Would we be asking too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D_Rochat

CrimsonBlue said:
Sometimes Canon goes first; sometimes Nikon goes first.

That's just it right there. It's going to cost a lot of money to switch systems and glass just because Canon hasn't rushed out into the market yet with the upgrade. Would you rather they release an unfinished product just because Nikon released something first? It's always going to be a back and forth thing with these two companies. Competition between the two is good. We as the consumers end up getting a better product if they are striving to out do the other. Untie your panties and wait.

Upvote 0
K

KeithR

bornshooter said:
always see these new posters threatening to go to nikon and it is really getting tiring go to nikon please you will end up a far superior photographer (sarcasm) honestly these people are just trolling looking to for a reaction get a life you are probably shooting with a sony lol just go away!
Ironically, I jumped ship from Nikon to Canon back in D200 days (what a POS that thing was - the 30D I replaced it with was in another league, IQ wise).

No histrionics, no showboating, no online posturing, just a decision that "I've had enough of this horrible bloody thing" and that was that.

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
unfocused said:
KeithR said:
Would we be asking too much for you to have spent five minutes looking through the forum and seeing how other "if Canon doesn't make the exact camera I want right now I'm going to throw an almighty hissy-fit and flounce off into the arms of Nikon..." posts are received, before posting yours?

I guess that's us both disappointed, then...

+100

I would suggest that these individuals would find it more effective to buy a plane ticket to Japan, stand outside Canon headquarters and hold their breath until they turn blue in the face. It will be more effective and keep them from wasting valuable internet space.

Occupy Canon!

Upvote 0
In the end, it's all cyclical... There are those, when the 5d3 comes out, will jump ship to nikon because MP, AF, whatever reason... and then there will be inevitably some nikon shooters which will say holy crap, i dont want to buy a whole new computer just to upgrade to the D800 and get raped when buying the few lenses nikon has, and move over to canon. People will come and go and we should probably not get worked up when each person posts their displeasure with canon because it will probably change when the 5d4 comes out or the D900 or whatever... I just isn't worth getting in a tissy...

Upvote 0
N

Neeneko

awinphoto said:
If the still part of the camera suffered because of the inclusion, then I would understand the anger, but in the end, if you dont need it, if you dont want it, if you dont like it, then dont click record while you are in live view (or press the record button) on the 7d.

Well, that is the crux of the issue, does the still part of the camera suffer? Unless one is a project manager at Canon it is really hard to say for sure what effect exactly the inclusion of video has on the still camera. But in general including a feature like that does not come 'for free'.

The big unknown is what the (opportunity) cost of inclusion of video is when weighed against the cost savings of unified product lines and increased sales.

On the one hand, including video does increase the cost of development, there is just no way around this. It is more firmware, more hardware, more capabilities that need to be tested, more exposed UI elements, design decisions that need to be balanced against each other, etc. If the same design resources were thrown at a pure still camera it would produce a better still camera then the hybrid design would.

However, we get a savings from an undifferentiated product line through reuse of design. There are many things that you only have to do once and then can be applied from the 1000 line up through 1Dx. There is also the increased sales one gets out of a hybrid device rather then something specialized, thus resulting in a larger initial design budget.

As outsiders, we do not know which of those two competing pieces outweighs the other. Neither side should be dismissed though since in such design nothing is 'free' in either direction. It is quite possible that including video results in a better still camera, but it is also possible that including video is resulting in a degraded still camera. We are unlikely to find out from Canon since right now 'video in everything' is the industry orthodox and careers can be broken by going against such a powerful meme.

Upvote 0
Neeneko said:
On the one hand, including video does increase the cost of development, there is just no way around this. It is more firmware, more hardware, more capabilities that need to be tested, more exposed UI elements, design decisions that need to be balanced against each other, etc. If the same design resources were thrown at a pure still camera it would produce a better still camera then the hybrid design would.

For the most part, you may be right you may be wrong... I'm not sure if the 40D had live view or not or if any of the rebels had live view before that, but be it as it may, once they put live view in, adding the software and algorithms to write the live view code into video and record to card for all we know could have taken 15 minutes for the canon engineers to do. I remember watching an interview with adobe's engineers after CS5 came out and they mentioned someone floated the idea of content aware fill and heal capabilities and literally a few hours later it was created, implemented and good to go. You're also forgetting the video was in response to Nikon's D90... Canons 50D was released a month before the D90, the D90 comes out, and a month after that the 5d2 pops out with video. For all we know it could have been a top exec said "put in video" and an hour later, its there. (could explain alot about stuff like jellocam, no manual audio fix or recording, 30FPS only on full HD when it was first released, etc). Worrying about unknowns probably isn't justified enough to get worked up over, especially since we dont know that the 5d2 would have been ANY better or not with or without video. It probably was an 11th hour decision and the camera was probably ready to go before that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.