Your lenses wishlist for 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

axismundi

most of all: an equivalent for the Nikkor 14-24 f2.8, apparently Canon has no lense that matches the optical performance of this zoom, even not the 14 f2.8, which is a FFL and more expensive than Nikons zoom.

2nd wish: that the new 200-400 4f with 1.4 Extender will not be too pricy (< 4000 US$ ??)

3nd wish: a 50 f1.4 II being sharp until the corners even wide open.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
IWLP said:
I'd really like a prime, wide-angle (in 35mm-E terms) EF-S lens. Somewhere in the 15-17mm range. F/2 or faster. I love the 28mm-E focal length, and if a fast prime of this lens existed, it would rarely leave my camera.

Not quite as wide as you'd like, but Sigma makes a 20mm f/1.8 that would give you 32mm FF-equivalent and faster than f/2...

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Not quite as wide as you'd like, but Sigma makes a 20mm f/1.8 that would give you 32mm FF-equivalent and faster than f/2...

I've looked at that as an option, as well as sacrificing a stop or so and going with the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. As it is, there's no perfect solution yet, so I guess I'll wait.

Thanks for the reminder - I may have to set my 10-22mm to the 20mm setting and see what I think ...

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
IWLP said:
I may have to set my 10-22mm to the 20mm setting and see what I think ...

Always a good idea if you have a zoom covering the range of prime lens(es) you're considering. 8)

Another way to see what you like is to review your existing images. Adobe Lightroom will let you look at various combinations of camera and lenses and see how many images were taken at various focal lengths, shutter speeds, and a ton of other things. I did this when considering whether to get the 24mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.4. I had twice as many images at 35mm, so thats what I bought.

I found a older Tokina 17mm prime locally on Craigslist for $150. Its not a crop lens, and not f/2.8, but it fills the need for ultra wide on my Canon 5D MK II and was actually good enough that I sold my Canon 17-40mm L.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
scalesusa said:
Another way to see what you like is to review your existing images. Adobe Lightroom will let you look at various combinations of camera and lenses and see how many images were taken at various focal lengths, shutter speeds, and a ton of other things. I did this when considering whether to get the 24mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.4. I had twice as many images at 35mm, so thats what I bought.

I did that as well, for the exact same decision - I also bought the 35L (last month, in fact). The caveat about image review is that you have to keep processing in mind, or look at the original RAW files. I'm not sure how LR displays them, but Aperture shows the processed images in the library - and while I have many images shot at 24mm, a lot of them ended up being cropped a bit in post, maybe not quite to a 35mm FoV, but the 35mm lens was clearly the best choice for me.

Upvote 0
A

archfotos

for TSE Lens
35mm tse
110mm tse
(both the 45 and 90 tse always seem to be the wrong angle of view)

for zooms
35-150 f4 this would be a great portrait range
16-28 F4 would love the size to be small for backpacking the 16-35 F2.8 is a great lens for work but I ain't carrying it for fun

Finally because it's a wish list i would love to see Canon standardize their lens shades, every other one I get any more has a different and confusing way to attach it reminds me of those child proof tops that only a child could open

Upvote 0
24-105 F2.8L IS

I own a 24-70 F2.8L. My favorite lens but sometimes the zoom falls short...
I rented a 24-105 F4.0 L to test it out. I love the range but the lens is not good enough:
First of all, the hood is badly designed; there is noticeable light leak from backlit sources. I tried using the hood from my 24-70 and it vignettes at 24mm so no can do.
Second, the hood is attached to the front of the lens. You zoom in and out and the whole hood moves with it. The 24-70 has a fixed hood so you don't see the lens expanding when u zoom. Much neater and the lens is more protected from bumping while fully extended.
Sharpness is comparable but I believe the 24-70 at F8.0 is sharper.
Also the 24-70 is heavier.
The 24-105's IS works really well. Shooting handheld at 1/30 is not a problem.

So, my dream lens: 24-105 F2.8L IS priced at around $1500 should be fair...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.