Your best animal shots!

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
msm said:
Eldar said:
During my trip to Mana Pools, Zimbabwe, I shot more than a thousand elephant images. I find these large and majestic animals, who move so silently, very fascinating. One night, I woke up from a sound above my tent. I thought it was a bird, but looking out through the mosquito net, I saw an elephant just inches away from me, as he was eating from the tree above my tent. Quite an experience ... :)
1DX, 200-400 f4L IS 1.4x @350mm

Time to pull out the 11-24 then :p

Yes Eldar how about a shot with you just under his head with a tusk about 1" from the glass - could be a winner! :)

Nice shots!

Upvote 0
Eldar,
This is really dramatic!
Worthy of matted, framed in large format, and hung!
Thanks for sharing.
-r

Eldar said:
During my trip to Mana Pools, Zimbabwe, I shot more than a thousand elephant images. I find these large and majestic animals, who move so silently, very fascinating. One night, I woke up from a sound above my tent. I thought it was a bird, but looking out through the mosquito net, I saw an elephant just inches away from me, as he was eating from the tree above my tent. Quite an experience ... :)
1DX, 200-400 f4L IS 1.4x @350mm

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Stag and his Doe's, Red Deer, Martindale Valley Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

7DMKII 70-200mm F2.8 MKII with 2x extender F8 1/500 1250 ISO

Stag and his Doe's, Red Deer, Martindale Valley, Ullswater Cumbria

First time out with the 7DMKII and really impressed with it!

I have been out tracking the Red Deer in the Martindale valley for the last week or so. Beautiful creatures and the largest mammals in the UK. The valley comes alive with deer whaling, Its the middle of the mating season and now is the best time to go out and see them, this is a snippet of what was a huge heard of around 50!! Really incredible to watch. Haven't seen any rutting yet but hope to in the next few weeks.

Upvote 0
tomscott said:

I have been out tracking the Red Deer in the Martindale valley for the last week or so. Beautiful creatures and the largest mammals in the UK. The valley comes alive with deer whaling, Its the middle of the mating season and now is the best time to go out and see them, this is a snippet of what was a huge heard of around 50!! Really incredible to watch. Haven't seen any rutting yet but hope to in the next few weeks.

Wow, sounds like a great experience and what an incredible scene you've captured here!

Upvote 0

tomscott

Here is a more up close and personal shot of the Cumbrian Red Deer on the Dalemain estate.

Stag, Red Deer, Martindale Valley Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

After sitting and waiting patiently I spotted a stag peering over the ferns right at the end of the Martindale Valley. Almost out of nowhere another walked right by giving this engaging composition. I Love sitting and watching these majestic animals. Deer are common throughout Britain but these red deer are shy and difficult to capture as their eyesight is impeccable, getting close is difficult. Really pleased with this one!

Stags, Red Deer, Martindale Valley Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

7DMKII 70-200mm MKII 2x extender F7.1 400mm 1/320 ISO 1600

Upvote 0

tomscott

Northstar said:
tomscott said:

Wow, sounds like a great experience and what an incredible scene you've captured here!

Thanks Northstar :) Really is a great experience. I shot some video on the 7DMKII too to try out its focus track so may post after I've edited it.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Northstar said:
tomscott said:

Reminds me of my recent experience sitting by the ocean on a lawn chair shooting my first Bald eagles with the birds swooping over my head. A lot a folk just don't understand the rush we get from the wonderful wildlife we enjoy shooting. One friend I used to email shots to wouldn't even comment on receiving them while others rave.

I love your shots.

Jack

Upvote 0

tomscott

Jack Douglas said:
Northstar said:
tomscott said:

Reminds me of my recent experience sitting by the ocean on a lawn chair shooting my first Bald eagles with the birds swooping over my head. A lot a folk just don't understand the rush we get from the wonderful wildlife we enjoy shooting. One friend I used to email shots to wouldn't even comment on receiving them while others rave.

I love your shots.

Jack

Thanks Jack I really appreciate your comments. What its all about for me experiencing sharing and conversing.

Tom

Upvote 0
tomscott said:
Here is a more up close and personal shot of the Cumbrian Red Deer on the Dalemain estate.

Stag, Red Deer, Martindale Valley Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

After sitting and waiting patiently I spotted a stag peering over the ferns right at the end of the Martindale Valley. Almost out of nowhere another walked right by giving this engaging composition. I Love sitting and watching these majestic animals. Deer are common throughout Britain but these red deer are shy and difficult to capture as their eyesight is impeccable, getting close is difficult. Really pleased with this one!

Stags, Red Deer, Martindale Valley Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

7DMKII 70-200mm MKII 2x extender F7.1 400mm 1/320 ISO 1600

I can only imagine your exhilaration as the second stag appeared and moved into position! Looking forward to the video.
North

Upvote 0

tomscott

Just a picture of some sheep :D

Swaledale Sheep, Martindale Valley, Ullswater, Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

7DMKII 70-200mm MKII 2x ƒ/8.0 140 1/320 ISO1250

Swaledale is a breed of domestic sheep named after the Yorkshire valley of Swaledale in England. They are found throughout the more mountainous areas of Great Britain, but particularly in the Yorkshire Dales, County Durham, and around the pennine fells of Cumbria.

Swaledales are noted for their off-white wool, curled horns and white around their nose and eyes. They are used for the production of lamb/mutton, the North of England Mule sheep, and as Pedigree breeding stock. Together with the Rough Fell, Herdwick, and Dalesbred sheep, they are one of the three variations associated with the English Lake District.

The Swaledale sheep has proved itself to be a bold, hardy sheep, well fitted to endure the hardships of exposed and high lying situations.

It is of an alert nature and is a good thriver. The ewes make most excellent lamb shearers. The wool is admitted to be more durable in wear and of even texture.

Being excellent feeders and of strong constitution, as mutton producers they are second to none.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
tomscott said:
Just a picture of some sheep :D

Swaledale Sheep, Martindale Valley, Ullswater, Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

7DMKII 70-200mm MKII 2x ƒ/8.0 140 1/320 ISO1250

Swaledale is a breed of domestic sheep named after the Yorkshire valley of Swaledale in England. They are found throughout the more mountainous areas of Great Britain, but particularly in the Yorkshire Dales, County Durham, and around the pennine fells of Cumbria.

Swaledales are noted for their off-white wool, curled horns and white around their nose and eyes. They are used for the production of lamb/mutton, the North of England Mule sheep, and as Pedigree breeding stock. Together with the Rough Fell, Herdwick, and Dalesbred sheep, they are one of the three variations associated with the English Lake District.

The Swaledale sheep has proved itself to be a bold, hardy sheep, well fitted to endure the hardships of exposed and high lying situations.

It is of an alert nature and is a good thriver. The ewes make most excellent lamb shearers. The wool is admitted to be more durable in wear and of even texture.

Being excellent feeders and of strong constitution, as mutton producers they are second to none.

Tom, imagine my surprise to hear Swaledale (never been to England) as my ancestors, Waller/Robinson/Johnson have a history back to the 1600's as far as records allow around Swaledale, father born in Boosbeck - all worked in the mines from maybe 10 years of age on, some emigrated to Canada early 1900 .... blaa blaa blaa.

It really is nice to see more than just the shots, thanks!

Jack Waller

Upvote 0