Today i officially felt left behind with being a Canon shooter

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
It is not "radical new technology".

I heard the same about "the entire market focus is shifting over to" APS film 20 years ago. Turned out to be a fad.

They said that Digital would never replace film either. So what we "heard" has no bearing on this particular case.

Mirrorless cameras will replace DSLRs because they will, eventually, do everything that a DSLR can do, but better, and a whole lot more. Building duplicate complex AF systems (one for live view, one for mirror shooting) is complex and expensive. I'm sure there will be a 1DX III, 5DV etc in the DSLR lineup, but you won't see a 5D Mark 6 DSLR, I think we can pretty much guarantee it. Time is up for the DSLR.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
They said that Digital would never replace film either. So what we "heard" has no bearing on this particular case.

...Time is up for the DSLR.

Time from launch of consumer-level DSLRs to the end of Kodachrome – 9 years. Time since the launch of popular MILCs – 10 years.

The prediction was that time would be up for the DSLR in 5 years...back in 2012. I guess we missed it.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Halifax Citadel at noon?

That's what it reminded me of. I confirmed by looking at my own shots:

IMG_2555.jpg

Other shots are posted here, including a proverbial deck chair from the Titanic.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
They said that Digital would never replace film either.
Who were those "they"? Do you know any actual person who would say so?

(Digital still haven't fully replaced film, by the way. For example, a lot of dentists still use film for x-rays, because it works just fine.)

Mirrorless cameras will replace DSLRs because they will, eventually,
Eventually, we will all die.

Building duplicate complex AF systems (one for live view, one for mirror shooting) is complex and expensive.
And lucrative.

I'm sure there will be a 1DX III, 5DV etc in the DSLR lineup, but you won't see a 5D Mark 6 DSLR, I think we can pretty much guarantee it.
That's easy to guarantee, as "mark 6" would be a stupid name anyway. Still, we may see EOS 3D and EOS 3D mark II.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Time from launch of consumer-level DSLRs to the end of Kodachrome – 9 years. Time since the launch of popular MILCs – 10 years.

The prediction was that time would be up for the DSLR in 5 years...back in 2012. I guess we missed it.

yes. Had customers been given free choice between mirrorfree and mirrorslapper from the time when first Sony A7 appeared [2013] also by Canon and Nikon, then mirrorslappers would already be a thing of the past, except maybe a final goodbye round of Nikon D5 / Canon 1DX successors. But Nikon and Canon managed to block and stall things and sell 3 more marginal iterations of mirrorslappers to customers. Luckily they are paying a price for it. Less and less customers have been willing to fall for it. Most are smarter than Canon and Nikon together and switched to Sony or just have held off buying slappers and legacy lenses. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
yes. Had customers been given free choice between mirrorfree and mirrorslapper from the time when first Sony A7 appeared [2013] also by Canon and Nikon, then mirrorslappers would already be a thing of the past, except maybe a final goodbye round of Nikon D5 / Canon 1DX successors. But Nikon and Canon managed to block and stall things and sell 3 more marginal iterations of mirrorslappers to customers. Luckily they are paying a price for it. Less and less customers have been willing to fall for it. Most are smarter than Canon and Nikon together and switched to Sony or just have held off buying slappers and legacy lenses. :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
And the lizard people rule the world from their base under the Antarctic ice cap.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Hi There
I'm a Canon shooter since ages and no - Canon is not doomed ;-) I have a number of professional bodies from Canon and a lot of L lenses and also recently purchased a m50.
I also have to say i still love the Canon lenses, the ergonomics of the bodies, DPAF (well i don't do a lot of video other than just for fun) the wifi implementation - the last 2 sucks on Nikon or are just not existent.
Also for various reasons until very lately i would never consider to move on to Sony (ergonomics,lenses,....) and thanks to Nikon with the z6/z7 i now dont need to think about switching to Sony anyway. ( i would rather switch to NIkon but i dont want to)
BUT today with the z6/z7 i really feel left behind. Why ?
In the DSLR line of products i think Nikons current models really are ahead compared to the Canon models, the D850 is better than my 5DM4/5DsR (i love my 5Dsr but still ...) , the D500 ist better than the 7DMII (which i owned and i tested the D500) even the D7500 (with some "issues like only 1 card and not grip option) is better than the 80D (i've tested them both - except video AF and Wifi as said before). Only the D5/1DX MII are probably on par.

If i had nothing and wanted a DSLR - i would go for a D850, a APS-C affordable sports camera - i would pick the D500 and a small carry around every day Dslr - the D7500 or even D5600.
And instead i would like to go mirrorless - i would pick the Z6 and a D850 as a combo.

I don't want to change but please Canon respond quickly and do it right in terms of features and price. Please. Give us a great FF mirrorless that has 2 card slots and eye-AF , a great sensor and a good EF adapater and a nice line up of original lenses at the beginning , 10fps, good grip/handling/weather sealed - even steal from z6/z7 body if required ;-) like the battery compatibility between Dslr and mirrorless camera. Also give us a 90D that is better than the rest of the market (and make it without AA filter please) and give us a 5DM5 that is on par or better than the D850. Please. At least tell us when we will get it so i don't have to switch early in 2019. Please.

Upvote 0
Yeah, yeah, yeah.
And the lizard people rule the world from their base under the Antarctic ice cap.

Seriously? Everyone knows the lizard people are not able to survive in that cold environment. They are reptiles.

Do some research before you submit made up facts, it is well established that the Reptilians control most of the world governments.
The only thing under Antarctica is a UFO base discovered by the Nazi's.

Upvote 0
I've had SD cards fail, CF cards fail, SD cards physically break (including, annoyingly, a Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB where a piece of plastic broke off the front of the card and it now won't fit into the card slot properly - I am going to try and hack it back to life.), and CF slots break (pins bent or snapping off)

Considering the low cost of memory these days, wouldn't it be sensible if instead of a dual card system cameras came with some reasonable amount (32GB/64GB/128GB) of high speed flash memory built-in and a single card slot as a backup/expansion?

Just connect the camera via USB to export images as normal. It also means you could never take your camera out and forget to bring a card with you. Also, by using direct memory and avoiding any card interface you should be able to get very fast performance.

Downloading directly from the camera using USB isn't always a good option. Sports shooters at events that don't have a dedicated WiFi setup sometimes need to send their memory cards from each event in with a runner to be downloaded, edited, and posted while the shooter and camera remain on the field.

Upvote 0
Canon is too stodgy and conservative. They have missed out on the mirrorless market. Canon has never been a leader in innovation. Just look at what that little upstart Fuji has done in the same amount of time Canon has been fiddling with their M line. Canon's cachet is great lenses and , rugged, dependable bodies. It looks like they are sticking with that approach. They will still be producing DSLR's was after other company's have abandoned them.

Upvote 0
It's rubbish at high speed bursts: 9 fps but the focus is locked after the first frame and you are getting AF at every frame only at 5.5 fps.- that's only 0.5 fps faster than a 5DS. Sony is streets ahead: R10 IV, 24 fps; A9 20 fps; and A7RIII 10 fps, with AF between each shot. Also, there is no means of toggling between different AF modes as you can with Sony. The Z7 might be enough to keep Nikon users on board but it is second rate. Let's hope Canon can do better.
The focus is not locked, only the exposure...still it sucks compared to my A9....but nothing will touch the A9 for a long time...likely never as an A9II will come out for the Olympics and CaNikon may not even want to target that market of sports/action/wildlife for a long while (if ever)....

Upvote 0
I only kind of feel behind with the announcement of 500 f/5.6 defractive optics lens at 3600. I do have the 400 DO II which is FANTASTIC but I do not feel confident with the 1.4XIII with it. I would like to have access to a longer DO lens. I have read about 600 DO f/4 a couple of years ago but that lens would weigh a lot more than 400 DO (obviously) and it would have a rather big (600/4 = 15cm+ construction) front element. A 600 5.5 DO lens would be more practical. It would be the perfect birding lens. Anything else is satisfying for me (5D4, 5DsR, white lenses, UWA, etc)

Why no confidence in the 1.4TC on the 400DOII? I can't even notice an AF or IQ difference using mine....with the 2xTC I also get amazing IQ and only a slight drop in AF effectiveness....curious to know what problems you are having with the 1.4 on your DOII?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
IBIS, completely silent shooting options, and short flange distances to allow you to adapt to many different lenses. You might not benefit from some of these options, but there's many people who value these options.

IBIS has nothing to do with mirrorless, that's a red herring, it can be in any camera. Short flangeback distances cause big light fall off issues at the edges of the sensor that is difficult to correct. Canon DSLR's have silent shooting if you know how to use it.

I suspect that the percentage of people using older manual focus and manual aperture lenses on a high mp camera will be few, particularly if they are aware of the poor resolution performance.

Nikon proved this with the failed DF.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
reported. It appears you are consciously attacking any of my postings with a totally off-topic attack and/or lame attempts to mock and ridicule it.

If you keep making the same claims are people not allowed to refute them? Even with a bit more variety than you claims show?

You do keep on coming up with these daft conspiracy theories, largely based on the idea of camera manufacturers being able to predict future developments and big corporations deliberately blocking them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I wanted to give my view on all of this Z, mirrorless, DSLR...etc...

My fairly unbiased experience is based on this transition through the various systems....diehard Canon shooter from 2009 till 2015....still own some big glass...at one point had 6 Canon bodies in my house and even more big whites....bought a D500/200-500 in 2015 to try it out and shot it off and on alongside my Canon kit. I believe the D500 is far superior to the 7D2...but I continued to use my 5D4, 1DX, 1DX2 a lot while owning the D500 for the first year. In 2017 I started selling off more of my Canon kit and started to slowly expand my Nikon kit as I just found AF for fast, small BIF to be superior and was getting shots easier than with my Canon stuff. Bought 300PF, bought D850, downsized Canon eventually to just 1DX2 and 400DOII, 600II, 100-400II (and kept my normal/wide zooms..see sig). Then I got to try the A9 and A7R3 in April in Florida with my buddy who brought them on the trip and let me shoot them as much as I wanted...we rented the 500/4 Sigma and MC-11 and used the 100-400GM with both TCs as needed. I was very impressed by the A9...especially the e-shutter, blackout free, lag free, distortion free, and dead silence if you so choose....also very impressed with the AF and found it probably at least as good as Nikon and maybe better. Wasn't sure if I wanted to invest in the rather expensive A9/100-400GM when I returned home but just then found a local selling the whole kit (A9/100-400Gm/1.4TC) for a very reasonable price. Jumped on it and after more and more time found the A9 AF was a superior system in most situations to the Nikon and surely all situations to my Canons. I also could not get on with the A7R3's EVF experience with lag, blackout and difficult to track a BIF. Added a 500/4 E FL Nikon and sold my last Canon body and the 100-400II.

There are a lot of great systems out there and Canon is not totally lost...the 1DX/1DX2 is still an amazing piece of kit....actual AF speed is still faster on the Canon bodies but unfortunately the AF consistency is not up to Nikon or especially Sony A9 levels (the A9 is uncanny how many tack sharp shots you get....way too many if you shoot 20FPS...which is why I mainly keep it at 10FPS). Ergonomics is an issue with the A9...my fingers don't get pinched by the GM lens as they are rather long and on the skinny side but an unsupported pinky requires the battery grip but once the grip is on the ergo is really good for this small of a camera and I'm comfortable for an entire day. Without the grip or a plate I get finger/hand cramping fairly quickly with the big lens and also with smaller Canon adapted lenses. The Eye-Af on Sony is really amazing and I only use it with adapted 24-70/4IS and 16-35/4IS Canon lenses and still it grabs my nephews and nieces in tack sharp shots all the time. Adapted 400DOII works well for static shots and even for flight against sky but if you are way out of intended focus range it isn't pretty to get back to focus...prefocus in the range is needed. However once in the range it can track a bird bouncing around on a branch and nail tack sharp shot after shot just like the native 100-400GM.

These Nikon Z cameras are not for my intended use...they have some pros over Sony A7 series like ergo in the grip and availability of the F-mount lineup but they are of course more akin to the A7 and not A9 (as I always expected before release). However, they are lacking stuff compared to the Sony A7 already like Eye-AF, buffer, battery life (still to be determined and surprising since they take the D500/D850 battery), and AF at higher FPS has limitations...also in early FW the buttons aren't very customizable...unlike the D500/D850/D5 you can't have other AF modes/AF-On on other back buttons (like joystick push)...that is disappointing.

Unfortunately I had much higher expectation for the Z release and I really don't have much hope that Canon is even going to match the Z release and surely not come anywhere near the A7 series or of course the A9.

Therefore I'm buying a Nikon 500 f/5.6 PF as I love my 300PF but always have TCs stuck on it....I'm going to hold onto my 400DOII/600II and my zooms to see what may come out but my patience is running thin and if more cool gear comes out from Nikon and/or Sony I may start selling the Canon big guns to fund other stuff....PLEASE CANON...wake up and make us proud to be Canon shooters as I was back in 2012 when I got my 600II....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0