Canon RF 35mm f/1.4L USM video features

Although I´m not in the market for this lens, I am hoping for a F1.2 aperture because the line-up will look like someone messed up :ROFLMAO:

85mm F1.2
50mm F1.2
35mm F1.4 :oops:

I´m always in favor of "corporate design" :)
Tipex is your OCD friend....:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've been using the Sigma Art 40mm f/1.4 for that rough focal range. It's probably the best Sigma Art prime they've made, and that's saying something. Even though it's big and heavy, and requires an adapter for RF, it would take something awfully bonkers-good to make me buy another 35mm-ish lens. Like f/1.2 with similar IQ as that of the Sigma.

Hanging their hat on video features makes me suspect it'll be geared to a different audience than mine. Not complaining, but just holding out for the real unicorn.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
I'm assuming optical image stabilization can be marketed as a video feature and no focus breathing would be another one. Traditional mechanical focus would be a third, but I find it unlikely.
Maybe a method (switch or custom function) to enable linear (manual) focussing for video. Or focus gear on the focus ring.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Sony 35m f1.4 is 524g
Sigma 35mm f1.2 is 1090g.
Canon may think it is 2 markets and doesn't want to waste time to catch Nikon 35mf1.2.
They can release 1.4 first and release f1.2 after Nikon.
If Nikon didn't announce f1.2 last year, Canon may not change the plan.
The selling from Ef35mm f1.4 must be very great st that time!
I don’t think weight is a particular consideration here, the RF 50L is 950g and the RF 85L is 1195g. A 1 kg 35mm f/1.2L will fit right in.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I've been using the Sigma Art 40mm f/1.4 for that rough focal range. It's probably the best Sigma Art prime they've made, and that's saying something.
Agreed; pretty big and heavy, but the pictures are amazing, you immediately forget any size/weight concern. I also recently acquired the 105 1.4 Art, now the 40 feels like a feather :-D

Upvote 0
If it ain't 1.2 its a no go for me.
Exactly. I already have EF 351.4 Mark II. Amazing lens and not that big so even though I have a permanent adapter on it, it's really a pretty tight setup. They need to do something more than put stupid video features in the lens for me to upgrade

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
On one hand I will be a little bit disappointed if it's not an f1.2- I mean why not take full advantage of the new lens mount and design something that we've not had in the EF world? The EF 35L 1.4II is already a fantastic lens but being able to deliver the same FL in such a wide aperture will truly be groundbreaking, like the RF 28-70 F2 when it first came out.

On the other hand, if it is a video oriented f1.4 with hardly any focus breathing to correct, great IS, and is about the same size as the EF 35L 1.4II then I think it holds open the possibility of Canon still delivering an RF 35 with an f1.2 aperture in the future. The lineup can be 1.4s in a smaller format for video/hybrid work while you have the f1.2's to deliver the best optical stills performance.

Canon has had six years with the RF mount plus the several since the EF 35L 1.4II dropped to find a way to deliver a better lens than the one its replacing. I think they nailed the brief with the RF 50 and 85 1.2's- so it will be a bit of a downer if they essentially just release the same lens in the same aperture just with a new mount.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
On the other hand, if it is a video oriented f1.4 with hardly any focus breathing to correct, great IS, and is about the same size as the EF 35L 1.4II then I think it holds open the possibility of Canon still delivering an RF 35 with an f1.2 aperture in the future.
I don't think there are any rumors saying that the RF 35L will come with IS, and as someone who doesn't do video I don't really care about focus breathing. If the lens comes out as rumored as a f/1.4 non-IS with some video centric features, then I think it would be a hard ask for me to upgrade from the excellent EF 35L II.

Upvote 0
I don't think there are any rumors saying that the RF 35L will come with IS, and as someone who doesn't do video I don't really care about focus breathing. If the lens comes out as rumored as a f/1.4 non-IS with some video centric features, then I think it would be a hard ask for me to upgrade from the excellent EF 35L II.
Well.. when I think "video features" what comes to mind is lens based IS to complement the IBIS. Focus breathing correction or compensation is also one other thing that I know is pretty major and was the reason I went with the RF24-70 over the much more optically superior FR28-70. Since it doesn't zoom then I doubt there'd be anything to add there, and Canon probably won't add a clicky/non-clicky aperture ring or humungous focus ring to this.

What other "video features" could Canon possibly add which won't get in the way of stills shooters aside from IS and corrected focus breathing or a smaller size/weight to help with gimbal stabilisation?

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Well.. when I think "video features" what comes to mind is lens based IS to complement the IBIS. Focus breathing correction or compensation is also one other thing that I know is pretty major and was the reason I went with the RF24-70 over the much more optically superior FR28-70. Since it doesn't zoom then I doubt there'd be anything to add there, and Canon probably won't add a clicky/non-clicky aperture ring or humungous focus ring to this.

What other "video features" could Canon possibly add which won't get in the way of stills shooters aside from IS and corrected focus breathing or a smaller size/weight to help with gimbal stabilisation?
The report about the rumor specifically mentions that it has something to do with the autofocus. Specifically that “there will be new ways to use autofocus and manual focus on the upcoming prime.”

Whatever it is, it doesn’t sound relevant to a stills photographer like me.

Upvote 0

Snapster

EOS R5
Nov 28, 2022
I don't shoot video on Canon so I really don't care about focus breathing, manually focusing or giant lenses that provide theoretical IQ benefits. I can easily live without IS on portrait focal lengths. Canon's lens strategy doesn't really seem to align with my needs at all.

At this point I'd just be happy with the Sigma 35/50/85 1.4 DG DN's on RF.

Upvote 0

AUGS

CR Pro
Feb 13, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I wonder if the R5 will get an update to support all of the video focusing features of this lens?
I have a suspicion that the latest R5 software update to 2.0.0 was a potential rewrite of functions/features/software libraries for the R5m2, but it may also allow for these types of suggestions to happen as new lenses are released.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
how different would a RF version of the CN-E 34mm/1.4 be?
Adding IS but removing what??
The CN-E is based on the EF lens, so I assume the RF lens will be a different optical design. Still not convinced that there will be IS on this lens.
I can easily live without IS on portrait focal lengths.
Yeah, especially since IBIS works so well on focal lengths between 24 and 100mm.
At this point I'd just be happy with the Sigma 35/50/85 1.4 DG DN's on RF.
Yeah, the Art DG DN lenses are great lens line-up, and Sigma has as many f/1.2 lenses (35, 50) as Canon now (50, 85). Surely Canon can't let that stand, can they? :p

Upvote 0