The Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM confirmed again

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have been talking about the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM coming to the EOS M lineup for most of 2018, and it looks like the announcement is right around the corner. We expect to see it announced on September 5, 2018 alongside a slew of other new Canon products
Nokishita has further confirmed the lens via Twitter.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
so, no IS ? looking at rumored product name

ah yes ... and why should a f/1.4 APS-C crop "normal FOV" lens cost more than 199 bucks?

because there's no competition :p
And because Canon can estimate the "market price" better than you, meaning the average price consumers are willing to pay for such a lens.

Upvote 0
I updated my original M to an M50 a month and a half ago to get ready for my first trip to Europe (London, then Catelonia, Aragon, Euskal Harria, Cantebaria and Galicia Spain!) I now have 5 EF-M lenses and will likely bring therm all as they are the best thing I can find for a relatively compact kit. I've been contemplating using the EF/EF-M adapter to bring something else from my EF lenses but; every time I think about that, I've ended up buying a new EF-M lens.

Too bad this lens will miss the trip.

(I'm not going to whine about missing lenses but wish there was a 1.4x extender for EF-M to give a few more permutations to the existing ones.)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Seeing as this is a consumer-grade APS-C lens I think we'd all be astonished if it's more than $500. I'm thinking $350-$400 range max.

Good guess. It could climb in value depending on build, if it has the fancy multi-purpose distance scale, possibly weather sealing for a fancier M5 II (or new 7D-level class of mirrorless) yet to come.

For sanity on the high end: priciest thing currently offered with STM = $599, and that's a FF 24-105.

For sanity on the low end: the cheapest f/1.4 Canon made lens is of course the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM at $329. It's of course the only f/1.4 lens Canon sells that isn't an L and doesn't cost more than $1500. (However an EF-M could conceivably come in under that $329 figure as it doesn't need to cover an FF image circle.)

So if it's [STM] + [no IS], $300-500 seems about right.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
so, no IS ? looking at rumored product name

ah yes ... and why should a f/1.4 APS-C crop "normal FOV" lens cost more than 199 bucks?

Maybe it's not a simple double gauss, which should get some folks very excited. I'm not saying it'll be some crop Art pickle jar, but perhaps Canon gets brave here.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Anyone here think we'll get a Canon EF-M 50mm F/1.4 IS STM sometime soon? Personally I think that would be a killer portrait lens.

(Someone will correct me on the statements below, but I blame Keith's wife's great chart as a reference)

In 14 years of EF-S lenses, there have been precisely zero EF-S primes that were not either macro or pancake lenses (which take lovely shots but sometimes aren't the quickest focusing or largest aperture).

EF-S has had zero lenses faster than f/2.8 in it's entire history I believe, and EF-M only has the f/2 pancake on that front.

So this lens is a massive first for Canon, and I'd peg it as a careful experiment. If it takes off (and I think it might), we could see a small Fujification of the brand -- perhaps a 53mm f/1.8 STM for an 85mm FF equivalent might follow. Maybe a 15 f/2 STM for the astro crowd. Who knows?

So what does that mean for your question? This lens will not get updated or one-upped by an IS version for very very very long time, IMHO. Think a decade -- if at all. If you need a first party 50 prime equivalent for EF-M, surely this is your bus and you need to get on it.

Wait for Neuro's review, if there's any doubt. Or consider popping into a store to try it out on your EOS M body. But were I shooting an EF-M body, I'd be button mashing to pre-order this on day one.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I now have 5 EF-M lenses and will likely bring therm all...
Make that 6 EF-M lenses. I just saw TDP's post about the 15% off on eBay (PREGAME15) and ordered the 28mm Macro from Adora**. I'm "only" missing the 18-150mm now.

The total setup is just under $2k, given well timed purchases, which I think that is a steal for so much capability.

Upvote 0