cgarcia, a contributor over at the FredMiranda.com forums has done some initial tests on dynamic range from Canon's new 32.5mp image sensor. There is good news and better news from his findings.
cgarcia used sample images from DPReview to run the tests, and compared to the EOS 80D at base ISO's, there is a small improvement in dynamic range.
Canon EOS 90D ISO 100:
- DR at 32MP: 12.468
- DR at 8MP: 13.480 (+1.012)
- Read noise: 2.80125
Canon EOS 80D ISO 100:
- DR at 24MP: 12.435 EV
- DR at 8MP: 13.2343 (+0.7993)
- Read noise: 2.86601
However, the better news is that dynamic range at higher ISO shows a big improvement over the 24mp image sensor in the EOS 80D.
There will definitely be a lot more analysis of the new sensor in the coming months, but for all of the dynamic range junkies out there, there seems to be a solid improvement over the previous generation of APS-C sensors.
Preorder the Canon EOS 90D and Canon EOS M6 Mark II
- Canon EOS 90D Body $1199
- Canon EOS 90D w/18-55mm IS STM $1349
- Canon EOS 90D w/18-135mm IS STM $1599
- Canon EOS M6 Mark II Body $849
- Canon EOS M6 Mark II w/15-45mm IS STM & EVF-DC2 $1099
- Canon EOS M6 Mark II w/18-150mm f3.5-6.3 IS STM & EVF-DC2 $1349