Zoo Pics 2

To ForumMuppet,
Great shot of the jaguar in Los Angeles! That is a very difficult enclosure to photograph. It is also very outdated and way too small, so I am happy to hear they are building a new one that will finish construction at the end of this year (2013) and presumably open to the public in early 2014.

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,
Here are a few photos of my last trip to the Pretoria Zoo (South Africa).
First up the Siberian Tiger, then a lion and lastly a King Cheetah.
Enjoy.
Tomas

Attachments

• Pretoria Zoo 002.JPG
    Pretoria Zoo 002.JPG
    974 KB · Views: 1,309
  • Pretoria Zoo 003.JPG
    Pretoria Zoo 003.JPG
    943.6 KB · Views: 1,063
  • Pretoria Zoo 005.JPG
    Pretoria Zoo 005.JPG
    754.4 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Pretoria Zoo 008.JPG
    Pretoria Zoo 008.JPG
    882.4 KB · Views: 2,694
Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
wsgroves said:
What lens did you use for your shots Guy? Very nice.
I recently sold my 2 telephoto lenses and am in the process of upgrading them. First will probably be the 70-300L as its very small to fit in bag and it seems like a good zoo lens.

The black and white shot of the Goeldi's monkey was a Tamron 90mm f2.8 (I'd taken it to get some shots of poison arrow frogs but they were in a closed off area due to construction work :(). Hard to get sharp shots through dirty windows and bad lighting!

All other shots are the 500mm f4 mk2. Amazing lens. Purchased to massage a mid-life crisis ::).

Depending on which zoo you go to, you can still be quite far from the animals. All these shots are quite cropped. I also had the 1.4x mk3 TC with me but pretty much forgot about it most of the time I was there. The main problem is shooting through grotty windows or mesh fence. A fence is okay if you're right up against it but often it may be 8 or 10 feet away from you. The lion was probably 50 or 60 feet away.

Upvote 0
500 f4 is of course a gorgeous lens, but it is too large and too expensive for most of us mere mortals. It is also a bit overkill for zoos (works great with wild birds, however). I think your idea of the 70-300L is a great choice for zoo photography. It gets very good reviews. Just remember it does NOT take extenders, but 300 should be enough reach for zoo work. One alternative, the route I went, is to get a 70-200 f2_8 and use it with a 1.4x extender when needed. I bought the non IS version last year, as it is a thousand bucks cheaper than the ISii version. They have now discontinued the non IS, but some dealers still have stock.

Upvote 0