zooms vs primes for landscape

GMCPhotographics said:
Random Orbits said:
I have the Zeiss 21mm too and I quite like it, especially for astrophotography (not much coma and hard stop at infinity). Now even "modern" Canon lenses exhibit coma like: 24mm 1.4L II 35mm 1.4L 16-35mm f/2.8L

I guessing that Canon's coma performance will be improved during the next round of release. The 24-70 II is much better coma-wise.

Is Coma performance particularly important for landscapes? Wide open, how about at f11?
[/quote]

Only for astrophotography. You don't want to stop down to f/11 as your photo will change from a 15-30 second photo at 2.8 to a 4-8 minute photo, and those bugger stars just don't hold still. I just got the Zeiss 21mm last week and took it with me to Moab to break it in. For an astrophotography landscape lens, I must say it is spectacular:

Moonlit Bridge by yorgasor, on Flickr

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
GMCPhotographics said:
Is Coma performance particularly important for landscapes? Wide open, how about at f11?
You got your answer already. If you had noticed I had mentioned astrophotography not landscapes in general...
yorgasor said:
I just got the Zeiss 21mm last week and took it with me to Moab to break it in. For an astrophotography landscape lens, I must say it is spectacular:
YES! it is exceptional for sharpness across the frame, low coma and hard stop at infinity :)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
yorgasor said:
GMCPhotographics said:
Random Orbits said:
I have the Zeiss 21mm too and I quite like it, especially for astrophotography (not much coma and hard stop at infinity). Now even "modern" Canon lenses exhibit coma like: 24mm 1.4L II 35mm 1.4L 16-35mm f/2.8L

I guessing that Canon's coma performance will be improved during the next round of release. The 24-70 II is much better coma-wise.

Only for astrophotography. You don't want to stop down to f/11 as your photo will change from a 15-30 second photo at 2.8 to a 4-8 minute photo, and those bugger stars just don't hold still. I just got the Zeiss 21mm last week and took it with me to Moab to break it in. For an astrophotography landscape lens, I must say it is spectacular:

Moonlit Bridge by yorgasor, on Flickr
[/quote]
MAGNIFICENT! ... all you prime lens guys are tempting me into getting these awesome wide angle prime lenses for my Sony a7

Upvote 0