Is the new Canon full frame mirrorless called the EOS R?

Aug 21, 2018
Is it safe to buy more sigma EF lens or wait until the announcement?
I personally stopped buying lenses months ago and will not resume purchasing until the announcement.

If this new system offers what I'm looking for and I decide to stay with Canon, I will be picking up a 35mm f1.4L ASAP

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I’m curious as to what percentage of still camera users really shoot video with it. Sure, on forums we encounter people who do, or say they do, more than what most users do. But if they sell 250,000 cameras in a model, how many of those does it take for the manufacturer to believe they have to accommodate them? And further than that, what subset of these who do shoot video, shoot anything other than at the standard speed? Surely, that’s an even smaller number.

I don’t buy still cameras for video. In fact, these days, I rarely shoot video on anything other than my iPhone. Yes, go ahead and cringe at that, if you will. But after my daughter graduated from high school, I don’t find the need for big cameras and lenses for my video needs (and to be honest, despite my 5DmkIV, and good selection of lenses), I use my iPhone for most of my photos too. only when I really want high quality do I take the Canon out.

Most of my career was in shooting fashion/Tv Ads, and running a commercial photo lab in NYC, so I’m not coming from a low use background, either.

Agree with you -- I never use my SLR to shoot video. I use my iPhone.

But have you been to this site called [checks glasses] ...Youtube? ;)

Vloggers, product reviewers, social media folks, budding internet personalities, etc. by the truckoads are carving out their niche online, and they (largely) aren't doing it with GoPros or phones. A solid ILC with strong video (and we can define that a thousand ways) is in demand. Whether they need a FF product to do that, however, is something we could surely debate. Perhaps an M50, 80D, etc. would be an easier move for them, but I'm guessing if they shoot enough it would spur interest in FF.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Agree with you -- I never use my SLR to shoot video. I use my iPhone.

But have you been to this site called [checks glasses] ...Youtube? ;)

Vloggers, product reviewers, social media folks, budding internet personalities, etc. by the truckoads are carving out their niche online, and they (largely) aren't doing it with GoPros or phones. A solid ILC with strong video (and we can define that a thousand ways) is in demand. Whether they need a FF product to do that, however, is something we could surely debate. Perhaps an M50, 80D, etc. would be an easier move for them, but I'm guessing if they shoot enough it would spur FF interest in FF.

- A
FF for youtube videos and other video work that is intended to be high quality is a good option. The low light performance and image quality of the FF sensor makes a big difference... I've used both.

The one exception is the 6DMII in which case the low light performance is much better than crop but the image quality is the same at best and in some cases lower. (I have a 6DM2 and am speaking from first hand experience)

Upvote 0
I personally stopped buying lenses months ago and will not resume purchasing until the announcement.

If this new system offers what I'm looking for and I decide to stay with Canon, I will be picking up a 35mm f1.4L ASAP

Sigma 135 1.8 Art/Sigma 105 1.4 would work well with Sony if Canon FF mirrorless is lackluster.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
And that was Canon's point with the 5D4 - that if you want serious video get a video camera and camera, and their research apparently showed that in general people shooting video with DSLRs shot short segments of video to supplement their stills, not the other way round. I am cynical to some extent in that the processors they had could not handle the volume of FF 4k, and it did smack a bit of post-facto justification but my guess is that it did not worry Canon too much in making that decision.

I'm not a ringer on video, but it seems things went like this:

1) 5D2 launched. Mad consumer ILC video making phenomenon ensues. :D
2) Canon does some financial soul-searching as to how best to make money off of this. :unsure:
3) Canon launches the Cinema EOS line.
4) The 5-series does not make a major video leap forward with the 5D3 -- quite possibly to avoid stealing Cinema EOS premium dollars. Yet that camera sells brilliantly over a long period of time.
5) Canon says 'I knew it' and realizes what the 5-series is for: it is for stills first and foremost, but it's no slouch if you need high quality video.
6) The 5D4 gets some huge stills IQ upgrades but somewhat limited 4k. To Canon's credit, they left the AA filter in to not truly enrage the video world.

I see the 5-series as a diplomat that has to speak both languages, but it has a mother tongue, and that language is stills.

I don't say that to blow off video specs or concerns there -- it's just my read on where Canon's priorities are.

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I dont know man, but the amount of video footage that is being uploadede every day to youtube alone, is staggering. Moste of it might be shot on phones, but I will bet you that a huge amount is shot on still-cameras. Video is a growing market. It bewilders me that canon isn't pushing there video features more. 120 frames is wicket useful to anybody trying to make video, with a high production value on a budget. It could be that I have blinders on because of the kind of work that I do, but I dont think it is without reason that people keep bringing up 4k and 1080p,120 farms/s.

Just look at these stats: https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/youtube-statistics/

400 hours of video uploaded every minut :eek:

I watch MSNBC online thru Youtube. There is typically 10 or more uploads of the same show. I don't know how may uploads there really are as NBC actively pulls them down. I have searched for music on YouTube and for each legit video there are XX number of illegal shares.

After you subtract all the copies that are being uploaded, how many new content is actually uploaded?

I regularly watch some photography, homesteading, survival, hiking music and car videos on Youtube, so Youtube automatically suggest new channels for me to watch. I don't see too many new channels nor too many independent videos being shot. Most of what I see are Youtubers who are making a living from YouTube videos and consistently put out content. These guys spend the time and money to make good productions. For the outdoors type channels, they mostly have drones to capture different perspectives. It seems to me that they are willing to spend the money to make the money - but they are few and far between. Casual users who post on Youtube who do slo-mo... I'll keep my eyes open but I don't recall seeing any.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sigma 135 1.8 Art/Sigma 105 1.4 would work well with Sony if Canon FF mirrorless is lackluster.

Who do you trust more?
  • A7 + an adaptor from either Sigma or Metabones that may / may not have a licensed AF routine

• Canon + an adaptor Canon made that will drive DPAF identically to a native EF mount
That's a no-brainer to me -- unless Sigma licensed Sony's AF vs. Sigma reverse engineering Canon's.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Eventually something slips because Rome needs to prepare Gaul for the news.

There are things they can do to keep everything in the electronic space -- photos, manuals, collaterals, etc. -- locked into a turnkey sort of system that is impossible to export without some bush-league screen cap action.

Canon can prevent people from taking photos of the screen with a smartphone? Impressive!

Upvote 0
It's only natural for Canon to take R seeing that Nikon chose Z and Leica already had Q. Canon, of course, also has C so things make perfect sense.

Other than they are all letters of the alphabet, it makes no sense.
Add to it that Canon claimed R as meaning Resolution.
C meaning Cinema.
Why would a <30 mp body use a R?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Or maybe the RF mount has the same mounting ring as an EF but RF lenses protrude well into the camera housing to get a lower flange distance (i.e. the mount is not at the end of the lens, but part way up the barrel to make up that flange difference). It could mean that the camera housing doesn't save size, but some RF lenses could be more like pancake lenses on the body so the mounted size is reduced (for lenses where that's possible i.e. wide angle, slow aperture). EF-S protrudes into the housing somewhat and the lenses are built so they won't mount on EF mount cameras - I wonder if they could do the same with RF but have a more pronounced protrusion into the body?

If this were the case, then weather sealing shouldn't be impacted, mount adapters wouldn't be needed, and the same size saving options could be possible. The only caveat here would be no using an adapter to mount mirrorless lenses from other systems to the Canon system (not that Canon would mind), unlike Nikon's mirrorless which now has the lowest flange distance and should be able to mount anything once adaptors are built.

But then the throat diameter starts to limit lens design. I don't think Canon wants to do that with short back focus lens designs.

Upvote 0