Today i officially felt left behind with being a Canon shooter

Apr 25, 2011
Maybe I’m mistaken about how it works, but I know that with my a7rii (and the iii I rented) the camera would often lose the eye but then default back to the face.
I don't think you can reliably focus exactly on an eye unless you have a PDAF autofocus point placed exactly over the eye.

Might be possible with DPAF, though.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I don't think you can reliably focus exactly on an eye unless you have a PDAF autofocus point placed exactly over the eye.

Might be possible with DPAF, though.

I thought it used subject recognition (i.e., a humanoid face), and then with pattern analysis picked the AF sensitive area closest to the eye.

There is no reason other types of faces couldn’t be programmed, but I didn’t know the 5DS could recognize a bird eye.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I thought it used subject recognition (i.e., a humanoid face), and then with pattern recognition picked the AF sensitive area closest to the eye.
If I'd designed it, it would be much more complicated (and likely never finished. Anyway, it would be something like AvTvM wants, but he would need to replace the batteries and put the camera into a beer cooler after every second shot).

It doesn't look like there are that many AF sensitive areas even on a Sony sensor. It might easily grab the brow, for example.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
BUT today with the z6/z7 i really feel left behind. Why ?
In the DSLR line of products i think Nikons current models really are ahead compared to the Canon models, the D850 is better than my 5DM4/5DsR (i love my 5Dsr but still ...) , the D500 ist better than the 7DMII (which i owned and i tested the D500) even the D7500 (with some "issues like only 1 card and not grip option) is better than the 80D (i've tested them both - except video AF and Wifi as said before). Only the D5/1DX MII are probably on par.

If i had nothing and wanted a DSLR - i would go for a D850, a APS-C affordable sports camera - i would pick the D500 and a small carry around every day Dslr - the D7500 or even D5600.
And instead i would like to go mirrorless - i would pick the Z6 and a D850 as a combo.

Ahhhh Grasshopper. It is not a question of which camera is better than which camera. The question is whether you, Grasshopper, are as good or better than the camera.

Ponder that for a while, while you try to catch up after feeling left behind. ::)

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
nope, not even then. not enough resolution.
The current resolution is about 500x300, but it is not a problem to increase it further.

The real problem is that it reads the image from the focusing screen, which means that the focusing screen needs to be somewhat modified in order for the DPAF to work.

Or the "legacy" AF sensor at the bottom of the mirrorbox needs to be made distributed DPAF-style.

repeat after me: mirror in lightpath is always a problem, not a solution. :)
But that's simply not true. A mirror, as well as a lens, in the light path is a solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
rather than fanbois apologizing camera makers shortcomkngs, se all should push them hard and demand "state of the art" tech from them.

Maybe it would be more a productive use of a user's time to learn how to get the best out of what he shoots with now, rather than continually to expect manufacturers to come up with miracle cameras that make up for his shortcomings as a photographer?

Oh - and for what feels like the millionth bloody time: being satisfied with a camera or a brand does not make someone a fanboi apologist.

Getting more than a little tired of that crap...

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
The meaning didn’t change.
Canon calls the function Spokane mentioned “Eye Controlled Focus,” not “Eye Detection AF” or “Eye AF,” which are the Canon and Sony terms, respectively, for the function you described.

Eye Controlled Focus is an obsolete technology that Canon used two decades ago. For cameras with three or five focus points it worked pretty well, but I'm sure it would be chaotic on modern systems. If it could work properly with modern spread of focus points then you'd bet that at least one of the manufacturers out there would implement it - especially as the initial patents must have expired by now.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
That's not true: just replace the AE sensor with one with DPAF.

Even if this was possible, which I doubt, I can't see any of the major companies investing in radical new technology for DSLR cameras now when it's clear the entire market focus is shifting over to mirrorless.

Upvote 0
thar's what we are talking about. mirrorslapper phase-af won't be able to auto-detect an eye and focus it. only possible in live view/mirrorfree - any AF would do (eg Sony hybrid AF can do the trick), so DPAF no prerequisite - but probably advantageous.

Except that Canon (and maybe Nikon too?) can track faces in mirrorslapper mode (using the metering sensor to detect the faces and work in conjunction with the AF system). Its not in every camera, but the 5D4 has this feature.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I can't see any of the major companies investing in radical new technology for DSLR cameras now
It is not "radical new technology".

when it's clear the entire market focus is shifting over to mirrorless.
I heard the same about "the entire market focus is shifting over to" APS film 20 years ago. Turned out to be a fad.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
It's probably healthy that there is a diverse range of opinions in this forum.
It certainly broadens the mind.
Some are too quick to dismiss others opinions.
I like to consider at least "perhaps its true".
I think YKN123 is not alone in his sentiments.
The current gear is really very good. Alot of people are possibly not old enough to remember the original DSLRs.
While amazing for their time alot of the earlier ones were just not as good as film.
However all modern cameras micro 4/3 to Full Frame are pretty impressive performers.
The lens quality has jumped up incredibly too. I am a partial Olympus and Fuji user and they really can make very nice compact lens.
Really its probably the photographers fault if they can't produce in 95% of instances a sharp and well exposed photographs.
If you are a very serious photographer you do run into those 5% of occasions where you are going beyond the limit of the camera's abilities and wish it could do it.
Mirrorless can bridge some of those gaps.
I'm not sure how more silent a mirrored camera can be but a mirrorless can be impressively silent.
I'm not sure we've reached the physical limit of FPS with the 1DX II but it must be close to the limit.
Sony have their A9 up to 20FPS in times more is likely to be possible.
Like all great empires Canon will some day crumble because it will be unable to innovate further. It won't be for a while but in time its inevitable.
What Canon tries to do with its business model is to postpone that date as far into the future as possible.
There is only a diminishing market in products that don't significantly upgrade (but still a potentially profitable one for a time).
For Canon to move people like me to buy a new Canon camera it has to pass a pretty high bar.
But move people like me it has to and win newer customers to its brand and lens family. Its got to keep selling new items.
Canon have waited with mirrorless and a lot of us hope that's because they want to perfect it and make it really good.
The risk I see for Canon is if the cameras are a bit of a let down there will be many more YKN123's looking elsewhere for their next camera.
What starts as a trickle can turn to a flood reasonably quickly.
The fact Canon has such a loyal customer base they may get two bites at the cherry but maybe not much more than that.
If mirrorless is the future for Canon a replacement for the 1DX II needs to wow to maintain their presence on the sidelines of sporting events.
Iconic sporting images taken with a future Canon I DX mirrorless is a very powerful selling tool.
Most beginners don't know which camera is better than the other but they know the Canon logo from seeing the best photographers using them.
It will be fascinating here to see the reaction to Canon's announcement on mirrorless.
It won't reflect the market as a whole but I think it will be a leading indicator of what happens next for Canon.

Upvote 0