Will Canon ever make 1 inch DPAF sensor?

Adelino

EOS RP
Jan 21, 2015
Will Canon ever build their own 1 inch sensor and utilize DPAF, that would be a great benefit for Powershot cameras.

Adelino

EOS RP
Jan 21, 2015
bhf3737 said:
Adelino said:
Will Canon ever build their own 1 inch sensor and utilize DPAF, that would be a great benefit for Powershot cameras.
Canon already has 1 inch sensor with DPAF, that has been used in XF400 video and XC-15 hybrid video camera.
Oh good. How good is it with stills and do you think it will be used in Powershot cameras? I would love a GX7 or GX5 style with DPAF.

mistaspeedy

EOS RP
Apr 5, 2015
It has a 12 megapixel sensor, and I assume it has been optimized for shooting video (strong AA filter to avoid moire).

Not sure how good it would be for stills... probably not too good.

bhf3737

---
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Calgary, Canada
www.flickr.com
Adelino said:
Oh good. How good is it with stills and do you think it will be used in Powershot cameras? I would love a GX7 or GX5 style with DPAF.
What is the need for 1-inch sensor? Doesn't a Powershot with larger sensor meet the need?
A Powershot with APS-C (larger) sensor already exists: PowerShot G1 X Mark III is a 24MP APS-C with DPAF.
Larger sensor contributes to better overall and specially low light performance.

BTW. Canon XF400 Camcorder has a 8.29MP, 1-inch DPAF Sensor different from what was used in XC-15 (12MP, DPAF).

Adelino

EOS RP
Jan 21, 2015
bhf3737 said:
Adelino said:
What is the need for 1-inch sensor? Doesn't a Powershot with larger sensor meet the need?
A Powershot with APS-C (larger) sensor already exists: PowerShot G1 X Mark III is a 24MP APS-C with DPAF.
Larger sensor contributes to better overall and specially low light performance.

BTW. Canon XF400 Camcorder has a 8.29MP, 1-inch DPAF Sensor different from what was used in XC-15 (12MP, DPAF).
I like the GX5 and GX7 series, I think they are a great compromise with fast lens, nice sensor size, IQ is nice. Size is GREAT! and price is not bad.

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Can someone explain to me what a 1" sensor is? Is that the diagonal measurement? Or something else? Is there a good website that explains all this stuff?

Thanks

Rich

AlanF

Hands. Face. Space.
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
RGF said:
Can someone explain to me what a 1" sensor is? Is that the diagonal measurement? Or something else? Is there a good website that explains all this stuff?

Thanks

Rich
I Googled your question and this site came up first with the explanation.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-1-inch-camera-sensors-13-2mm-x-8-8mm-so-labelled-In-what-respect-do-they-measure-an-inch

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
AlanF said:
RGF said:

Thanks

Rich
I Googled your question and this site came up first with the explanation.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-1-inch-camera-sensors-13-2mm-x-8-8mm-so-labelled-In-what-respect-do-they-measure-an-inch
Thanks. So a FF camera has a 3" sensor. Seems strange that this term would still be used today. Probably used to confuse the consumer to think that they sensor is much larger than it really is.