Why Waiting for The Next Rf Body Is So Frustrating

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
You miss the point and have not read through the thread. This is what we were responding to... an absolutist statement by somebody else saying that the R is, essentially, not a good camera. "Ten years ago we all would have killed for a camera like the R. But, today it's lackluster enough that it's seen as an unacceptable hindrance to taking good photos. " ----> KitLensJockey

So while it might be a hindrance to YOU and what YOU do, it is not a camera incapable of good photos, which is what the blanket statement is saying. NO camera is one size fits all. The R is anything but lackluster. The OP did not specify a genre. He included ALL genres, including photos inside churches, etc. He is wrong, and has likely never touched an R at all. Neither have you, according to your own words. BTW: The R is on par (actually better) than your 5D Mark IV, 5DSr, and 7D Mark II for what I do, in my opinion. It absolutely shreds my former 5D Mark III.

Aussieshooter said, "Fact is there is no new ILC on the market that is a hindrance to taking good photos." He's right, and was actually speaking against said absolutist statements.

And yet, I've seen many similar images taken with a 5D Mark III, a 5D Mark II, or a 5D.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It's not that simple. Even for a single element lens, all other in the scene being equal, a higher refraction index (i.e. a thinner lens with the same focal lenght) will lead to a lower field curvature.

True, but such a lens will still demonstrate field curvature. No single element lens will remotely approach flat field performance.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
And yet, I've seen many similar images taken with a 5D Mark III, a 5D Mark II, or a 5D.
Yup. Heck, I still have an XSi Rebel I took some great photos with. This one from 4 miles across San Francisco Bay with an 18 second long exposure. Never hindered me.

Attachments

• finalskyline2WEB.jpg
    finalskyline2WEB.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yup. Heck, I still have an XSi Rebel I took some great photos with. This one from 4 miles across San Francisco Bay with an 18 second long exposure. Never hindered me.

You would surely admit, though, that the primitive AF system of the XSi (I had an XTi for my first digital EOS body) made portraits like your other example much more difficult?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You would surely admit, though, that the primitive AF system of the XSi (I had an XTi for my first digital EOS body) made portraits like your other example much more difficult?
Absolutely. Of course, I couldn't take the quality of portrait back then that I can now. I had the pop-up flash and that was it. The skyline photo was focused manually in magnified live view. I believe it was an EFs 55-250mm lens. So I learned on the XSi. Then the T5i, 70D, and then the 5D Mark III.

However, the R does a far better job at portrait focus than my 5D mark III did. It almost never misses, whereas the 5D Mark III would frequently front or back focus an eye. So for me, that is the biggest benefit, besides and almost unlimited # of focus points. Honestly, I can't believe the amount of camera one gets for the money with the R. I had both the R and the 5D Mark IV in my cart. The possibility of f/1.2 lenses made my choice final. I made the best choice for my major use case.

If the upcoming firmware update is all they say it is, the R could be the biggest bargain ever, not to mention the RP. :) The R gives me time to build a glass collection before stepping up to a future more advanced model. Not saying the 5D mark III was a bad camera. It was great. The R is just far more dependable for me focus wise.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
You're totally missing the point. Not everyone that wants to fasten something want to use a phillips head screw. Thus a blanket statement that any phillips head screwdriver is not a hindrance for any fastener is not accurate.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I'll leave this debate. It's like playing chess with A rooster.

Upvote 0