Is the new Canon full frame mirrorless called the EOS R?

Nov 2, 2016
I’m curious as to what percentage of still camera users really shoot video with it. Sure, on forums we encounter people who do, or say they do, more than what most users do. But if they sell 250,000 cameras in a model, how many of those does it take for the manufacturer to believe they have to accommodate them? And further than that, what subset of these who do shoot video, shoot anything other than at the standard speed? Surely, that’s an even smaller number.

I don’t buy still cameras for video. In fact, these days, I rarely shoot video on anything other than my iPhone. Yes, go ahead and cringe at that, if you will. But after my daughter graduated from high school, I don’t find the need for big cameras and lenses for my video needs (and to be honest, despite my 5DmkIV, and good selection of lenses), I use my iPhone for most of my photos too. only when I really want high quality do I take the Canon out.

Most of my career was in shooting fashion/Tv Ads, and running a commercial photo lab in NYC, so I’m not coming from a low use background, either.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I feel that way about Eye AF, IBIS, etc. but now if Canon doesn't have those things the world will end for some folks.

I will be reposting the attached many times in the weeks ahead, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

- A
One thing we can be sure about is that you will be posting many times in the weeks ahead.

Upvote 0
I'm willing to bet a startling number of people couldn't even care one way or another about this, hard to call it DOA based upon a niche obscure feature that hardly anyone uses.
Sorry I didn't specify, I thought it was implicit, DOA for videographers, unless they're super invested in Canon glass, and even then can be adapted to other mirrorless bodies. Photographers obviously wouldn't and shouldn't care about that.
Hybrid users might not care as much, but the more video a hybrid users does video, the more they'll care.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I’m curious as to what percentage of still camera users really shoot video with it. Sure, on forums we encounter people who do, or say they do, more than what most users do. But if they sell 250,000 cameras in a model, how many of those does it take for the manufacturer to believe they have to accommodate them? And further than that, what subset of these who do shoot video, shoot anything other than at the standard speed? Surely, that’s an even smaller number.

I don’t buy still cameras for video. In fact, these days, I rarely shoot video on anything other than my iPhone. Yes, go ahead and cringe at that, if you will. But after my daughter graduated from high school, I don’t find the need for big cameras and lenses for my video needs (and to be honest, despite my 5DmkIV, and good selection of lenses), I use my iPhone for most of my photos too. only when I really want high quality do I take the Canon out.

Most of my career was in shooting fashion/Tv Ads, and running a commercial photo lab in NYC, so I’m not coming from a low use background, either.

And that was Canon's point with the 5D4 - that if you want serious video get a video camera and camera, and their research apparently showed that in general people shooting video with DSLRs shot short segments of video to supplement their stills, not the other way round. I am cynical to some extent in that the processors they had could not handle the volume of FF 4k, and it did smack a bit of post-facto justification but my guess is that it did not worry Canon too much in making that decision.

Unfortunately most people now get their reviews from places like youtube with content driven by people who are, by definition vloggers who seem to value 4k very highly (even though most of them shoot 1080p) and because of that they get disproportionate voice in what they believe the 'average market' wants. And these same vloggers are often not professoinal reviewers so they pick on topic du jour things that are easily pointed out, and 4k, 60p/120p, whatever is part of that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Sorry I didn't specify, I thought it was implicit, DOA for videographers, unless they're super invested in Canon glass, and even then can be adapted to other mirrorless bodies. Photographers obviously wouldn't and shouldn't care about that.
Hybrid users might not care as much, but the more video a hybrid users does video, the more they'll care.
no, you're talking video people that do slo-mo which is a niche of a niche.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
If and only if 1) Everyone who has access to the information is eligible for a bonus, and 2) nobody offers the employees a compensation higher than the bonus.

Eventually something slips because Rome needs to prepare Gaul for the news.

There are things they can do to keep everything in the electronic space -- photos, manuals, collaterals, etc. -- locked into a turnkey sort of system that is impossible to export without some bush-league screen cap action. They also can aggressively police and account for prototypes as they build everything from what I understand. And evaluators are (presumably) under death sentence sort of NDAs, one would presume.

But eventually it comes out. Somewhere in the chain, how the sausage is made is outside of the imperious direct control of Canon corporate. Cartons and the labeling upon them need to get made. Certifications need to be earned. Manuals need to get printed. Promo videos, tutorials, first look videos, etc. get made by DPR, B&H, etc. and then it's just a matter of time.

...and then Nokishita shows us what we're getting and CR Guy nails down the specs. (y)

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Yeah tell that to the wedding videographers... Not exactly niche of a niche.
and yet again. the amount of wedding photographers that shoot video and on top of that shoot slow motion video of the needs of 120fps that don't already have a solution to do so and on top of that are small enough of a shop to not use a proper video camera with proper video ergonomics,etc are certainly a niche of a niche

Upvote 0
and yet again. the amount of wedding photographers that shoot video and on top of that shoot slow motion video of the needs of 120fps that don't already have a solution to do so and on top of that are small enough of a shop to not use a proper video camera with proper video ergonomics,etc are certainly a niche of a niche
Wedding photographer != Wedding videographer
Wedding videography is a niche, just like anything else. If you're a wedding videographer in 2018, and you're cinematic/artistic at all, I guarantee you they're shooting at least in 60fps for a majority of their footage, sans any parts that are spoken. So no, not niche of a niche..

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Yeah tell that to the wedding videographers... Not exactly niche of a niche.

And my guess is that they are taking advantage of something in the camera they have bought, and the ability to shoot 120fps slow mo is highly (nay,
extremely) unlikely to be any part of the buying decision.
I am not denying some use it, but am questioning the importance of it to the market. I use the focus bracketing on my Panasonic camera but I would not buy a camera on that basis alone.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Wedding photographer != Wedding videographer
Wedding videography is a niche, just like anything else. If you're a wedding videographer in 2018, and you're cinematic/artistic at all, I guarantee you they're shooting at least in 60fps for a majority of their footage, sans any parts that are spoken. So no, not niche of a niche..
moving the goal posts or attempting to?
and again, this is getting tiresome. the need for 120fps is a niche. period. and videographers that want to use a stills camera with consumer grade codecs and lackluster ergonomics for video instead of getting a proper video camera with video ergonomics and great codecs tailored for the medium?
it's most certainly a niche (of the buying public) of which a niche would be those that needed 120fps instead of 60fps slo motion video.
I know there's this all consuming concept of thinking that your needs are those needs of the general buying public but canon with thier massive marketshare has ALREADY demonstrated that having good video isn't necessary to sell cameras.

Upvote 0

I dont know man, but the amount of video footage that is being uploadede every day to youtube alone, is staggering. Moste of it might be shot on phones, but I will bet you that a huge amount is shot on still-cameras. Video is a growing market. It bewilders me that canon isn't pushing there video features more. 120 frames is wicket useful to anybody trying to make video, with a high production value on a budget. It could be that I have blinders on because of the kind of work that I do, but I dont think it is without reason that people keep bringing up 4k and 1080p,120 farms/s.

Just look at these stats: https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/youtube-statistics/

400 hours of video uploaded every minut :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am not denying some use it, but am questioning the importance of it to the market.
Fair point. All that I will say is this: Can I make a perfectly fine video topping out at 60fps? Sure, absolutely, I do it right now. Would I love 120fps to have more options on the editing board, hell yes! Will it decide on whether I want to upgrade to the new new canon or a different brand, for sure. I'm seriously weighing all of my options right now.
And maybe it's niche to you, but more and more people are getting into video, the niche of niche as was called is getting smaller and smaller. Personally I do photos + video. So being able to have all in one package is really important to me. I already have 2 pelicans worth of gear, not including light stands and whatnot that I have outside of my pelicans. So consolidating a video camera AND stills camera in one box is really important to me. The less stuff I have to carry the better, and thus I want the best bang for the buck in both worlds.
I don't think that's too much to ask.

Upvote 0