Canon Speedlite EL-100 confirmed

Jul 21, 2010
Hopefully that LED on the front acts as a focus light, hence the L designation. Would be great to have them put the AF-assist beam in a compact flash.
Sorry, what LED on the front? That 'window' on the right side under the flash head looks 'black', meaning it's likely either the receiver for optical slave signals, the transmitter for remote camera triggering, or both.

Upvote 0
Sorry, what LED on the front? That 'window' on the right side under the flash head looks 'black', meaning it's likely either the receiver for optical slave signals, the transmitter for remote camera triggering, or both.
Please get me a question, Neuro.
When I use my 430EX ii with a DSLR in Live View mode, the infrared assist beam does not work.

When you use the 600EX in your EOS-M6 (essentially a type of Live View), the speedlite emits infrared assist beam?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SilverBox

I'm not new here
CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018

The 270EX ii has a receiver for optical slave but it was not well received, and I would personally be a lot more excited for an AF emitter vs the ability to optically fire such a low power flash.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The 270EX ii has a receiver for optical slave but it was not well received, and I would personally be a lot more excited for an AF emitter vs the ability to optically fire such a low power flash.
Regardless, based on the picture of the flash the window isn't the red plastic cover of an AF assist emitter, but rather the black plastic cover of an optical receiver and/or wireless transmitter.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Please get me a question, Neuro.
When I use my 430EX ii with a DSLR in Live View mode, the infrared assist beam does not work.

When you use the 600EX in your EOS-M6 (essentially a type of Live View), the speedlite emits infrared assist beam?
The M6 is a poor test case, since the camera itself has an AF assist lamp built into the body and thus no need to fire the AF assist of a mounted Speedlite.

On a DSLR, the red assist lamp of a mounted Speedlite only works in Live View if the Live View AF mode is set to Quick AF (which actually flips down the mirror to use the dedicated PDAF sensor). Currently only the 320EX can provide AF assist in live view with Live or Face Detect AF, since the 320EX has an LED lamp (for video, but it's also used for AF assist).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The GN of the EL-100 is 26, not only 10 as the 100 in its name may suggest.
So it is not that weak as some thought.

The Flash can be used as optical master and as slave. No RF functionality.

The angle of light Distribution can be switched between 24mm and 50mm.
Evidently new nomenclature, but why? Similar to the 270EX II but taller (which is good) and with rotation.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Evidently new nomenclature, but why?
Good question, because throughout the last few decades almost every flash maker put the GN into the product name.
That was good so everybody could read the main feature of a flash out of the name.
Now you've got to read specs :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

Good question, because throughout the last few decades almost every flash maker put the GN into the product name.
That was good so everybody could read the main feature of a flash out of the name.
Now you've got to read specs :rolleyes:
Don't know whether the GN decreases that much, but maybe the GN is only 10 in the 24mm Position.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Don't know whether the GN decreases that much, but maybe the GN is only 10 in the 24mm Position.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
Normally you can read from the spec sheet how the GN is determined, eg. here
" The Guide No. is approximately 49.2 ft./15m at ISO 100.

The maximum Guide No. is approximately 196.9 ft./60m at ISO 100 and 200mm flash coverage."

For further details see also here.

Upvote 0