News Flash: Good news for some, bad news for others

Nokishita has updated their information and included information on the mount. It does indeed appear that the RF mount is a shorter registration than the EF mount, and it requires an adapter to use EF lenses.
That is sure to please some that want to adapt lenses to the RF mount, and will disappoint others that were hoping for native EF compatibility as we surmised before.
From Nokishita;
M adapter R was confirmed with “Mount Adapter EF – EOS R”. Three types of mount adapters are available with control ring and drop-in filter.
The ability to use drop-in filters will certainly make this more than just your regular “dumb” adapter and add useful benefit to using EF lenses on an RF mount.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Adapters are just not fun even if they're free. I'd rather just get new lenses, but if I'm going to do that, Sony has a lot more niches covered with their mirrorless EF lens lineup.

What do you mean, Sony EF lenses?

I personally preferred the native EF option, but a lot of people seem to manage fine with adaptors.

Upvote 0
What do you mean, Sony EF lenses?

I personally preferred the native EF option, but a lot of people seem to manage fine with adaptors.
Sorry, Sony FE lenses. There are about ten good ones for every mirrorless lens of Canon and Nikon combined so far. And it will be this way for well into next decade. And yes, I was all about EF compatibility for Canon EOS R cameras. Considering the 300+ lenses that wouldn't require a janky adapter to mount.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
Adapters are just not fun even if they're free. I'd rather just get new lenses, but if I'm going to do that, Sony has a lot more niches covered with their mirrorless EF lens lineup.

What is the difference between mounting a lens to a flange on a body and mounting it to a flange on an adapter? I haven’t noticed any difference myself.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
While in the ideal world, a direct EF mount would be easiest when changing lenses, but this would compromise future lens design.
I use the adapter for my EF lenses on my M3. I also use my 1.4x converter on my 200/2.8 and 400/5.6. Plus I use the EF extension tube and life size converter on various lenses. They are solid and work well. I have no qualms with an adapter for any new mirrorless. The key issue is the focusing protocol and mechanics. Most EF lenses are not optimised for focusing with mirrorless cameras. I expect that this will be the limitation, not the physical extension.
A smaller flange distance will give Canon more options in lens design.
I'm okay with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0