Today i officially felt left behind with being a Canon shooter

Hi There
I'm a Canon shooter since ages and no - Canon is not doomed ;-) I have a number of professional bodies from Canon and a lot of L lenses and also recently purchased a m50.
I also have to say i still love the Canon lenses, the ergonomics of the bodies, DPAF (well i don't do a lot of video other than just for fun) the wifi implementation - the last 2 sucks on Nikon or are just not existent.
Also for various reasons until very lately i would never consider to move on to Sony (ergonomics,lenses,....) and thanks to Nikon with the z6/z7 i now dont need to think about switching to Sony anyway. ( i would rather switch to NIkon but i dont want to)
BUT today with the z6/z7 i really feel left behind. Why ?
In the DSLR line of products i think Nikons current models really are ahead compared to the Canon models, the D850 is better than my 5DM4/5DsR (i love my 5Dsr but still ...) , the D500 ist better than the 7DMII (which i owned and i tested the D500) even the D7500 (with some "issues like only 1 card and not grip option) is better than the 80D (i've tested them both - except video AF and Wifi as said before). Only the D5/1DX MII are probably on par.

If i had nothing and wanted a DSLR - i would go for a D850, a APS-C affordable sports camera - i would pick the D500 and a small carry around every day Dslr - the D7500 or even D5600.
And instead i would like to go mirrorless - i would pick the Z6 and a D850 as a combo.

I don't want to change but please Canon respond quickly and do it right in terms of features and price. Please. Give us a great FF mirrorless that has 2 card slots and eye-AF , a great sensor and a good EF adapater and a nice line up of original lenses at the beginning , 10fps, good grip/handling/weather sealed - even steal from z6/z7 body if required ;-) like the battery compatibility between Dslr and mirrorless camera. Also give us a 90D that is better than the rest of the market (and make it without AA filter please) and give us a 5DM5 that is on par or better than the D850. Please. At least tell us when we will get it so i don't have to switch early in 2019. Please.

Apr 1, 2016
I think a lot of Nikon shooters feel a bit bummed you're paying lots of money for just one card slot ;). Not a deal breaker for anyone though. I am a bit more worried about the fact the continuous focus on the new Nikons seems to be a bit puzzling and lacking, according to DPreview's initial impressions. We'll see how the real world reviews turn out.

Upvote 0
I think a lot of Nikon shooters feel a bit bummed you're paying lots of money for just one card slot ;). Not a deal breaker for anyone though. I am a bit more worried about the fact the continuous focus on the new Nikons seems to be a bit puzzling and lacking, according to DPreview's initial impressions. We'll see how the real world reviews turn out.
my problem really is that i dont care for the Nikon problems they might have - i just want a product from Canon that compete's (and is better hopefully) Yep, it should have 2 cards as an example.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
BUT today with the z6/z7 i really feel left behind. Why ?
In the DSLR line of products i think Nikons current models really are ahead compared to the Canon models, the D850 is better than my 5DM4/5DsR (i love my 5Dsr but still ...) , the D500 ist better than the 7DMII (which i owned and i tested the D500) even the D7500 (with some "issues like only 1 card and not grip option) is better than the 80D (i've tested them both - except video AF and Wifi as said before). Only the D5/1DX MII are probably on par.

If i had nothing and wanted a DSLR - i would go for a D850, a APS-C affordable sports camera - i would pick the D500 and a small carry around every day Dslr - the D7500 or even D5600.
And instead i would like to go mirrorless - i would pick the Z6 and a D850 as a combo.
Sit tight - it actually a good thing that Nikon has announced first. Canon and Nikon have a bit of a habit of releasing competing full frame cameras close together - and whichever one announces first always seems to get trumped by the second. Remember when Nikon launched the D700, and then a couple of weeks later Canon presented the 5D2. Then skip forward a few years, and Canon announced the 5D3 just before Nikon's D800. If Canon has the confidence to let Nikon go first, it suggests they might have something up their sleeve....
Or maybe they are just doomed.

The D850 is certinally the best full frame camera on the market today (maybe about to be matched by the Z7) - but neither camera is such a step ahead of the 5D4 and 5DS that we need to panic about it. The camera manufactures are always leapfrogging each other.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I was an early adopter of Olympus 4/3rds and then m4/3ds. Sure the sensor size is tiny but so are the cameras, but I bought into the system primarily because of the perceived benefits of 3 and then 5 axis in body stabilisation, for the increased AF points and the fast burst rates. But actually they didn't create better photos as a result and I was not expecting them to so but make life easier, it was a false god.. Sure the weight saving is significant but the results have always been inferior to APS-C or FF cameras. I have been invested into Canon for over 45 years firstly with FD glass and then with EF (I still use the EF 28mm f2.8 I bought in 1988). The 5Ds produces such detailed shots that are hard to beat, sure dynamic range is beaten elsewhere but correctly exposed, focus and composition I defy anyone to suggest any FF mirrorless camera will produce something outstandingly better to completely dump DSLRS & current L lenses for a completely new system that will be very expensive over time to change to. The other point is barring a few exceptions most lenses will not become lighter or smaller if you want fast lenses that are able to resolve up to 120MP. In fact lenses will get more expensive to do so and for the majority this is pointless if you never print larger than A3 or view everything on a large monitor, even if its 5K (Apple iMac). Emperor New Clothes?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
OK.

My problem with one slot is the fact that Nikon is clearly aiming towards pros considering the pricetag. One card will simply not cut it.

How many card failure have you had? In our professional cameras the CFast cards have had a high failure rate, the SD cards almost never. I cannot speak about the card Nikon will use but Sony media cards are generally of a very high standard and unless the Z6 / Z7 are being used for lots of uncompressed 4K video I doubt most people will ever have an issue if they are handled properly.

Upvote 0
OP - I don't understand how you can feel like that without even having seen or tried one of these z'ds?
They may be the best thing since sliced bread but I'd want to taste it first.
Well i tested or owned almost all of the cameras i've mentioned in the thread but how should i be abe to have my hands on a z6 today ? Still i can look at images / view videos and read specs to understand whether this is an interesting camera or not. I would have no problem to sit and wait a while longer and I will most probably never move over completely to another brand (due to my L lenses)- as long as i get some near/mid-term roadmap that sounds interesting/impressive from Canon.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I've had SD cards fail, CF cards fail, SD cards physically break (including, annoyingly, a Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB where a piece of plastic broke off the front of the card and it now won't fit into the card slot properly - I am going to try and hack it back to life.), and CF slots break (pins bent or snapping off)

Considering the low cost of memory these days, wouldn't it be sensible if instead of a dual card system cameras came with some reasonable amount (32GB/64GB/128GB) of high speed flash memory built-in and a single card slot as a backup/expansion?

Just connect the camera via USB to export images as normal. It also means you could never take your camera out and forget to bring a card with you. Also, by using direct memory and avoiding any card interface you should be able to get very fast performance.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0