Why You Should Stick with Your Canon DSLR and Forget Sony FF Mirrorless

Over the last year or two, there seems to be an ever increasing percentage of topics that are designed to antagonise and bait Canon users. I think this is why a lot of people are less visible, leading to the recent where have all the older members gone topic. Rather than slink away, others are more inclined to stand up for their views and be counted. In most areas of life, that would be considered a positive trait.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
3kramd5 said:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/04/sony-goes-world-class-the-24-70mm-f2-8-gm-mtf-and-variance-tests/

But wait, I thought the mount didn't support quality lenses!

Since people must think I am a Sony hater in this thread, I want to admit that I think this new lens from Sony looks very promising indeed, and a large step in the right direction. Sony are improving. For the Sony people, I hope the quality lives up to the optical performance. The size and weight would put me of, but at least it is way smaller and lighter than the new Nikon 24-70 f/2.8.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dilbert said:
MickDK said:
Larsskv said:
Today, you can buy a used A7 for NOK 6000, and the 5DIII goes for NOK 15000. Point taken?
Here in Denmark things are somewhat different:

Used A7: 5700 DKK (original price in 2013 was 13500 DKK, new price today 9000 DKK)

Used 5D3: 9000 DKK (original price in 2012 was 25000 DKK, new price today 21000 DKK)

Used 5D3 price as a % of original price: 36%
Used A7 price as a % of original price: 42%

Used 5D3 price as a % of new price today: 43%
Used A7 price as a % of new price today: 63%

Summary: the Sony A7 has better resale value than the Canon 5D Mark III in the 2nd hand market in Denmark.

Now what were people saying about how Canon's long update time means better value when selling your camera on the 2nd hand market?

The opposite is true elsewhere, in much larger markets. Do you believe Denmark is representative of all countries? ::)

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
dilbert said:
NorbR said:
dilbert said:
Nice! A second zoom lens that whips Canon's butt.

"Whips Canon's butt"?
So you didn't read the article, did you?

I did, maybe you didn't look at what the lens charts showed?

24mm - "All three of these are excellent lenses at 24mm. The Sony might be a hair better, but it’s a pretty minor hair."

70mm - "Again the Sony is at least as good as the others. It has, by a tiny hair the best center resolution, and while it isn’t quite as flat across the image as the Nikon, it is better in that regard than the Canon. It does have just a bit more astigmatism / lateral color on the MTF bench, though."

"Sure the fanboys can split hairs about this or that, but the differences in the lenses themselves are tiny."

Hardly a whipping.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
dilbert said:
d said:
dilbert said:
NorbR said:
dilbert said:

"Whips Canon's butt"?
So you didn't read the article, did you?

I did, maybe you didn't look at what the lens charts showed?

24mm - "All three of these are excellent lenses at 24mm. The Sony might be a hair better, but it’s a pretty minor hair."

70mm - "Again the Sony is at least as good as the others. It has, by a tiny hair the best center resolution, and while it isn’t quite as flat across the image as the Nikon, it is better in that regard than the Canon. It does have just a bit more astigmatism / lateral color on the MTF bench, though."

"Sure the fanboys can split hairs about this or that, but the differences in the lenses themselves are tiny."

Hardly a whipping.

People say sites like dpreview are biased because they are always anti-Canon in different ways.

If Lens Rentals really believe the differences in their measurements warrant those comments then Lens Rentals are biased in favor of Canon (vs Sony) because the graphs show a very significant difference in favor of Sony - much more than the "minor" or "hair" differences.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/media/2016/04/24varcomp.jpg

So are you getting your Sony camera now?

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
dilbert said:
MickDK said:
Larsskv said:
Today, you can buy a used A7 for NOK 6000, and the 5DIII goes for NOK 15000. Point taken?
Here in Denmark things are somewhat different:

Used A7: 5700 DKK (original price in 2013 was 13500 DKK, new price today 9000 DKK)

Used 5D3: 9000 DKK (original price in 2012 was 25000 DKK, new price today 21000 DKK)

Used 5D3 price as a % of original price: 36%
Used A7 price as a % of original price: 42%

Used 5D3 price as a % of new price today: 43%
Used A7 price as a % of new price today: 63%

Summary: the Sony A7 has better resale value than the Canon 5D Mark III in the 2nd hand market in Denmark.

Now what were people saying about how Canon's long update time means better value when selling your camera on the 2nd hand market?

The 5DIII price he gave in Denmark was very misleading and not representative for the used market. Please see my former post on that.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
dilbert said:
J.R. said:
If you have bought it, its good you have nice lens options now ... but "Maybe"? duh!

It's none of your (or anyone else on this forum) business what I own or do with my money and nor do I intend on making what I do with it public.

Duh! you are right, who cares what you buy!

My point was that with your continuous dull posts as to how Sony is great and Canon is crap, at least one should be sure you have first hand experience of using a Sony product to be taken seriously.

But then that's probably too much to expect from you.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
d said:
dilbert said:
J.R. said:
If you have bought it, its good you have nice lens options now ... but "Maybe"? duh!

It's none of your (or anyone else on this forum) business what I own or do with my money and nor do I intend on making what I do with it public.

If only you kept your opinions as well guarded...

Too many times I sit on my hands trying to avoid corresponding with dilbert, but I still end up posting something once in a while and regretting it immediately. :'(

Something has come to mind ... I'm going to change my Signature immediately.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dilbert said:
Look, my opinions are just as valid as anyone else's and I don't see anyone else holding theirs back!

No. You have just as much right as anyone else to share your opinions, but that doesn't make your opinions valid. When others base their opinions on knowledge and understanding of facts, and you base your opinions inadequate knowledge, misunderstood facts and pure imagination, your opinions have an inherent lack of validity.

Someone might be of the opinion that the Earth is flat or that Olympus sells more cameras than Canon, and while they have every right to share that opinion, doing so makes them look like a fool.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Look, my opinions are just as valid as anyone else's and I don't see anyone else holding theirs back!

:-D

Maybe it's because they're holding back their opinions that you don't get to see them ...

(which is obviously a wise choice in threads like this one, and I will get back to doing just that)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dilbert said:
In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into ...

icon175x175.jpeg

Hey dilbert, what happens if you Google "armchair expert"??

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
dilbert said:
J.R. said:
Troll ... really? simply for asking whether Dilbert had finally purchased a Sony camera?

Yes.

If you google "internet troll", you'll see this:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into ...

Your post about me owning a Sony is/was off topic and was posted deliberately to provoke me.

dilbert - read that bit in red and then have a little pause for reflection......

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
3kramd5 said:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/04/sony-goes-world-class-the-24-70mm-f2-8-gm-mtf-and-variance-tests/

But wait, I thought the mount didn't support quality lenses!

If Canon's 24-70/2.8L II were still at its original MSRP, it'd be another zoom from Sony that had better quality IQ and cheaper than Canon.

Hi dilbert,
On paper, the Sony does look good Vs Canon. I ran quick test yesterday(might not be apple vs apple test). I took some shots with 5dr + Canon 24-70 II Vs a7r ii and new GM. I'm in early 70yrs and looking through those photos on my 32" 4K monitor, results were very-very close.

However, this is great news for Sony when comparing to others FE zoom lenses. Huge step forwward for them.

Upvote 0

msm

Jun 8, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:

No. You have just as much right as anyone else to share your opinions, but that doesn't make your opinions valid. When others base their opinions on knowledge and understanding of facts, and you base your opinions inadequate knowledge, misunderstood facts and pure imagination, your opinions have an inherent lack of validity.

Yep, precisely like your opinions.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
msm said:
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:

Yep, precisely like your opinions.

Yep, I can understand how you might believe the statement that, for example, "The 1D C is not really a dSLR," is a perfectly valid opinion based on properly understood facts. Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. ::)

Upvote 0