. Being that landscape is my main area of interest, I haven't looked much in other fields, although I've seen and been impressed by wildlife photographers such as Laurie Campbell, Chris Packham etc...

Upvote 0

mm

Feb 15, 2013
I have to go with Helmut Newton.

Although he worked in a feild of superstar photographers, in my opinion, he did something new. Although he was a product of his times and his culture, he pushed the eroticism of fashion photography, and of portrait photography itself (the lense being the ultimate voyeur and all) to the fore like nobody else. He was successful at making his art become something shocking and aggressive, yet desired by many.

Not satisfied to be simply a rebel and break the rules, he was more of a revolutionary and changed the rules for everyone.

Upvote 0
There are SO many great photographers and people making outstanding images these days. It's really overwhelming.

I'd certainly second the Martin Parr nomination. He's a sure favorite for me.

Most inspiration for me comes from the Depression era photographers -- Dorothea Lange, Walker Evans, etc. Through faces, circumstances, gestures, postures, etc. they were able to communicate the emotions of a world gone awry.

Then Robert Frank came along with The Americans, and I love his work.

In the same ilk was the recently discovered Vivian Maier. Some of her stuff so far is worth looking at.

Currently, I'm taken with Jessica Todd Harper:

http://www.jessicatoddharper.com/

She published some of her work in the book Interior Exposure. And her images do just that -- expose (or at least suggest) the interior, the mind and spirit behind the human facade. She adds the depth of personal intimacy to what I try to capture in individuals. But then she has an unfair advantage as she gets to use her family and their relationships.

Anyway, that's what's happening at this time. All is subject to change at any moment!

And thanks for asking.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
I'm guilty of having 3 Colin Prior prints on my walls but the more I look at them the more I feel good landscape photography is "simply" having patience to wait for the right light. Nice if you have the freedom to wait for days at a time but for the rest of us it's a case of "I'm here now and have to move on shortly". Cue the hate mail to say I'm oversimplifying it ::)

Now portraits, that's the real trick. Who was it said a good portrait is worth three biographies? To capture the true character of a person (either well-known to only you or a megastar) is real photography.

Grab yourself books from these people for inspiration:

Yousuf Karsh
Anton Corbijn
Patrick Demarchelier
Jeanloup Seiff
Herb Ritts
Andy Gotts
Uli Weber
Ross Halfin

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.