Is the new Canon full frame mirrorless called the EOS R?

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
If it's really 1080p@60 , then afaiac it's another piece of garbage from Canon. Canon's intention above everything else is to protect their more expensive line video cameras. Canon can go F themselves.

Canon's reply:

"If you want a real video camera for a still camera price, get it from someone else. Thanks for asking, though."

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
R is for Renaissance
A new Canon, no holding back on technology . 24mp at 20FPS, eye focus, silent shutter, EF compatible mount
Or R is for the Real world
New mount with adapter, 28mp, 6.5 FPS, no eyefocus, inferior focusing system.
I can’t wait to find out

I have never seen stock in a very specific feature climb so high in value in such a short period of time as Eye AF.

I've never used it before, but can someone convey to me how it went from being a neat new feature to 'if Canon's next camera doesn't have it, I'm setting my house on fire'?

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I watch MSNBC online thru Youtube. There is typically 10 or more uploads of the same show. I don't know how may uploads there really are as NBC actively pulls them down. I have searched for music on YouTube and for each legit video there are XX number of illegal shares.

After you subtract all the copies that are being uploaded, how many new content is actually uploaded?

I regularly watch some photography, homesteading, survival, hiking music and car videos on Youtube, so Youtube automatically suggest new channels for me to watch. I don't see too many new channels nor too many independent videos being shot. Most of what I see are Youtubers who are making a living from YouTube videos and consistently put out content. These guys spend the time and money to make good productions. For the outdoors type channels, they mostly have drones to capture different perspectives. It seems to me that they are willing to spend the money to make the money - but they are few and far between. Casual users who post on Youtube who do slo-mo... I'll keep my eyes open but I don't recall seeing any.

I think it is mostly the very popular stuff that gets re-uploaded. I am guessing that the re-oploads only comprise a relatively small fraction of the actual 400 hours a minut, worth of uploads. But lets say re-uploads were 50% of all uploads. 200 hours a minut, is still staggering and that is on youtube alone.

You mention droneshots as being popular. The DJI Maveric drone is actually capable of 120 frames/s in 1080p, so they thought it was important enough to incorporate. The Iphone has been capable of 240 frames/s since version 6, and I see a lot of those super slo-mo videos on instagram, from people my age and younger. I call that pretty casual use of slo-mo.

Now I know High frame rates are a lot harder to implement on larger, high megapixel sensors. But to say that the utility of slo-mo is to niche to prioritise in a high end DSLR or Mirrorles , really clashes with my experience as a creator and a consumer of media content.

But I guess we will never know, less we conduct a thorough study :)

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
This is wrong. The enthusiast camera will be A10, the pro camera will be z8. The mount will be 97.5 mm wide with a 1mm backspace to allow unprecedented lens designs. A 49mm f/0.6 lens will be delivered to your home on the announcement day if you've behaved well on the internets. The sensor, using patented Schrodinger filter technology will allow simultaneous exposure bracketing.* The advanced DIGIC Skynet processor with new machine learning software will learn your shooting habits and eventually take control of your camera and perform photo shoots without you even being present!**

I'd bet my entire Sony lens collection on it.

*unfortunately, only the exposure you observe first will be retained
**Canon recommends that you keep sharp objects and weapons safely stored and out of reach of your camera

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have never seen stock in a very specific feature climb so high in value in such a short period of time as Eye AF.

I've never used it before, but can someone convey to me how it went from being a neat new feature to 'if Canon's next camera doesn't have it, I'm setting my house on fire'?

- A

I think it makes sens, as much as eye AF is af feature uniq to mirrorless. So one of the points in getting a mirrorless is to get this kind of functionality. If it is not included I think you are right to be a bit bummed out. Just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
I think it makes sens, as much as eye AF is af feature uniq to mirrorless. So one of the points in getting a mirrorless is to get this kind of functionality. If it is not included I think you are right to be a bit bummed out. Just my opinion.

Personally, I can't wait for dual FF sensor cameras so they can simulate bokeh.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
This is where I strongly disagree.

Why can't both coexist? The technology in the sensor and processor is already there... it makes no sense to me to leave out video.

they can co-exist. As long as i get to buy Pure stills cameras. Hybrid Stills+Video should be offered as a "special version" for some cameras, with excellent video specs and consequently higher price for dual capability. It would hopefully also end the forums howling re. "no 4k video", "nerfed Codec", etc.

For my use, video recording is a negative. It causes design choices in cameras, that are detrimental to stills capture. Sensors and all need to be optimized for extended periods of full-bore video capture with large heat dissipation. Red "Record-Video" buttons in all sorts of places disturb my clean user interface. Video-stuff clutters my menus without user being able to totally remove/suppress those options. Thanks, but no thanks. "Pure stills camera" for me please. Don't understand, why CaNiSo do not offer those. I think it is a much larger niche than those who really need/want stills+video.

Upvote 0
Who do you trust more?
  • A7 + an adaptor from either Sigma or Metabones that may / may not have a licensed AF routine

• Canon + an adaptor Canon made that will drive DPAF identically to a native EF mount
That's a no-brainer to me -- unless Sigma licensed Sony's AF vs. Sigma reverse engineering Canon's.

- A
Canon obviously, but Sigma latest lens perform just as well as native lens. Just watch some Dustin review. He mentioned there might be some Sigma licensing. It's conspiracy theory but it works well.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Sony's implementation of it is very good. That's my only experience with it. I could see it being very useful . It's a nice use of technology. If they could add a bird focus that would be handy too.

Upvote 0
Canon's reply:

"If you want a real video camera for a still camera price, get it from someone else. Thanks for asking, though."
This is the same debate that people had when the 6d mark II was rumored and then released. The lack of 120fps on video and 4K. People were losing their shit and telling people to go screw themselves and switch canon to something else or buy a dedicated video camera. Those people are dumb! Why switch or get a video camera for something that all other manufacture camera companies offer already and have so for years. We just would like canon to catch up with the times. That's all. At least 120 on 1080 would make this perfect. We are in the film making youtube and instagram world. Where photography and video is blended into one and traveling light is essential.

Upvote 0
R could stand for retract as the new Canon will possibly have a mount that moves outwards when an EF lens is attached.
Remember some rumor said the new EOS will have "a sexy solution" to adapt EF lenses.
Sounds to me like something movin in and outwards maybe ...

That would be sad, since one of the main draw of mirrorless is fewer moving parts. Remove one moving component and develop and add an entirely new one.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Fair point. All that I will say is this: Can I make a perfectly fine video topping out at 60fps? Sure, absolutely, I do it right now. Would I love 120fps to have more options on the editing board, hell yes! Will it decide on whether I want to upgrade to the new new canon or a different brand, for sure. I'm seriously weighing all of my options right now.
And maybe it's niche to you, but more and more people are getting into video, the niche of niche as was called is getting smaller and smaller. Personally I do photos + video. So being able to have all in one package is really important to me. I already have 2 pelicans worth of gear, not including light stands and whatnot that I have outside of my pelicans. So consolidating a video camera AND stills camera in one box is really important to me. The less stuff I have to carry the better, and thus I want the best bang for the buck in both worlds.
I don't think that's too much to ask.

And that is it right there. The vast majority of Canon sales do not go to people with 2 pelicans of gear who are looking to reduce that to one and a half pelicans of gear.
And although you would 'love' 120fps, what percentage of your output actually uses it?

And yet is people such as yourself who probably posts on youtube, concentrating on an output that is a minority of what you shoot, which give the distorted impression that video is so important to the market. And yet it is you who is the out-of-normal user.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
they can co-exist. As long as i get to buy Pure stills cameras.

Here's the last significant 'pure stills' camera from a major manufacturer:
1526_DF_left.png
And by last, I mean the last flippin one the world ever will see.

I respect Fullstop's comment about messing with buttons and controls -- a fair insight (albeit a fairly picky one). I ultimately think this is a referendum on:
  • What we want to read about here (many of us tune out when 10:2:2 or codecs or video crop get cited). For some, seeing video comments is similar to hearing a different language on the radio and immediately changing the channel.

• Whether or not a 'pure stills' or heavily stills-flavored camera should still have an AA filter. (To a still person who isn't shooting fabrics or screen doors all day, the AA filter becomes the concession they wish Canon would stop making to video folks.)
But video is simply not going away, esp. as we (someday) move into an era of mostly mirrorless ILCs, pulling stills from better and better quality video, etc.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0