Which TC for 500mm lens?

Hi!

I decided yesterday to buy the Canon 500mm 4 L IS II lens and placed my order.
I will like to buy an teleconverter too.
Should I buy the Original Canon 1.4x III, or the Sigma APO Telekonverter 1,4x EX DG? I got the information, the Sigma will be as good as the Canon.
I found an test (http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/CompareTestProducts/187545K26570.html), where this info seems to be right. Do you use the Sigma teleconverter?

Best wishes to all
Daniela

Jul 21, 2010
daniela said:
Should I buy the Original Canon 1.4x III, or the Sigma APO Telekonverter 1,4x EX DG? I got the information, the Sigma will be as good as the Canon.
I found an test (http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/CompareTestProducts/187545K26570.html), where this info seems to be right.

I don't see a test, just a price/feature comparison. Were multiple aspects of optical performance tested – not just sharpness, but distortion, CA, etc.? Was AF performance tested?

You spent thousands of € on a lens, and are asking about saving a couple hundred € on a TC?

Get the Canon 1.4xIII.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
I have the 500mm f/4 and both Canon 1.4x III and 2x III. I'm very happy with the Canon 1.4x III when used with this lens. I have just a few dozen shots with the 2x and need to dial in the the AFMA. It does appear to be a usable combination, but the AF speed is greatly reduced. The 1.4x III is very speedy on the 500. Get the Canon.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
daniela said:
It was some mentioning from salesmen who think that the new Sigma TC performs better than the original Canon.

Perhaps the new Sigma TC does perform better than the Canon TC...in terms of retailer price markup. ;)

The local camera store pushes the third party lenses and Nikon over Canon. They carry a full line of both. When you go in the shop and ask about a specific range they grab a third party lens first and hand it. If you ask about a body they hand you a Nikon first. I became friends with one of the salesman and I asked him about this. The reason is markup and commission, selling Canon even at full MSRP they could make more off the other manufactures.

Go with the Canon 1.4x III.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
daniela said:
It was some mentioning from salesmen who think that the new Sigma TC performs better than the original Canon.

Perhaps the new Sigma TC does perform better than the Canon TC...in terms of retailer price markup. ;)

i haven't seen any in depth comparisons between the canon and new sigma tc's online. i have both sigmas and both canon tciii's. from what i can tell the 1.4x versions are about the same but i think the sigma 2001 is a bit better than the 2xiii.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
candc said:
neuroanatomist said:
daniela said:

i haven't seen any in depth comparisons between the canon and new sigma tc's online. i have both sigmas and both canon tciii's. from what i can tell the 1.4x versions are about the same but i think the sigma 2001 is a bit better than the 2xiii.

Does 'better' apply to AF also?

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
candc said:
neuroanatomist said:
daniela said:

the sigma is noticeably faster and the accuracy seems on par. i don't use the 2x converters much but i would suggest trying the sigma to someone that does.

Upvote 0
Hi Daniela!

I read the test, you set the link. It was in colorfoto magazine in 2012. There the Canon converters did not get an high rating. I am sorry, but I do not have this magazine anymore.

Traumflieger did some testing too:
http://www.traumflieger.de/objektivtest/open_test/telekonverter/overview.php
http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/telekonverter/telekonverter_canon3.php (Canon ii vs iii)

In my opinion, if you use this expensive lens outside and it could get e.g. wet, better stay with Canon.
In my local fotoclub, some use third party converters on non-expensive lenses and they are quite happy with them.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Interesting links. You lose about 10% of the MTF resolution with the 1.4xTC III and 23% with the 2xTC III. This is in line with the results from objektivtest.se at at 20 cycles/mm. At the APS-C level of 30 cycles/mm, you lose 20% and 40%, respectively. It would be interesting to see the higher frequency data for the Kenko and Sigma converters.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
candc said:
neuroanatomist said:
daniela said:

something that i picked up on from another thread is that the canon extenders firmware slows down af on all canon bodies except the 1dx. my experience with the sigma and canon tc's is non 1dx bodies so that may account for the faster af with the new sigma tc's. the canon tcs would be 1.4x and 2x faster on a 1dx apparently.

Upvote 0