Will Canon ever make 1 inch DPAF sensor?

Jan 21, 2015
bhf3737 said:
Adelino said:
Will Canon ever build their own 1 inch sensor and utilize DPAF, that would be a great benefit for Powershot cameras.
Canon already has 1 inch sensor with DPAF, that has been used in XF400 video and XC-15 hybrid video camera.

Oh good. How good is it with stills and do you think it will be used in Powershot cameras? I would love a GX7 or GX5 style with DPAF.

Upvote 0
Adelino said:
Oh good. How good is it with stills and do you think it will be used in Powershot cameras? I would love a GX7 or GX5 style with DPAF.
What is the need for 1-inch sensor? Doesn't a Powershot with larger sensor meet the need?
A Powershot with APS-C (larger) sensor already exists: PowerShot G1 X Mark III is a 24MP APS-C with DPAF.
Larger sensor contributes to better overall and specially low light performance.

BTW. Canon XF400 Camcorder has a 8.29MP, 1-inch DPAF Sensor different from what was used in XC-15 (12MP, DPAF).

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
bhf3737 said:
Adelino said:
What is the need for 1-inch sensor? Doesn't a Powershot with larger sensor meet the need?
A Powershot with APS-C (larger) sensor already exists: PowerShot G1 X Mark III is a 24MP APS-C with DPAF.
Larger sensor contributes to better overall and specially low light performance.

BTW. Canon XF400 Camcorder has a 8.29MP, 1-inch DPAF Sensor different from what was used in XC-15 (12MP, DPAF).

I like the GX5 and GX7 series, I think they are a great compromise with fast lens, nice sensor size, IQ is nice. Size is GREAT! and price is not bad.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
RGF said:
Can someone explain to me what a 1" sensor is? Is that the diagonal measurement? Or something else? Is there a good website that explains all this stuff?

Thanks

Rich

I Googled your question and this site came up first with the explanation.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-1-inch-camera-sensors-13-2mm-x-8-8mm-so-labelled-In-what-respect-do-they-measure-an-inch

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
AlanF said:
RGF said:
Can someone explain to me what a 1" sensor is? Is that the diagonal measurement? Or something else? Is there a good website that explains all this stuff?

Thanks

Rich

I Googled your question and this site came up first with the explanation.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-1-inch-camera-sensors-13-2mm-x-8-8mm-so-labelled-In-what-respect-do-they-measure-an-inch

Thanks. So a FF camera has a 3" sensor. Seems strange that this term would still be used today. Probably used to confuse the consumer to think that they sensor is much larger than it really is.

Upvote 0