Canon RF 35mm f/1.4L USM video features

it's really unnecessary, expensive, and adds a lot of weight and bulk to make a 35mm a 1.2 instead of 1.4.
35 is not as much of a buttery DOF lens as 50 or 85, it's a wide, so 1.4 is plenty, even for astro. I'd rather save $1000 and 500g of weight.
The fact that it’s not as buttery as a 50 or 85 is exactly why i want at least a 1.2 (I’d buy a 35mm f1.0 if it were available) I’ve been waiting to upgrade from my 35mm 1.4L II forever. I’m still holding out hope that it will be 1.2 since nothing is official yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
@roby17269 does the rumoured f/1.4 fit your use case?
I do not do much video, so no.
If they do release a 1.4 I will not buy it.
I won't pout (not too much) but voting with my wallet is all I can do so that is what I will do

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Did we not have a Rumor saying: Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM Confirmed for 2024 [C3]
A confirmed rumor is not the same as a confirmed fact.
It is still a rumor until the product is announced.
I never understand why Canon Rumors apologizes when they get rumors wrong.
That is the nature of rumors.
Getting news wrong warrants an apology.

Upvote 0
Depends on what you shoot. I’m a portrait photographer that shoots 35mm portraits on location and crops to a 16/9 ratio and would like to utilize the extra 1/3 stop.

I'm confused. You want to shoot environmental portraiture, but also want to blur the environment away?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Focus breathing benefits photography to as the magnification is not constantly changing.
I don’t think the EF 35L II has particularly egregious focus breathing though — there is a bit but really not that noticeable in real world use. The CN-E also uses the same optical formula as the EF, so Canon thinks it is acceptable for video use as well.

Maybe the RF can make it a bit better, but it is also not a lens that I pick up for close up macro work, so it really isn’t that relevant to me I think.

Upvote 0
Focus breathing benefits photography to as the magnification is not constantly changing.
It's not an issue for Photographers, unless one is focus stacking. Otherwise...it's a non issue. Especially when shot wide open at f1.4 for documentary style B&W portraiture.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I hope it's a RF 35mm 1.4 instead of 1.2 I have the RF 50mm 1.2 and the RF 85mm 1.2 and although they are great, the weight on them sucks and makes it not fun to shoot with. Also, the 1.2 primes focus slower for video compared to my RF 24-70mm 2.8. The cheap 1.8 stm primes are a joke. They have slow auto focus for video and struggle in low light for both video and photos. I think Canon needs to come out with a set of 1.4 primes that lack focus breathing and are great for photos while being lighter than 1.2 primes. I would sell my 1.2 primes in a heart beat for 1.4 primes. I'm hoping the 35mm 1.4 similar in size to the Sony GM 35mm 1.4 and the 50mm 1.4 GM.

Upvote 0