Why did you switch to RF?

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
Autofocus was pretty much 70% of it. I don't care what anyone says, but being a photographer where I can't afford to swap out lens copies, or have the time to "align" lenses to different bodies, it was really the autofocus. As much as I loved DSLR's, if you shot a lot you know that sometimes no matter what you did the focus was slightly off. My R5 reinvigorated my passion for photography.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I switch to RF bodies to utilize my EF lens. I've too many old EF lenses that's not valuable in the 2nd hand market if I trade all of them in. Might as well keep using it until it breaks. V.good IBIS+excellent AF with old EF lens is unmatched.

I've Sony as well but Sony poor backward compatibility (those early E mount lens cannot use modern PDAF reliably), and Sony's constant stabbing at old customers is so much worse than Canon being slow on open to 3rd party.

Upvote 0

HeavyPiper

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 1, 2018
Oregon
I switch to RF bodies to utilize my EF lens. I've too many old EF lenses that's not valuable in the 2nd hand market if I trade all of them in. Might as well keep using it until it breaks. V.good IBIS+excellent AF with old EF lens is unmatched.
I too went with the same idea of being able to use my EF lens. I now have added 2 RF lens and only looking at one more (famous last words)

• Love
  • Haha
Upvote 0
I too went with the same idea of being able to use my EF lens. I now have added 2 RF lens and only looking at one more (famous last words)
I brought RF100-400 As I never have lenses beyond 200mm. I love that gem. Now I plan on getting RF800 f11 despite it's hated by the internet community. (Couldn't afford getting Nikon's Z8+600~800PF)

I've really bad experience using EF on NEX-6 a7ii a7Rii ZV-E10 and a1.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What was the bad experience?
I value AF a lot so most of the bad exp comes from AF related issues.
1. No PDAF in video, CDAF is possible but area is so small in the center, that makes it vlog only.
2. Poor compatibility. Whether is Metabones, Sigma MC-11 or Viltrox. Early EF, 3rd party EF, niche lenses are not working every so often. Even Sigma's EF are limited to the late EF-era lenses.
3. Continue from point 2. Adapting lens will give unreliable PDAF in AF-S & AF-C. Even with subject/face recognition on, it will jump to somewhere and lost AF ability at some point. Even casual shooting will cause you miss good moments.
4. As I mentioned before. The early E-mount APS-C lenses from all parties will not work well with latest Sony bodies. The pancake E 16mm f2.8, Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | Art e.t.c.... will end up only center AF zone available, or random pulsing. Those lenses are not more than 15years and it's already software limited by Sony. I couldn't imagine what will Sony cripple them 5years later.

With Canon, when your camera fails something there's some sort of error code appear for reference. For Sony, you don't...just getting blank dark screen.

One thing I have to praise Sony is they allow custom buttons to set APS-C mode with one button press only. My R6 still need to press and roll the wheel once to 1.6 crop mode.
I'm keeping my current Sony gear is because there's no complete replacement of 20G, 28-200, 200-600G in RF. Once Canon allows SigTam entry or provide equivalent lenses. I'll sell out my Sony gear. Losing the insignificant advantage dynamic range and Slog3 is acceptable.

Everyone bashes Canon for no 3rd party. Yet Canon retains strong compatibility for old EF lenses in stills are not appreciated enough. Using RF body with cheap EF lenses is super cost-effective. A lot of times are not about getting super sharp and flat colors for easier post-processing. SOOC when possible and getting those non-fuji film colors are nice.

Upvote 0
Maybe I am being silly but I have kept my EF system intact. And I added the RF system. There are overlaps of course but I do not trust the R series for birding 100%. I also got Nikon for that but I like my DSLRs and EF system to much to part with. Probably an economic mistake, except for the big whites (300II, 400DOII, 500II) which I use with adapter saving tens of thousands. I have sold some duplicate lenses (like EF 85 1.2 and EF 70-200 2.8 II) but I have kept other duplicates like superwide zooms and 24-70 2.8II. I have not sold my DSLRs but at least they are the latest models in their category (5D4, 5DsR, 90D).
Try R6ii or R3. They will amaze you how good the AF tracking is(with EF lens).

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I value AF a lot so most of the bad exp comes from AF related issues.
1. No PDAF in video, CDAF is possible but area is so small in the center, that makes it vlog only.
2. Poor compatibility. Whether is Metabones, Sigma MC-11 or Viltrox. Early EF, 3rd party EF, niche lenses are not working every so often. Even Sigma's EF are limited to the late EF-era lenses.
3. Continue from point 2. Adapting lens will give unreliable PDAF in AF-S & AF-C. Even with subject/face recognition on, it will jump to somewhere and lost AF ability at some point. Even casual shooting will cause you miss good moments.
4. As I mentioned before. The early E-mount APS-C lenses from all parties will not work well with latest Sony bodies. The pancake E 16mm f2.8, Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | Art e.t.c.... will end up only center AF zone available, or random pulsing. Those lenses are not more than 15years and it's already software limited by Sony. I couldn't imagine what will Sony cripple them 5years later.

With Canon, when your camera fails something there's some sort of error code appear for reference. For Sony, you don't...just getting blank dark screen.

One thing I have to praise Sony is they allow custom buttons to set APS-C mode with one button press only. My R6 still need to press and roll the wheel once to 1.6 crop mode.
I'm keeping my current Sony gear is because there's no complete replacement of 20G, 28-200, 200-600G in RF. Once Canon allows SigTam entry or provide equivalent lenses. I'll sell out my Sony gear. Losing the insignificant advantage dynamic range and Slog3 is acceptable.

Everyone bashes Canon for no 3rd party. Yet Canon retains strong compatibility for old EF lenses in stills are not appreciated enough. Using RF body with cheap EF lenses is super cost-effective. A lot of times are not about getting super sharp and flat colors for easier post-processing. SOOC when possible and getting those non-fuji film colors are nice.
Thanks for taking the time to type all that out.

I had read some similar things about adapting ef onto other mounts. As far as I recall, the people who don't mention any complaints either exhibit anti-canon-bias and / or, they avoid giving enough information about which lenses they tried on what cameras.

I wonder if by the time Canon allows third-party autofocus or releases their own versions of those lenses if dynamic range won't be caught up or (wishful thinking surpassed).

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I first decided to dip a toe in a few years back (think it was '19) when RP promos hit the sub-$1000 mark...got that with the 35 1.8 and ran that as a small alternative to the DSLR setup which was to continue to be my main.

Then the pandemic hit...I wasn't shooting for a while...when I finally started to get back into it, I found I was grabbing the RP more often. I then added the 85mm f2...then at that point I realized the RP was going to be more than just a "small" companion. I wanted something more, and prices for legacy Rs were falling with the R6s, R7s and R5s taking over...so I traded in the RP for a refurb R. I've found I've started to use that more at events over the 5D4 (mostly due to the flip screen and ease of live-view style shooting)...it's also allowing me to slowly pick up more native RF lenses to tailor to my use cases for it. That said, for nature shooting I've gone back to the DSLR (5DS) as I prefer its color output.

I'll likely continue to use a mix of both DSLR and MILC for many years to come at this point. It's good since I can utilize the strengths of each in a given situation.

My only thing is that I wish the R had a joystick. It's got most other things going for it, including *knock on wood* stability...haven't had a freeze yet...been hearing of folks with R5s and R6s having this experience, that has made me reluctant to go that route...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I first decided to dip a toe in a few years back (think it was '19) when RP promos hit the sub-$1000 mark...got that with the 35 1.8 and ran that as a small alternative to the DSLR setup which was to continue to be my main.

Then the pandemic hit...I wasn't shooting for a while...when I finally started to get back into it, I found I was grabbing the RP more often. I then added the 85mm f2...then at that point I realized the RP was going to be more than just a "small" companion. I wanted something more, and prices for legacy Rs were falling with the R6s, R7s and R5s taking over...so I traded in the RP for a refurb R. I've found I've started to use that more at events over the 5D4 (mostly due to the flip screen and ease of live-view style shooting)...it's also allowing me to slowly pick up more native RF lenses to tailor to my use cases for it. That said, for nature shooting I've gone back to the DSLR (5DS) as I prefer its color output.

I'll likely continue to use a mix of both DSLR and MILC for many years to come at this point. It's good since I can utilize the strengths of each in a given situation.

My only thing is that I wish the R had a joystick. It's got most other things going for it, including *knock on wood* stability...haven't had a freeze yet...been hearing of folks with R5s and R6s having this experience, that has made me reluctant to go that route...
The only time I had a problem with my R5 turned out to because over time, the wheel keeping the battery grip screwed in tightly had loosened. After that, I regularly check to make sure it's tight. No problems sense

Upvote 0
I think the stability issue is overblown. Most of the time it is affected users being vocal while the rest that haven't faced the issues remain silent.

My R6 is more stable than my other Sony a1. If you really need a joystick RF Camera then R6ii will be a delight for you.

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2021
I half-switched to R5 from DSLR 2 years ago. I still have a 5D4, and all my lenses are EF.
For the moment the EF-RF ring is fixed to the R5 and I can use all my lenses on the 2 cameras.
The reason why I bought an R5 is the eye-AF and subject tracking, because it's far from the possibilities of my 5D4 (and it's en excellent DSLR !).
This so much comfortable and secure to use this tracking when you shoot portraits ! Whith the 5D4 I was time to time out of precise focus on the eyes with very fast lenses, now it's near 100% hitrate with the R5 ! Click on subjet, recompose and trigger, the camera sticks on subject and eye ! Magic !

I think the 5D4 will be replaced in one year or two, but I'm not in a hurry. Then I'll probably begin to buy more RF lenses.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
My R6 is more stable than my other Sony a1. If you really need a joystick RF Camera then R6ii will be a delight for you.
I've actually thought about it...but then, I've gotten quite used to the 30MP of the 5D4/R and I do crop regularly...I'm not sure if I'd want to step (back) down to 24 at this point. Besides, if I went that route I likely would need a new computer first anyway, these new CR3 files seem to really tax the CPU in ways that the older CR3/CR2s do not, they take forever to process (despite having fewer MP!!)...I don't know what it is about them...

At this point I think I'll hold out until the R6 series reaches ~30MP.

Upvote 0
I've actually thought about it...but then, I've gotten quite used to the 30MP of the 5D4/R and I do crop regularly...I'm not sure if I'd want to step (back) down to 24 at this point. Besides, if I went that route I likely would need a new computer first anyway, these new CR3 files seem to really tax the CPU in ways that the older CR3/CR2s do not, they take forever to process (despite having fewer MP!!)...I don't know what it is about them...

At this point I think I'll hold out until the R6 series reaches ~30MP.
Sure you have all the time to wait. The 3xMP vs 24MP debate is always down to the frequency of cropping.

Upvote 0