Will not buy Canon gear at launch.

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
tron said:
Have you noticed that newly introduced lenses have no issues? Also, their prices do not fall afterwards (exceptions are maybe the latest 24 2.8, 28 2.8 and 35 2.0).
So there are no excuses for any delays in satisfying lens G.A.S ;D ;D ;D

This is not quite true; at least here in central europe lens prices drop quite a bit after introduction. The EF 11-24 for instance came down from above 3400 to below 3000...

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
sanj said:
Learnt my lesson with the price drops. Will not buy Canon gear at introduction. Just 6 months is enough for a price drop.
Just speaking out loud.

Dilbert was right when he said that it may be worth waiting few months before buying the 5ds/r.

How is this just a Canon issue? Think cars, TV's, smartphones, software...

If a company makes the tool I need and sells it at a reasonable price, I buy it. If I don't need it, I buy it later. ;)

Another point: I use to really fuss about the price of books in bookstores compared to online. Now there are no more bookstores. Soon, with e-readers, there won't be anymore used books. Every book we buy will be at the new price, and not ours to share with friends or donate to our local library. This was all brought about by collective consumer behavior.

Much of the same sad industry transformation has already happened with photography. Those of us who think being stingy is a virtue, who get angry at the price of a camera, a fast-food burger, a new novel, a computer OS, or American made products, are reaping the whirlwind, my friends.

If you gripe about jobs in America or Europe, you have stingy consumers to thank, largely. Corporations exhibit the same stinginess with profits, but we call that greed. Cheers!

I do agree it is collective consumer behavior, but I dont think it is always people being stingy. For those with less disposable income, their cash flow is necessarily lower. Given the choice between say buying a Blu Ray player which costs $400 but last 10 years and a $40 player which lasts a year, they will go for the latter as it gives them something now, and they can replace it when it breaks.

That is fictitious of course, as technology advances quickly, but the point is of course not everyone can afford to pay top dollar.

Re books - yes, that is the downside of eBooks. The upside is the lack of space they occupy :) I have many second hand books for photography research as they're cheap. I do however wonder if people will sell their ebooks in future. No reason why consumer pressure wont make it happen.

Same for films (streaming), Music (streaming or downloads). We trade convenience for value for money. Watch a film only once, streaming is cost effective. But as you say, you can't loan it, you can't watch it again.

I bought my first 1xx model second hand when the 5D II had many issues. Landscape photographers were not too worried by the AF problems of the 1Ds MK III, so we could pick up one not hugely more expensive than the 5d II was new. I still have the bodies. They still work extremely well (ignoring the AF issue) some 6 years on, which is of course one of Canon (and Nikon) strengths - built to last :)

Buy at the price you're happy with, new or secondhand, and then fulfill the reasons you bought it for...

Upvote 0
The camera industry has been consolidation with more buyouts to ensue. I can see Sony purchasing Nikon in the future for example. And camera technology is also at the mature end of its life cycle. Cameras are no longer a growth industry in the US and Japan. Perhaps more growth will come as India, China etc. raise the income of their population. But here the industry is one of replacement, ie. people purchase when their old camera has worn out.

Perhaps it is time to sell Canon and Nikon short?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
tron said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
tron said:
Have you noticed that newly introduced lenses have no issues? Also, their prices do not fall afterwards (exceptions are maybe the latest 24 2.8, 28 2.8 and 35 2.0).
So there are no excuses for any delays in satisfying lens G.A.S ;D ;D ;D

Perhaps you should check the price for a 100-400mm L introduced about 7 months ago, and now available for $1999, which is $200 less!

As soon as initial backlogs are filled, and products are filling the bins at big photo stores, prices are reduced. They have ways of getting around the MAP prices, such as selling thru a referral from Canon Price Watch.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/05613/Canon-EF-100-400mm-f4.5-5.6L-IS-II-price.html
Maybe BUT:

1. The first part of my comments referred to the new lenses having no issues so no reason to delay.
2. The price reductions apply mostly to USA and not to Europe. Even so your example shows a 10% (more or less) price reduction or a 200$ amount which depending on what you are going to photograph is not probably huge (compared with the advantages of the new 100-400 vs the old one).

You listed three lenses and I merely added a 4th. The point is that all products start at a certain price, and the selling price drops over time. Certainly, currency valuation can have a impact on price, but its usually the early adopters who pay more.

BTW, I received mine in the first shipment, and paid full price.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi eml.
My Gran always said I want doesn't get! ;D
I do know what you mean though, it can be a struggle when the only thing stopping me from acting on my wants is not having the cash! ::) :eek: :D

Cheers, Graham.

eml58 said:
Tend to agree with Eldar, it comes out, I want it, now, I can wait, but not long, mainly because I want it, now.

Upvote 0