Why did you switch to RF?

For those who came from another system, and decided to switch to a Canon RF body, or those who were purchasing a brand new digital camera without having anything in a previous system - What were you coming from, and why did you do it? What convinced you it made sense for you? What else were you considering and why?

Curious what drew y'all in and whether that has changed, for the better or for the worse.

Last edited:

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I interpret the question as excluding those of us who shot Canon before RF. Since this is a Canon gear forum, the question as posed excludes most people here by design, so the dearth of answers is unsurprising.
I have to say when I scanned the original post, maybe too quickly (!) I read Canon EF as being ‘another system’ to Canon RF. However, having read it again I think you are probably right.

Upvote 0
I didn't mean to exclude anyone. EF is another system; perhaps I should have said a different mount, but it kind of sounds weird saying it that way. I am actually pretty curious why EF users switched, or haven't yet switched, but I'm more curious about users switching from another manufacturer's system (or buying into RF as their first system) as it's less obvious than people upgrading within a single manufacturer's ecosystem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Sorry I misread your post. I’m not in a system outside of Canon, other than occasionally dabbling here and there to make sure I’m not missing out on anything.
I’ve been shooting Canon EF since the original 5D came out in 2005, and Nikon had stated they were going to stick with crop.
For me my current EF bodies and lenses produce exquisite quality and do everything I want.
I do have an RP plus a RF 50/1.8, but just for its small size and light weight.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I'm still in another system, but also deep in Canon's EF.
I went RF so that I could keep using my Leica R and some longer focal M lenses. Focusing with a DSLR without interchangeable focusing screens isn't easy. I once converted the 5 D III, but mirrorless allows a much better, easier and more precise focusing.
There's no way back!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I am actually pretty curious why EF users switched, or haven't yet switched,
I wonder how many fully committed to an actual switch, at least among users of this forum. I’m absolute terms, probably a high percentage or even a majority of users did that, because the numbers show that most ILC owners have just an APS-C body and the 1-2 lenses that came in the kit, and thus would have bought an R body and kit lens(es).

Objectively, the R bodies offer several advantages over EOS DSLRs...AF improvements, faster frame rates, silent shooting, more information and true WYSIWYG in the viewfinder, etc. There are also some disadvantages...lack of cross-type AF points, potential for rolling shutter (with all but the R3), for some giving up an OVF, etc. On the lens side, there are also advantages (control ring, lower cost consumer lenses, an f/2 zoom, etc.) and disadvantages (slower apertures made possible by image sensor AF, higher cost L lenses).

I suspect most users significantly invested in EF transitioned gradually and in many cases still haven’t ‘switched’. Canon made this easy, the adapter functions perfectly, and can add capabilities (control ring, filters). With the newer bodies, old flashes work with the new multifunction shoe.

Personally, I bought an EOS R and RF 24-105/4L in 2019 to try out the system, but kept on using my 1D X as my primary camera. Once the R3 came out, I switched to that as my primary camera and swapped out several of my EF lenses for improved (for me) RF versions – EF 24-70/2.8 II → 28-70/2 (faster aperture), EF 70-200/2.8 II → RF 70-200/2.8 (smaller and lighter, better IQ), EF 16-35/4 → EF 14-35/4 (wider at the wide end), EF 70-300L → RF 100-500 (not really a direct swap, but I had the original 100-400L that I swapped years ago for the smaller 70-300L, after getting the 600/4 II as my primary birding lens). I recently added the RF 100-300/2.8 for indoor events, and also R8, RF 24/1.8 and RF 28/2.8 mainly for travel.

But I've also kept and use several EF lenses for which there are no RF versions (TS-E 17 and 24, EF 11-24L, and for two of those the drop-in filter adapter adds a significant capability) or for which the RF versions don't add anything I want/need (600/4 II where the RF version is lighter but not optically better and I have no problem with the weight of my current lens), EF 85/1.4L where I don't need f/1.2, and EF 100/2.8L Macro where the RF version has focus shift in some cases and I don't need the 1.4x because I also have the MP-E 65).

On the flash side, I switched my ST-E3-RT for the ST-E10, bought an EL-5, but I still use my four 600EX-RT strobes off-camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I formerly owned a Canon EF mount DSLR, but owned Olympus mirrorless cameras since 2014. I preferred the mirrorless mainly due to the EVF showing me the approximate exposure. As soon as Canon went mirrorless, I purchased the R for the same reason. I will say that a couple years ago, I sold my Canon gear and switched to Nikon. The Z5 was on sale refurbished for $999 US, and is, in my opinion, a much better camera for the money than the R. But the main reason for the switch was the Z lenses. I like a one lens solution, and the Z 12-200mm was exactly what I was looking for. Sharper, smaller and lighter than the R24-240mm. The Z 14-30mm f/4 (I think) was also a great lens, and also small and light. I ultimately also bought a Z7 for less than half the price of the Canon R5, when I wanted to try a higher MP camera. Only one thing brought me back to Canon - the color. I could not get used too, and did not like, Nikon colors. Obviously a personal, subjective thing, but was used to, and preferred Canon color. In my opinion, Canon and Olympus color is both excellent and similar. And it also helps that those two systems have focus rings, zoom rings, and mounts that turns the same direction, compared to Nikon which turn the opposite direction. At about the same time, I began to get into Bird photography, so was glad to get the R7, with Canon's better AF than anything Nikon was offering at the time.

Upvote 0
I switched from a 5DIV to the R5 primarily for the eye AF. An unintended benefit turned out to be how well my EF and Sigma lenses worked on the R5, in particular the EF100-400 IS II (with and without 1.4TC). Only have 3 RF lenses. The RF 16mm and 14-35 mm f/4 as they had something extra over my existing EF lenses and the RF 24-105 f/4 as my old EF lens was worn out. The RF 28mm is the only thing that has my interest, as weight is an issue when carrying my big lenses. The downside of the switch was the lack of cross-focus points but I have learnt to live with that.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Number one reason: AF accuracy. I went from less than 50% acceptable shots with 70D, 17-55/2.8, to better than 98% with RP. Phase-detect sucks at wide angles.
Backward compatibility (with adapter) had me staying with Canon.
Other reasons why I switched to RF: improved manual focusing for astrophotography. More silent operation (no more birds twitching because of mirror slap). Ability to compose through viewfinder in low-light situations. Image review in viewfinder (I almost never use my screen these days). Face-detect, eye-detect, and improved tracking.
Im bright light situations I do miss my optical viewfinder at times. But it's results that count, and AF accuracy was my foremost concern.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
In two words, eyeAF and tracking. And they are definitely for the better.
Yep. Same here. The AF improvement for wildlife photography is beyond anything you can comprehend without being a wildlife photographer

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
In two words, eyeAF and tracking. And they are definitely for the better.
This and the knowledge, that Canon support will (or has already ended) end for old DSLRs and EF lenses by some time.
I like products that I use and like them to be serviced and/or repaired if they need it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0